Database Files to be Copied from Backup Image - No BCM Backup Data

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeff

Hi,

I have spent quite a bit of time searching for an answer to this question

tonight; but, I have not had any success with the methods that I have read.

I recently had a hard drive crash (RAID1 data corruption on both drives),

only to find out that the external backups would not verify, and therefore

were only good to copy files from.

I would like to restore Business Contact Manager to the state it was in

before the disaster. (I know I should have a backup copy using BCM's utility;

but, I don't.) I was able to copy the .ldf and .mdf files which will get me

pretty close.

I am running Outlook 2007 with BCM on a 32 bit Vista workstation (i.e.

stand-alone) machine.

I know that restoring BCM via the files isn't just a matter of

cut-and-paste; but, I am confused by the SQL database references and other

details. I am fine with the details; but, I am afraid I may misunderstand

instructions which are intended for another system or circumstance.

I have tried starting a new BCM database, then shutting down Outlook,

followed by stopping the SQL server for BCM, then renaming the .ldf and .mdf

files from the previous system state to the new database name, restarting the

SQL server, and then restarting Outlook. When I attempt to view the database

information, I am told that access is denied (Error 5).

Am I making this harder than it needs to be?

In case I confused the real issue... I want to be able to use the older

database (from about 2 weeks ago) in place of the database I created tonight.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Jeff
 
D

DL

Not an answer I know, but have you asertained what caused this data

corruption? I would be a shame to reconfigure only to suffer corruption

again

"Jeff" <Jeff> wrote in message

news:8AAE4EB1-B3B1-4531-A6A7-E6E129CA05BE@microsoft.com...
> Hi,

> I have spent quite a bit of time searching for an answer to this question
> tonight; but, I have not had any success with the methods that I have
> read.

> I recently had a hard drive crash (RAID1 data corruption on both drives),
> only to find out that the external backups would not verify, and therefore
> were only good to copy files from.

> I would like to restore Business Contact Manager to the state it was in
> before the disaster. (I know I should have a backup copy using BCM's
> utility;
> but, I don't.) I was able to copy the .ldf and .mdf files which will get
> me
> pretty close.

> I am running Outlook 2007 with BCM on a 32 bit Vista workstation (i.e.
> stand-alone) machine.

> I know that restoring BCM via the files isn't just a matter of
> cut-and-paste; but, I am confused by the SQL database references and other
> details. I am fine with the details; but, I am afraid I may misunderstand
> instructions which are intended for another system or circumstance.

> I have tried starting a new BCM database, then shutting down Outlook,
> followed by stopping the SQL server for BCM, then renaming the .ldf and
> .mdf
> files from the previous system state to the new database name, restarting
> the
> SQL server, and then restarting Outlook. When I attempt to view the
> database
> information, I am told that access is denied (Error 5).

> Am I making this harder than it needs to be?

> In case I confused the real issue... I want to be able to use the older
> database (from about 2 weeks ago) in place of the database I created
> tonight.

> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> Thanks

> Jeff
 
J

Jeff

Re: Database Files to be Copied from Backup Image - No BCM Backup

Hi DL,

The nightmare started when I ran Diskeeper's boot-time defrag with chkdsk.

It rendered my system unbootable.

Jeff

"DL" wrote:


> Not an answer I know, but have you asertained what caused this data
> corruption? I would be a shame to reconfigure only to suffer corruption
> again

> "Jeff" <Jeff> wrote in message
> news:8AAE4EB1-B3B1-4531-A6A7-E6E129CA05BE@microsoft.com...
> > Hi,
> > I have spent quite a bit of time searching for an answer to this question
> > tonight; but, I have not had any success with the methods that I have
> > read.
> > I recently had a hard drive crash (RAID1 data corruption on both drives),
> > only to find out that the external backups would not verify, and therefore
> > were only good to copy files from.
> > I would like to restore Business Contact Manager to the state it was in
> > before the disaster. (I know I should have a backup copy using BCM's
> > utility;
> > but, I don't.) I was able to copy the .ldf and .mdf files which will get
> > me
> > pretty close.
> > I am running Outlook 2007 with BCM on a 32 bit Vista workstation (i.e.
> > stand-alone) machine.
> > I know that restoring BCM via the files isn't just a matter of
> > cut-and-paste; but, I am confused by the SQL database references and other
> > details. I am fine with the details; but, I am afraid I may misunderstand
> > instructions which are intended for another system or circumstance.
> > I have tried starting a new BCM database, then shutting down Outlook,
> > followed by stopping the SQL server for BCM, then renaming the .ldf and
> > .mdf
> > files from the previous system state to the new database name, restarting
> > the
> > SQL server, and then restarting Outlook. When I attempt to view the
> > database
> > information, I am told that access is denied (Error 5).
> > Am I making this harder than it needs to be?
> > In case I confused the real issue... I want to be able to use the older
> > database (from about 2 weeks ago) in place of the database I created
> > tonight.
> > Any help would be greatly appreciated.
> > Thanks
> > Jeff


