Binding a Static IP to the Default Website Breaks EMC

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

digital.hybrid

Hi guys,

We have a working multi-tenant environment using Exchange 2010 and it's working very, very well ... except for two minor things.

Binding the Default Website to a single IP breaks EMC. Setting it back to "All Unassigned" and voila! EMC instantly works again. I can live with this to a degree because OWA, ECP etc all work fine.

And yet, without being bound to a single IP, Autodiscover then has problems.

Is there a way to overcome this issue and safely assign a single IP to the Default Website without breaking EMC?

Thanks,

Kerry

M

Mike Crowley

I'm curious about your comment regarding multitenancy. What are you doing to seperate the address lists? We've seen this issue in the forums and there is no published guidance.
http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchange2010/thread/952405be-67d2-48b1-ab0e-b9b49b055f47

Anyway, your problem - I was about to write back and suggest it was a DNS issue, where the IP chosen wasn't in the DNS database. This was until I tried it. I tried using the actual IP of the box (in my environment there is only 1 IP) and then I also tried using 127.0.0.1. (for port 80 AND 443 bindings)

The Error returned when trying to expand the Microsoft Exchange On-Premises node within EMC:

The following error occurred when searching for On-Premises Exchange server:

[exchange.demolab.local] Connecting to remote server failed with the following message: the WinRM client sent a request to an HTTP server and got a response saying the requested HTTP URL was not available. This is usually returned by a HTTP server that does not support the WS-Management protocol. For more information, see the about_Remote_Troubleshooting Help topic. It was running the command "Discover-ExchangeServer -UseWIA $true - SuppressError $true'

I'll post back if I find anything.
Mike Crowley: MCT, MCSE, MCTS, MCITP: Enterprise Administrator / Messaging Administrator

D

digital.hybrid

I'm curious about your comment regarding multitenancy. What are you doing to seperate the address lists?

Hi again Mike,

While multi-tenancy is not officially supported by Microsoft as yet, for us it actually does support multi-tenant.

We have a multi-tenant environment that's live right now with active clients on board and working pretty-much flawlessly using DotNetPanel's HES Enterprise Module. In fact, DNP has enabled us to become to the first Australian provider to offer Hosted Exchange 2010.

To qualify my "pretty-much" comment, the only issues we're having is with the EMC being affected by the IIS Default Website bindings, and as a result, some ripple effect stuff with Autodiscover. Beyond that, it's sensational.

The web GUI is feature-rich, very stable, very fast and gives an Exchange Administrator almost as much control as if they were running their own server.

From my point of view, the best thing about it was that there was no need to do a Microsoft "White Paper" segregation. DNP have found a way to make it work without all that headache and only a handful of permission changes.

MAIN WEBSITE www.ezyexchange.com.au

DNP WEB GUI https://manage.ezyexchange.com.au

The web GUI provides an Exchange Administrator with almost as much control over mailboxes, accepted domains, email addresses, mail flow, permissions etc etc, as he would normally have if he still ran his own Exchange environment.

We couldn't be happier.

Kerry

M

Mike Crowley

Kerry, is this an app I can download and use with my customers? The links are for the hosting provider page and the 2nd requires a logon.

D

digital.hybrid

Hi Mike,

Really sorry for my delay in getting back to you. For some reason I'm not getting the reply emails.

Anyway, what I've used for our service is DotNetPanel. It's not cheap, but it is the cheapest of all the control panels, and honestly, of all that I looked at, it was by far the most user-friendly and feature-rich.

Thus far it's proven to be a big hit with our clients, all of them have found it very easy to set up, and best of all, even through IIS, it's quick! I'd recommend it to anyone.

And they now have Enterprise modules not only hosted Exchange 2010, but for Sharepoint, CRM, OCS, and Blackberry ES.

Kerry

M

michaelklewis

How did you configure your DNS for autodiscover service in this environment? I have my multitenant 2010 SP1 running except for autodiscover. I can't figure that out because it obviously has multiple domains. I am not sure what type of DNS records to create in which domains???

Thanks

M

Mike Crowley [MVP]

How did you configure your DNS for autodiscover service in this environment? I have my multitenant 2010 SP1 running except for autodiscover. I can't figure that out because it obviously has multiple domains. I am not sure what type of DNS records to create in which domains???

Thanks

You use redirection:

Configure Autodiscover Redirection for the Multi-Tenant Organization

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff923256.aspx

Multi-Tenant Support

http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ff923272.aspx

Mike Crowley
Check out My Blog!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L dynamic and static dates in Outlook contact "notes" ie. body Using Outlook 2
R Static Resources in Custom Outlook Appointment Form Using Outlook 2
I Exchange 2010 sp1 Address Book service won't start after static RPC port reconfiguration Exchange Server Administration 2
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
R How to get the Items object of the default mailbox of a specific account in a multiple account Outlook? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
R Auto display of new email does not work on non-default account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
F Default font for notes in contacts Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
O How come default profile changed? Using Outlook 2
N How to set automatically the default or user defined Quickstyle Templates by Answer in Outlook Using Outlook 1
W Message class changes of a custom form changes to the default form Using Outlook 2
T Outlook changes default account Using Outlook 1
P how to remove unwanted PST file default categories assigned to many calendar entries Using Outlook 7
P Reading Pane (Reading Pain?) Default Setting Using Outlook 1
A Add to Outlook Contacts from email - default view Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P Making iCloud the default calendar for Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
M Outlook 2016: Changing default font for Notes and Reading Pane Using Outlook 4
V Change default default save location to Quick Access Using Outlook 1
V Changing default date for task follow-up buttons Using Outlook 2
C Change default "Save Sent Item To" folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
V VBA when replying + Default Account Using Outlook 2
P Outlook.com account overrules default account Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
P Outlook 2016 Not Default Client Using Outlook 5
D Add all meeting rooms to the meeting request by default Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Mark White VBScript Move sent mail to non-default folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Mark White VBScript Move sent mail to non-default folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N How to delete default folder "Contacts" (olFolderContacts) in a .pst file Using Outlook 8
D Default Send Account that Works? Using Outlook 0
T Changing default Mail Account in Outlook 2016 - POP3 Using Outlook 1
J Setting default address book Using Outlook 0
V importing appointments to non-default calendar? Using Outlook 1
H Change Default Email Account Using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
C Change default colors for conditional formatting Using Outlook 2
S Default Font in body of Task Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Set Another Data File as Default When Using an Exchange Account New Slipstick.com Articles 0
G Can't open .pst. Message could not access default folder (Outlook 2010 (.pst). Before that was backi Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Shared Mailboxes and the Default 'Send From' Account New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Working with VBA and non-default Outlook Folders New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky To Change the Default E-mail Program in Windows New Slipstick.com Articles 0
C Delete Subject-Add Organizer to all Reservations in Default Calendar. Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Setting the default Country for Outlook Contacts New Slipstick.com Articles 0
B Outlook 2016: Can't delete default calendar but I don't use it Using Outlook 7
B Calendar shows too much info by default Using Outlook 0
M Default Calendar Using Outlook 0
L Change default from english to danish ...... Using Outlook 5
R Making Outlook default client in share charm Using Outlook 4
B changing Win7 default backup schedule for Previous Versions Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Changing the default *.pst and *.ost sizes New Slipstick.com Articles 0
E Outlook 2016 Default Blue Color Using Outlook 3