Outlook 2010 crashes when opening certain emails

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

TPhalen

I see this appears to be a common issue. Here's the details:

Windows 7 : Outlook 2010 : Norton Antivirus.

Event Log:

Problem signature:

Problem Event Name: APPCRASH

Application Name: OUTLOOK.EXE

Application Version: 14.0.4760.1000

Application Timestamp: 4ba8fefd

Fault Module Name: USP10.DLL

Fault Module Version: 1.626.7600.20602

Fault Module Timestamp: 4b304c27

Exception Code: c0000005

Exception Offset: 00027466

OS Version: 6.1.7600.2.0.0.768.3

Locale ID: 1033

Additional information about the problem:

Outlook will not open the email in safe mode and I have tried disabling all the add-ins. I have been able to open emails like this on my other machine that has Outlook Express and on my Blackberry...they are safe and I know who they are coming from (outside friends). They include jpgs and text only.

Any help?

LCID: 1033

skulcid: 1033

B

Brightner

It appears that there is an incompatibility between the Adobe Type 1 Helvetica font and Office 2010. I do not know yet whether this is a problem with Office or a problem with the Adobe font, but uninstalling the font makes the problem go away and reinstalling it makes the problem come back.

P

pageffect

So what if you uninstall any and every font having to do with Helvetica and you still get the same error message when Outlook 2010 crashes? - USP10.dll

Any reply is appreciated. I've already lost all my hair on this one.

P

pageffect

Nevermind. I figured it out. It wasn't enough to uninstall the Helvetica Type 1 font only. I had to uninstall ALL Type 1 fonts that were not in use. I highlighted all my Type 1 fonts, proceeded to deleting, skipping the ones that Windows told me were in use. After, I restarted my computer and Outlook 2010 opened no problem and didnt give me the USP10.dll error again! Thanks, all!!

J

JeffG49

It appears that there is an incompatibility between the Adobe Type 1 Helvetica font and Office 2010. I do not know yet whether this is a problem with Office or a problem with the Adobe font, but uninstalling the font makes the problem go away and reinstalling it makes the problem come back.

NAILED IT!!!!! I turned off Helvetica Type 1 in Suitcase and it worked like a charm Thanks!

B

Brightner

NAILED IT!!!!! I turned off Helvetica Type 1 in Suitcase and it worked like a charm Thanks!

I quiet didnt get your answer. Can you please brief it.

thanks in advance

R

Rob_Pro

I had the same problem.

I tried deleting helvetica fonts, restarting computer. It seemed to work, next time I restarted it was back to the same problem again. I reinstalled my helvetica fonts, still had the problem.

Work around:

Open outlook

create a new email

type some stuff with helvetica

Can now open all emails without crashing.

I came up with this because if Helvetica crashes outlook 2010 I wanted to see it happen, it didn't happen when I selected the font or typed with it, then it would also open the problematic emails.

I

itsthemoney

Another work around - this fixed it for me, the create email with helvetica fixed it for most, but not all. This fixed it for all, but at the expense of having formatting in my emails. Pretty lame, but not as lame as crashing outlook 50 times in 25 days. .....

Read e-mail messages in plain text

If you have security concerns about reading HTML-formatted messages, you can have Outlook display messages that you open in plain text. However, reading messages in plain text does not provide full protection against all e-mail message hazards.

Click the File tab. Click Options . Click Trust Center , and then click Trust Center Settings .Click E-mail Security . Under Read as Plain Text , select the Read all standard mail in plain text check box.

J

JBL3

We are a development/design firm with the same problem.

Tried Rob_Pro's solution without success. When you try to use a Helvetica font in an email, Outlook crashes.

We all use Helvetical in design job and so need Helvetica.

Tried:

Uninstalling and reinstalling Outlook

Uninstalling Helvetical and reinstalling it

Creating a new email using Helvetica

Using Outlook in Safe mode.

Reading all standard email as plain text is not an option.

Any usable workaround? We're considering eliminating MS Outlook for our organization. Jus too many issues.

N

Normajm

Our graphics arts person has this same issue - Outlook crashes when someone sends him an email in Helvitica. He uses Adobe CS5 and the font for all our items is Helvitica! We need a fix for this!

S

SallyWizard

I don't have the helvetica font installed so cannot uninstall it. should i remove all fonts that begin with adobe?

everytime i attempt to open an new email in outlook 2010, outlook 2010 crashes. new computer, new win7, new outlook.

thanks,

sally

A

atomicd

Tried this didn't work.

A

atomicd

I had the same problem.

I tried deleting helvetica fonts, restarting computer. It seemed to work, next time I restarted it was back to the same problem again. I reinstalled my helvetica fonts, still had the problem.

Work around:

Open outlook

create a new email

type some stuff with helvetica

Can now open all emails without crashing.

I came up with this because if Helvetica crashes outlook 2010 I wanted to see it happen, it didn't happen when I selected the font or typed with it, then it would also open the problematic emails.

tried this and it work!

M

Michael Breslow

I have been fighting this same issue for months, now, and nothing works. I thought I had it " fixed" by using the " send an email" solution and, for a few minutes, it did work. Now, I am back to the same old stuff of crashing. Why doesn't MS just fix this problem instead of their users having to find work-a-rounds? I have Win7 Ultimate w/ Outlook 2010 and am going to install Outlook 2003 (which worked like a charm, by the way) and leave this nonsense alone. I have work to do and don't have time or the patience to fiddle around with this.

The interesting thing about this problem is that when Outlook crashes, it resets all of the viewing preferences. The other thing I have tried that was suggested, was going into the add-ins and deactivating the ones I didn't think were being used. They are still deactivated and I am still having the problem.

I read in one thread re: this problem, where the author said to use the compatibility tool, which MS expressly says does nothing with Outlook.

I can't afford to delete the font (Helvetica) because I use it in some of the graphics I work with, so that is not an option.

UPDATE: In order for me to get Outlook to work properly, each time I open Outlook I have to send myself an email using Helvetica. As long as I do that, all is good. BUT, if I close Outlook and, after reopening it, I try to read an email that has Helvetica, it crashes. Go figure.

B

BLH Graphic

I too had the problem with Helvetica. Microsoft must hate Adobe!! I have been using Type1 fonts since 1985, default for everything has been Helvetica. Supppot at MicroSoft advised that they don't support third party products. Seems funny that if you are in the Graphic Arts business, Microsoft doesn't give a darn about you. Helvetica is a default installed font and since it has been around since '85 how can MicroSoft take that type of an attitude. Personally Office 2007 was bad but Office 2010 and Outlook is the pits.

If your an Advanced User of Word or Publisher try using the new function of STYLES, you will want to cut your wrist.

C

cbskean

I tried this... it still crashed. I eventually uninstalled all Helvetica font, and that fixed the problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.