>
 
L

Luther Blissett

Re: Database Files to be Copied from Backup Image - No BCM Backup

On Jul 5, 6:34 am, Jeff <J...> wrote:
> Hi DL,

> The nightmare started when I ran Diskeeper's boot-time defrag with chkdsk..
> It rendered my system unbootable.

> Jeff

> "DL" wrote:
> > Not an answer I know, but have you asertained what caused this data
> > corruption? I would be a shame to reconfigure only to suffer corruption
> > again

>
> > "Jeff" <J...> wrote in message
> >news:8AAE4EB1-B3B1-4531-A6A7-E6E129CA05BE@microsoft.com...
> > > Hi,

>
> > > I have spent quite a bit of time searching for an answer to this question
> > > tonight; but, I have not had any success with the methods that I have
> > > read.

>
> > > I recently had a hard drive crash (RAID1 data corruption on both drives),
> > > only to find out that the external backups would not verify, and therefore
> > > were only good to copy files from.

>
> > > I would like to restore Business Contact Manager to the state it was in
> > > before the disaster. (I know I should have a backup copy using BCM's
> > > utility;
> > > but, I don't.) I was able to copy the .ldf and .mdf files which will get
> > > me
> > > pretty close.

>
> > > I am running Outlook 2007 with BCM on a 32 bit Vista workstation (i.e..
> > > stand-alone) machine.

>
> > > I know that restoring BCM via the files isn't just a matter of
> > > cut-and-paste; but, I am confused by the SQL database references and other
> > > details. I am fine with the details; but, I am afraid I may misunderstand
> > > instructions which are intended for another system or circumstance.

>
> > > I have tried starting a new BCM database, then shutting down Outlook,
> > > followed by stopping the SQL server for BCM, then renaming the .ldf and
> > > .mdf
> > > files from the previous system state to the new database name, restarting
> > > the
> > > SQL server, and then restarting Outlook. When I attempt to view the
> > > database
> > > information, I am told that access is denied (Error 5).

>
> > > Am I making this harder than it needs to be?

>
> > > In case I confused the real issue... I want to be able to use the older
> > > database (from about 2 weeks ago) in place of the database I created
> > > tonight.

>
> > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

>
> > > Thanks

>
> > > Jeff-




If you've rebuilt the machine, even if you have the same user and

password, but don't have a domain controller (i.e. you have a

workgroup LAN), then Windows won't think you are the same user. I

believe what happens is that Windows generates an ID when you create a

new user, and Sql Server won't consider this new user the same as the

user that backed-up the database.

What you need to do is make your user have full permission on sql

server -- the default if you installed Sql. Then you need to attach

the bcm database (the MDF file) to BCM sql instance (MSSMLBIZ). You

can use Sql Management Studio to do that. Then once mounted, you need

to take ownership of the database, and then BCM be able to connect to

the database without permission errors.

The sql command for taking ownership of a database has been discussed

before. You should be able to find the sql sommand for doing so by

searching this group.
 
J

Jeff

Re: Database Files to be Copied from Backup Image - No BCM Backup

Hi Luther,

Thanks for your reply.

I will search for the topic you discussed. Thank you.

This morning when I opened Outlook, I received a slightly different set of

messages. Today I was told that BCM could not connect to the shared database

and asked if I wanted to work offline. When I said no, Outlook completed

loading; but, there was no drop-down for BCM. Maybe it is part of the same

problem, or not. I thought I would at least post this since you were kind

enough to respond to my original post.

