The source and destination folders for this operation cannot be the same

Status
Not open for further replies.
P

Peter in Australia

I have a new HP lap top with Windows 7 Home Premium. I have loaded on to it my Office 2003 Professional. All of the latter 'works' except that in Outlook I cannot transfer my emails and contacts from my old machine. The data was 'exported' from Outlook on my old machine to its hard drive and then on to my new hard drive via and exteranl hard drive. But I cannot get it into Outlook on my new hard drive

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

It sounds like you are picking the wrong folder to import to. We don't recommend using import when you change computers unless you are changing versions of Office and the old version is more than 1 version older.

How about just copying the pst from the old machine and opening it in the new one? You can set it as default and have everything as it was on the old computer.

R

Roady [MVP]

First, make sure you update Office 2003 to SP3 level with additional updates.
Second, configure Outlook 2003 with your accounts.

To get your data over from your old machine, don't export anything but simply copy over your original pst-file to a folder which is convenient to you.
For instance; (My) Documents\Outlook

Then reconnect the pst-file via;
File-> Open-> Outlook Data File...

For step-by-step details see;
http://www.howto-outlook.com/howto/backupandrestore.htm

D

deanan

I just recently copied Office 2007 .pst from old machine, over to our new laptop with Office 2010. The .pst has all our calendar and contacts in it, in addition to all email in the inbox. We use msn/hotmail. So when I setup Office 2010 for first time, and said that I used msn email, it downloaded all inbox emails from the server into a new .pst folder.

I'd like to just use our old .pst , and have all new emails downloaded to the old pst (because it also has our calendar and contacts in it). And we use Apple's MobileMe software to sync email with an iPhone, so need to point it to the correct pst as well.

Can I change the default pst folder to my old pst without having Outlook (and i'm using the hotmail outlook connector software) download from the server all my 9,000 emails in inbox once again? I don't want to end up with 18,000 emails in my inbox.

thanks,

Dean

D

deanan

I just found this on outlook tips site: I didn't do this before I opened Outlook 2010 for first time, so it went ahead and created a new pst and download all 9,000 of our mails from the server into a new PSt. Question is...can I do these steps now, and then just click on the pst that Office 2010 created, and remove it after the fact?

---------------------------------
If you have an Outlook data file (*.PST) you want to use with your new profile, follow these steps immediately. Do not open Outlook until you change the PST.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/outlookacct/thread/i/img8B.jpgSelect the newly created profile then click Properties. Click Data files button to open the Account Settings dialog to the Data files tab. (Either button opens the Account Settings dialog.)Click Add then browse to your existing PST file. If the PST is a native Outlook 2003/2007 file type, choose the top entry for Outlook Personal File. (It is highly recommended that you use Outlook 2003/2007 PST format for your default PST). Click OkSelect your existing PST file. You can enter a friendly name or just click Ok to return to the Account Settings dialog.Click the Set as Default button.

Select the PST Outlook created when it created the profile and click Remove. If you want, click Open folder to find and delete this PST.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Yes, but you should do it from Control panel, Mail, not from Outlook's File, Account dialog.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Source of Outlook 2016 Address field dropdown "Other Suggestions" Using Outlook 3
Jaegel Email Hyperlinks from one source won't open Using Outlook 4
oj43085 Prevent Outlook from blocking image from a single source Using Outlook 4
P Using BCM2010 Business Projects as SharePoint 2007 Data Source BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
L Source Name for Appointment Note/Message field Calendar Printing Assistant 0
D why only source code???? Using Outlook 0
S Accessing source information Using Outlook 1
A Exchange 2010sp1. Several times a day, a warning event ID 906 source ESE Exchange Server Administration 6
J Word 2003 mailmerge using Windows Mail contacts as a data source Using Outlook 1
S New-MailboxExportRequest Couldn't connect to the source mailbox. Exchange Server Administration 13
H outlook 2010: random font changes, missing email content, source html displayed in-line with text Using Outlook 3
S Change contacts maps source on Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 5
C XLS Import Issue With Source of Lead field BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
S -> [O2007]: get the message HTML original source code? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
S Failed to cleanup the source mailbox after the move. Exchange Server Administration 25
C VBA to prompt for Sent folder destination Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
G [Help] Converting array to destination folder path Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
L When I send multiple BCC e-mails I usually get an error of the sort: 5.1.2 - Bad destination host "D Using Outlook 2
A Changed the backup destination and now am being asked for a password to back-ups Using Outlook 2
G Deleting bounced back bad destination email addresses from Outlook's Contact Using Outlook 1
M Outlook yahoo POP3 outgoing messages are not reaching destination. Sometime the messages reach the Using Outlook 10
R Exchange Management Shell: Verify that the service on the destination is running and is accepting requests. Exchange Server Administration 1
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 1
D Custom Search Folders not refreshing/updating automatically Using Outlook 0
T Outlook 2016 remove envelope icon for certain folders Using Outlook 5
GregS Outlook 2016 Sent Mail absent from Sent Mail or Sent Items Folders Using Outlook 4
C Synchronizing subscribed folders causes hanging during send/receive process Using Outlook 2
R List folders in a combo box + select folder + move emails from inbox to that folder + reply to that email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N Sent emails not reflected in all IMAP Folders Using Outlook 4
A Custom VBA to sort emails into folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
jChambler iCloud folders in Outlook are not the same as on iCloud Using Outlook 6
R The way expand/collapse folders is actually meant to work? Using Outlook 2
David Langer Outlook 2016 (365) How to restore the ability to Re-Map iCloud IMAP Folders Using Outlook 5
L Merge two contacts folders Using Outlook 1
Commodore Folders always closed in move/copy items dialog box Using Outlook 3
P IMAP Folders Dialog Box Using Outlook 1
D Sort Problem with Sent Folders Using Outlook 1
E Project Management - Adding Folders for Different Folder Types Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
Rupert Dragwater How to sync all folders Using Outlook 1
O How to apply view settings on all accounts and folders Using Outlook 7
GregS Many Sent Item folders Using Outlook 3
A Prevent connection to Public Folders on Exchange? Exchange Server Administration 3
S Unable to Edit Contact Information in Certain Contact Folders Using Outlook 3
I Automating message move between folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Reorder folders in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D [TOOL] QuickModules to sort emails very quickly to multiple folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Copy Outlook Public Folders to a File Server Shared Folder Using Outlook 0
T Some of my folders in outlook.com appear to have vanished, thanks to v1803 Using Outlook 11
N Tracking Mail items being moved to folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
oliv- FASTEST METHOD TO ENUMERATE FOLDERS Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3