Backup Outlook Data File

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

McFarland

I was in the habit of backing up my Outlook Data file using the "Tools",
"Manage Database", "Backup Database" method. I would back it up to a thumb
drive.
I recently purchased a new computer and reloaded my same version of Outlook.
I went to "file", "open" to access my old saved data. Oddly enough it
imported it, but as a second set of Personal Folders. That's ok with me, I
can deal with that. However, now that I want to backup my files again, the
option for "Manage Database" does not appear under Tools.
I read some of the help threads and didn't find BCM under "help" in order to
enable BCM. I also went to "file" "data file management" but didn't see it
there to "add" either. Any suggestions on how I can backup my files again?
 
D

DL

You have to explicity install BCM, usually its on cd2 of the Office cd set.
The backup tool you were using was for the BCM database, and File>Open does
not reinstate your BCM database.
It doesnt in fact appear you were using BCM for its intended use,
previously. It is not required to install BCM to use outlook.
To backup outlook data its is only neccessary to copy the data files whilst
outlook is closed.

"McFarland" <McFarland> wrote in message
news:0B0C8985-AA9D-4B5E-9C7C-85A50AC5D167@microsoft.com...
>I was in the habit of backing up my Outlook Data file using the "Tools",
> "Manage Database", "Backup Database" method. I would back it up to a thumb
> drive.
> I recently purchased a new computer and reloaded my same version of
> Outlook.
> I went to "file", "open" to access my old saved data. Oddly enough it
> imported it, but as a second set of Personal Folders. That's ok with me, I
> can deal with that. However, now that I want to backup my files again, the
> option for "Manage Database" does not appear under Tools.
> I read some of the help threads and didn't find BCM under "help" in order
> to
> enable BCM. I also went to "file" "data file management" but didn't see it
> there to "add" either. Any suggestions on how I can backup my files again?


 
S

Sun Embraser

On Feb 21, 3:31 am, "DL" <notva...@spoofaddress.co.uk> wrote:
> You have to explicity install BCM, usually its on cd2 of the Office cd set.
> The backup tool you were using was for the BCM database, and File>Open does
> not reinstate your BCM database.
> It doesnt in fact appear you were using BCM for its intended use,
> previously. It is not required to install BCM to use outlook.
> To backup outlook data its is only neccessary to copy the data files whilst
> outlook is closed.
>
> "McFarland" <McFarl...> wrote in message
>
> news:0B0C8985-AA9D-4B5E-9C7C-85A50AC5D167@microsoft.com...
>
>
>
> >I was in the habit of backing up my Outlook Data file using the "Tools",
> > "Manage Database", "Backup Database" method. I would back it up to a thumb
> > drive.
> > I recently purchased a new computer and reloaded my same version of
> > Outlook.
> > I went to "file", "open" to access my old saved data. Oddly enough it
> > imported it, but as a second set of Personal Folders. That's ok with me, I
> > can deal with that. However, now that I want to backup my files again, the
> > option for "Manage Database" does not appear under Tools.
> > I read some of the help threads and didn't find BCM under "help" in order
> > to
> > enable BCM. I also went to "file" "data file management" but didn't seeit
> > there to "add" either. Any suggestions on how I can backup my files again?- Hide quoted text -

>
> - Show quoted text -


DL was right. McFarland, you confused me for a little while, because
you were saying that you backed up your "Outlook" data by using the
"Backup Database" method, but the "Backup Database" method is part of
BCM functionality, and the way you phrased it, you actually did not
back up "Outlook" data... you backed up "BCM" data.

Also, by going to the "Tools" menu to access the "Backup Database"
method, I think you are using Outlook 2003 and BCM 2003. If you were
using Outlook and BCM 2007, the menu name would have been "Business
Contact Manager", and that should have made things less confusing
(that you would know you are dealing with BCM functionaity, instead of
Outlook methods).
 
Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
V Outlook Data File (PST) - Auto Backup Solution Using Outlook 3
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
L Restoring Outlook from backup of OST Using Outlook 5
T Need to backup outlook.com to cloud storage, without desktop software - Testing UpSafe. Are there any similar services? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
M Outlook Backup help needed ASAP Using Outlook 2
S Is it possible to backup Outlook.com/Outlook 2013 Email & Calendar info? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
C Password for backup of Outlook Using Outlook 1
B importing Outlook from a backup on an external hard drive Using Outlook 5
T Using Outlook 2010 in Outlook2003 as backup ? Using Outlook 21
D Outlook 2010 .pst file backup Using Outlook 2
R What to backup before removing Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
E Disappointed in Outlook 2007, backup, restore, synch Using Outlook 5
R How to backup contacts in Outlook 2010 as business cards Using Outlook 1
E Outlook 2007 backup and restore function Using Outlook 2
L Outlook backup tool Using Outlook 5
V IMAP backup Using Outlook 0
V Scheduled backup of imap account Using Outlook 7
R How Can I backup office 365 account? Exchange Server Administration 1
C OST email backup Exchange Server Administration 1
O Backup Office settings - registry key Using Outlook 5
I Backup email account information Using Outlook 2
J Backup .OST - Custom Contact Forms, Defined Fields, Notes Using Outlook 1
S BCM Auto Backup Data and Customizations BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
L Online 3rd party backup of Office 365 cloud New Slipstick.com Articles 5
B changing Win7 default backup schedule for Previous Versions Using Outlook 0
Terradon which file/s to backup? Using Outlook 4
LeeDock Office 365 Personal Backup strategy Using Outlook 1
B Easy to handle backup tool Using Outlook 1
O Personal Folders Backup aftermath Using Outlook 5
D PST file backup Calendar Printing Assistant 1
R Missing Backup command in File menu after installing pfback.exe Using Outlook 2
P Best way to locally backup/archive Gmail? Using Outlook 1
R Recover/export rules from a backup .PST Using Outlook 2
V Backup pst to NAS drive? Using Outlook 4
S Backup custom menus Using Outlook 3
C can't backup OL 2007 (error message 0x80070021) + only done by administrator Using Outlook 1
R Looking for my BCM backup files BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
M Backup Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
O transfer BCM SQL data without backup BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T What is contained in the backup of BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 2
S Scheduled backup for BCM Database Tool BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
J Database Files to be Copied from Backup Image - No BCM Backup Data BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
M Backup and restore E2K7 with Server2K8 Exchange Server Administration 4
Q Automate BCM backup? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
N Exchange 2007 backup on W2K8 Exchange Server Administration 6
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Gmail in Outlook 2010 preview issue Using Outlook 0
I Outlook is stuck at "Updating Calendar" Using Outlook 1
AmonRa Outlook 365 calendar - too much white space Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 Help setting up Gmail account in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
C-S-R How to clear an Outlook (To Do) Task Flag? Using Outlook 8

Similar threads

Top