Take Care

Jeff

"Luther Blissett" wrote:


> On Jul 5, 6:34 am, Jeff <J...> wrote:
> > Hi DL,
> > The nightmare started when I ran Diskeeper's boot-time defrag with chkdsk..
> > It rendered my system unbootable.
> > Jeff
> > "DL" wrote:
> > > Not an answer I know, but have you asertained what caused this data
> > > corruption? I would be a shame to reconfigure only to suffer corruption
> > > again

> >
> > > "Jeff" <J...> wrote in message
> > >news:8AAE4EB1-B3B1-4531-A6A7-E6E129CA05BE@microsoft.com...
> > > > Hi,

> >
> > > > I have spent quite a bit of time searching for an answer to this question
> > > > tonight; but, I have not had any success with the methods that I have
> > > > read.

> >
> > > > I recently had a hard drive crash (RAID1 data corruption on both drives),
> > > > only to find out that the external backups would not verify, and therefore
> > > > were only good to copy files from.

> >
> > > > I would like to restore Business Contact Manager to the state it was in
> > > > before the disaster. (I know I should have a backup copy using BCM's
> > > > utility;
> > > > but, I don't.) I was able to copy the .ldf and .mdf files which will get
> > > > me
> > > > pretty close.

> >
> > > > I am running Outlook 2007 with BCM on a 32 bit Vista workstation (i.e..
> > > > stand-alone) machine.

> >
> > > > I know that restoring BCM via the files isn't just a matter of
> > > > cut-and-paste; but, I am confused by the SQL database references and other
> > > > details. I am fine with the details; but, I am afraid I may misunderstand
> > > > instructions which are intended for another system or circumstance.

> >
> > > > I have tried starting a new BCM database, then shutting down Outlook,
> > > > followed by stopping the SQL server for BCM, then renaming the .ldf and
> > > > .mdf
> > > > files from the previous system state to the new database name, restarting
> > > > the
> > > > SQL server, and then restarting Outlook. When I attempt to view the
> > > > database
> > > > information, I am told that access is denied (Error 5).

> >
> > > > Am I making this harder than it needs to be?

> >
> > > > In case I confused the real issue... I want to be able to use the older
> > > > database (from about 2 weeks ago) in place of the database I created
> > > > tonight.

> >
> > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> >
> > > > Thanks

> >
> > > > Jeff-

>


> If you've rebuilt the machine, even if you have the same user and
> password, but don't have a domain controller (i.e. you have a
> workgroup LAN), then Windows won't think you are the same user. I
> believe what happens is that Windows generates an ID when you create a
> new user, and Sql Server won't consider this new user the same as the
> user that backed-up the database.

> What you need to do is make your user have full permission on sql
> server -- the default if you installed Sql. Then you need to attach
> the bcm database (the MDF file) to BCM sql instance (MSSMLBIZ). You
> can use Sql Management Studio to do that. Then once mounted, you need
> to take ownership of the database, and then BCM be able to connect to
> the database without permission errors.

> The sql command for taking ownership of a database has been discussed
> before. You should be able to find the sql sommand for doing so by
> searching this group.
>
 
J

Jeff

Re: Database Files to be Copied from Backup Image - No BCM Backup

Hi Luther,

I want to make sure I download the correct program.

Is it "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio Express" that I want to

download, or is it "Microsoft SQL Server Management Studio". I can find a

link to download the express version. I just don't want to install (or

attempt to install) the wrong application.

Thanks

Jeff

"Luther Blissett" wrote:


> On Jul 5, 6:34 am, Jeff <J...> wrote:
> > Hi DL,
> > The nightmare started when I ran Diskeeper's boot-time defrag with chkdsk..
> > It rendered my system unbootable.
> > Jeff
> > "DL" wrote:
> > > Not an answer I know, but have you asertained what caused this data
> > > corruption? I would be a shame to reconfigure only to suffer corruption
> > > again

> >
> > > "Jeff" <J...> wrote in message
> > >news:8AAE4EB1-B3B1-4531-A6A7-E6E129CA05BE@microsoft.com...
> > > > Hi,

> >
> > > > I have spent quite a bit of time searching for an answer to this question
> > > > tonight; but, I have not had any success with the methods that I have
> > > > read.

> >
> > > > I recently had a hard drive crash (RAID1 data corruption on both drives),
> > > > only to find out that the external backups would not verify, and therefore
> > > > were only good to copy files from.

> >
> > > > I would like to restore Business Contact Manager to the state it was in
> > > > before the disaster. (I know I should have a backup copy using BCM's
> > > > utility;
> > > > but, I don't.) I was able to copy the .ldf and .mdf files which will get
> > > > me
> > > > pretty close.

> >
> > > > I am running Outlook 2007 with BCM on a 32 bit Vista workstation (i.e..
> > > > stand-alone) machine.

