Outlook clients get "Contacting the server for information"

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

JScott2

Hi,

I've recently setup a new production Exchange 2010 Enterprise Edition server running on Windows 2008 R2 Enterprise. Everything is working fine except for user's are getting a pop up in Outlook 2010 that says " contacting the server for information" when fowarding messages with imbedded html. Outlook 2007 user's don't get the pop-up, but it still takes a long time for the message to send. After they click the send button, it just sits on thier screen for about 20 seconds. All other email messages are fine. The messages are small, even a 26kb message will do this. Has anyone seen this before, or have any ideas about what needs to be changed for the messages to be sent out at an acceptable time. All users are configured for cached mode in Outlook and this happens for user's on the same LAN as the server and for user's on a different LAN. At this point, we only have 10 or so user's on the server, but are getting ready to migrate several hundred over.

Thanks,

JScott2

E

Elvis Wei

Hi JScott2,

If you test the issue in OWA, will it still take a long time to send? If you use online mode in Outlook, can you reproduce the issue?

The information you mentioned is " Outlook is retrieving data from the Microsoft Exchange server" right? If so, please refer to the suggestions in the following thread:

http://social.technet.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/exchangesvrclients/thread/b2afa738-0fba-4060-892f-6a3917744811

I also suggest you install latest patch of Exchange 2010 and test the issue, Update Rollup 2 for Exchange Server 2010 (KB979611):

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6d3ae3e0-3982-46d6-9e9c-7d7d63fae565&displaylang=en

Hope this helps. Thanks,

Elvis

E

Elvis Wei

Hi JScott2,

Is there any update on the issue? If so, please let me know.

Thanks,

Elvis

R

Robert A - Seattle

" Contacting the server for information"

I am getting these as well, but when I run a VBA Macro in Outlook 2010. Not sure what is going on. Sometimes they take 5 seconds, sometimes up a minute. I'm a small business with a very fast network and a relatively pretty powerful Exchange 2010 Server so the delay is a hassle. Exchange 2010 with all the updates.

H

hdemarzo

I am having the same problem, but it is only happening with outlook and only with emails from one site. if I use thunderbird the issue does not arise. What de eff? What is this about?? also im still using the office home and business beta. Please help.

J

Josh R

I have a similar problem. In my case I used fiddler to monitor web traffic and found that as it tried to read the email, " contacting the server" meant it was trying to read images/html data from the web for content in the email. There were a lot of http protocol errors in the queries and I think Outlook was just timing out. I tried adding the offending domain into my hosts file to point locally but that didn't help.

The offending domain was img.icbdr.com and was related to some careerbuilder emails trying to pull up gifs and image directories. It happened to be on a daily alert from our sharepoint server. I have Outlook 2010 set to NOT download anything automatically in the trust center settings, but it still tries to download those images, fails, and crashs/slows outlook 2010.

No fix so far.

W

WhosUsingMyName

My signature has social media icons that link to twitter and facebook. When I remove this part of my signature I dont have the probably. I am definitely not a tech geek, so this may or may not work for you...just my 2 cents.

A

Afromm

I just upgraded from Office 2007 to Office 2010 and I'm having this problem when trying to print emails from Outlook. Appears to be trying to reload the HTML page - the more HTML/Graphics on the email, the longer the " Contacting the server for information" takes (and the more times it flashes). VERY disappointing and frustrating -- was looking forward to 2010 but now I'm thinking about going back - this is extremely annoying and is killing my productivity because Outlook is totally locked up when it is doing this and often you can't even go to another application because the focus keeps going back to the window that keeps popping up. Please let me know if you need more info, but I'm running out of the box Outlook 2010 from Microsoft Professional edition.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
L Outlook clients did not reconnect to Exchange when one CAS server in CAS array became unresponsive Exchange Server Administration 1
blashmet Outlook Signature Distorted in Other Email Clients Using Outlook 9
R Thousand of sync issues on Outlook clients with Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
S New Outlook 2003 Clients with Existing Exchange 2010 error's Exchange Server Administration 6
X Exchange 2007 Outlook Anywhere Clients unable to retrieve GAL Using Outlook 9
N Outlook 2007 Clients Pointed to Wrong Domain Name for Autodiscover Using Outlook 2
J Post SP3 upgrade - outlook 2003/2010 clients cannot connect Using Outlook 1
A cannot connect outlook 2007 clients to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
C Outlook 2010 with BCM - Database Connection problems using Windows 7 Clients Using Outlook 1
N Outlook 2010 Clients can't reply to emails or download offline address book? Hosted Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 5
D Upgraded to Exchange 2010 SP1 and now random Outlook clients are requesting authentication Exchange Server Administration 1
B CAS Array and Outlook 2003 clients Exchange Server Administration 5
S Exchange 2010 Autodiscover Problems, cannot connect Outlook clients using Autodiscover / Outlook Any Exchange Server Administration 4
B Mac clients using Entourage and Outlook experiencing delayed email Exchange Server Administration 20
R how to configure outlook 2007 clients to publish free busy info to public folder in exchange 2010 (s Exchange Server Administration 3
G How to enable Outlook Anywhere for domain joined clients, enable Exchange ActiveSync, but disable OA Exchange Server Administration 1
C outlook clients prompt for a password each time it open Exchange Server Administration 2
M Will Outlook 2002 clients break when upgrading domain to 2008R2? Using Outlook 5
M exchange 2007 and xp clients using outlook in nt4 domain Using Outlook 1
A What are the known sharing issues with Outlook 2003 clients and Outlook 2010 clients on the same network? Exchange Server Administration 3
A What are the known sharing issues with Outlook 2003 clients and Outlook 2010 clients on the same network? Using Outlook 1
M Does a shared Outlook BCM 2007 database work with both Outlook BCM 2007 and 2010 clients? Using Outlook 2
B Some Outlook clients not opening (2003/2007/2010) but no apparent issue with mailboxes Using Outlook 4
J Autodiscover not issuing CAS array to Outlook Clients Exchange Server Administration 2
C Exchange 2010 with Outlook 2007 clients randomly disconnecting Exchange Server Administration 5
C Reboot a CAS array member causes Outlook 2010 clients to prompt for credentials. Using Outlook 5
D Exchange 2010 and outlook clients mails delays/delete and other problems Exchange Server Administration 9
C Prevent clients outlook anywhere URL from being changed by autodiscover? Using Outlook 4
K Exchange 2010 Archive support Outlook clients? Exchange Server Administration 9
J Outlook 2007 Clients Prompt For Password When Opening Using Outlook 21
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 1
pcunite Outlook 2019/O365 Build 13127.20408 errors when using MAPI calls Using Outlook 0
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 Outlook in Windows 10 keeps asking for user name and password repeatedly Using Outlook 0
S Outlook mail adressing stops after first match in GAL Using Outlook 0
A Apply Selected Emails to outlook rules and Run Rules Using Outlook 5
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
J How do I disable advertising in Outlook 2019? Using Outlook 5
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Unable to Sync Web/Android MS To Do with Windows Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 3
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to send auto acknowledge mail only to new mails received to a specific shared inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to move reply mail based on the key word in the subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook Calendar not coming down from cloud Using Outlook 2
Terry Sullivan Sender's Name Doesn't Appear in the From Field on Outlook 365/IMAP Using Outlook 2
GregS Outlook 2016 Can I disable the Outlook Outbox? Using Outlook 2
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook Contacts Notes Field Photos to Smartphone Using Outlook 0
Paula S. Outlook 2013 won't recognize new password Using Outlook 4
J Want to learn VBA Macros for Outlook. What book can you recommend? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2