> >
> > > > I know that restoring BCM via the files isn't just a matter of
> > > > cut-and-paste; but, I am confused by the SQL database references and other
> > > > details. I am fine with the details; but, I am afraid I may misunderstand
> > > > instructions which are intended for another system or circumstance.

> >
> > > > I have tried starting a new BCM database, then shutting down Outlook,
> > > > followed by stopping the SQL server for BCM, then renaming the .ldf and
> > > > .mdf
> > > > files from the previous system state to the new database name, restarting
> > > > the
> > > > SQL server, and then restarting Outlook. When I attempt to view the
> > > > database
> > > > information, I am told that access is denied (Error 5).

> >
> > > > Am I making this harder than it needs to be?

> >
> > > > In case I confused the real issue... I want to be able to use the older
> > > > database (from about 2 weeks ago) in place of the database I created
> > > > tonight.

> >
> > > > Any help would be greatly appreciated.

> >
> > > > Thanks

> >
> > > > Jeff-

>


> If you've rebuilt the machine, even if you have the same user and
> password, but don't have a domain controller (i.e. you have a
> workgroup LAN), then Windows won't think you are the same user. I
> believe what happens is that Windows generates an ID when you create a
> new user, and Sql Server won't consider this new user the same as the
> user that backed-up the database.

> What you need to do is make your user have full permission on sql
> server -- the default if you installed Sql. Then you need to attach
> the bcm database (the MDF file) to BCM sql instance (MSSMLBIZ). You
> can use Sql Management Studio to do that. Then once mounted, you need
> to take ownership of the database, and then BCM be able to connect to
> the database without permission errors.

> The sql command for taking ownership of a database has been discussed
> before. You should be able to find the sql sommand for doing so by
> searching this group.
>
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
R How do I reconnect the database files after a system crash? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 11
J No access to a Database BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
G Windows Update Causes BCM Database Access Problem? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
T Lost access to remote BCM database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
L Cannot Connect to BCM database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 9
A Cannot connect to BCM database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
Diane Poremsky Restoring BCM Database After Upgrading Windows New Slipstick.com Articles 0
wallisellener "The database name cannot exceed 50 characters" BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
S Encrypting Exchange Database Exchange Server Administration 0
R Outlook Database to a non-Outlook PC Using Outlook 10
M Modifying BCM Database using Access BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
crazyboy Copying BCM database from backed up mounted image to new drive BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
A use database in other office BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
K Recover/preserve space in database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
P Restoring old sbb database in existing one BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
J Install BCM Client without an local SQl Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
M Sharing of BCM database across the internet BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
Chris Grew Sharing BCM Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
M BCM remote database connection issue BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Updating the database based on received task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J What exactly does the BCM Database tool actually do? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
J How do I get the database tool to recognize my data file? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
C Moving BCM Database to Server Share BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
D Open attached CSV, copy newdata and paste it to database CSV Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K BCM - Connecting to Shared Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
B Can't see database in multiuser BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Passive Mailbox database Resynchronization issue Exchange Server Administration 1
J Can the BCM Database tool be used over VPN? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
D can you share a bcm database with 2 different versions of windows? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
T BCM database scheme BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
E BCM Database Tool Using Outlook 2
G "database is not compatible with BCM for Outlook 2013" & more BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
L BCM database not listed BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
wallisellener database creation failed BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
J No errors from BCM 2007 but can't see database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
P BCM 2013, Microsoft SQL Server 2008 R2 (SP2), attachment issue n database size BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
T BCM Cannot See Existing Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
R catalog Content Index failed-Unable to mount database.(hr=0x80004005,ec=-501) Exchange Server Administration 0
T Shared BCM database on remote server BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C My BCM Database is no longer available to be shared with the Database Tool BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
wallisellener Server configuration for BCM 2013 shared database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 15
S Cannot Find Shared Database on Remote Computer BCM (Business Contact Manager) 13
M BCM in Outlook reports maximum database size to 4GB despite SQL Server 2008 R2 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
M "No database found" but successful connection to SQL server.What am I missing? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
A delete database --> record remnants ?? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
D BCM Database Protection BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
U Exchange 2010 & mailbox database Quotas Exchange Server Administration 1
M BCM 2010 Cannot Connect to Remote Database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J Unable to view History items in BCM 2007 shared database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
E Accessing User Defined Fields in BCM Database part 2 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0

Similar threads

Top