Mail Flow to a single databse stops in Exchange 2010 without dismounting the database when log drive is full

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

Saif Ali Khan

Mail Flow to a single databse stops in Exchange 2010 without dismounting the database when log drive is full ... and you get Event ID 10014 Source Event 10014 MSExchangeIS Mailbox Store. Wondering what new mechanism has been added that is causing this behaviour ?

S

Saif Ali Khan

Backpressure event Ids are 15000 series - 15002, 15007 etc and it should stop all mailflow. Why just the mailflow for 1 database and the issue is resolved by creating space on the log drive for the affected databse - this drive does not host the HT queue database althought the server is hosting all the roles.

S

Saif Ali Khan

yes .. the database dismounts ... and it did not .. just stopped sending and receiving email. thats what this question is about .. something has changed in 2010

J

jader3rd

Nothing changed in this respect from Exchange 2003, to Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010. When the log drive fills up the database dismountes.

Don't let your log drive fill up.

S

Saif Ali Khan

Exactly ... thats what i discovered ... I am running Exchange 2010 Rollup 2 .. for one of the Databases .. my log drive had less than 1 percent of free space remaining AND THE DATABASE did not dismount -

Exchange logs Event ID 10014 and stops the emails addresses to and from that database. So something has changed and thats what i am searching for .. NO Longer is the DATABASE dismounted. So there is something new here. And once i freed up space the email flow again started. So the mechanism is different.

Also i will appreciate if the next person that posts something here reads what i am trying to say.

J

jader3rd

The database dismounting is related to the amount of space on the drive, not the percentage that's free on the drive. Does this database have multiple copies? It's possible that the drive filled up on one of the servers and then failed over to another server that had just a little bit more room.

X

Xiu Zhang

In exchange 2010, instead of allowing a disk to run out of space, thus leading to a forced dismount of the database, the Store automatically monitors available free space for both the database and log drives. When the Store detects that the space available on a log or database drive is below 1GB, it cuts off all transport delivery to that database(s). This is to prevent a disk from running out of space. When the disk space goes above 1.5GB, the Store allows deliveries to continue.

When a disk runs out of space the database can't be mounted or debugged. The database space also can't be reclaimed. This is a self-protecting mechanism that should only trigger if there is no reaction to the space issue

errors generated by the Store.

A new maintenance task called “Check critical system health" has been added to the Store. The task runs periodically to check the free disk space as reported by the operating system for both the logs and database drives. When low disk space is detected, the Store responds to the Store Driver with one of two errors that indicate the problem: ecLowMdbSpace and ecLowMdbLogSpace. The Store Driver is designed to periodically retry delivery to the database when these exceptions are encountered. When the low disk space issue has been resolved, the Store Driver automatically resumes delivery to the database.

Regards,

Xiu

S

Saif Ali Khan

Yeah .. this does sound like what was happening .. and the best part is that there are no Technet / KB articles available yet for this. I even called MS for this case and the person there was getting this confused with Backpressure as well and the case is still .. have not heard from them and have not had the time to follow up with MS on this either.

P.S. So Nitesh if you happen to read this .. please find something out on this.

J

JuanSoria

This condition and explaination was exactly the issue we faced. Very helpful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Exchange 2010 Mail flow Local Delivery Exchange Server Administration 3
X Internal mail flow between two hub transport servers same domain Exchange Server Administration 10
J Exchange 2003, 2010 Co-existence. Mail flow problems. Exchange Server Administration 3
K Mail flow problem between two exchange servers. Exchange Server Administration 3
S Outlook mail adressing stops after first match in GAL Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2013 All imported Mail Rules in error when imported into new profile Using Outlook 5
S Outlook Macro to send auto acknowledge mail only to new mails received to a specific shared inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to move reply mail based on the key word in the subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
MrMayor SENT mail not reloading to top?? Using Outlook 4
Terry Sullivan Sender Field Displays My E-Mail Address, Not My Name Using Outlook 1
ThinkToday Calculate reply time of outlook mail Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2010 Opening Mail Attachment Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Is it possible it set the fonts used to read incoming mail Using Outlook 10
D Mail in Sent Items Gone Using Outlook 12
M Managing Gmail "All Mail" sync issues with IMAP Using Outlook 1
GregS Outlook 2016 Sent Mail absent from Sent Mail or Sent Items Folders Using Outlook 4
GregS Why is Outlook 2016 mail in Outlook.com? Using Outlook 1
S Outlook not receiving mail Using Outlook 1
Commodore Outlook (2013) issues with icloud.com mail Using Outlook 0
GregS Outlook 2016 iPhone won't download Outlook 2016 Mail. Using Outlook 0
A Arthur needs help with 2007 Outlook e-mail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
oliv- How to distinguish whether mail is incoming or outgoing? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
W Receiving mail for account that has been deleted Using Outlook 2
H In outlook 365 POP mail Inbox, email takes a long time or never arrives. Using Outlook 1
Z Add text to auto-forwarded e-mail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
K HOW TO FIX AOL MAIL ISSUES? Using Outlook 0
O How to prevent CC from showing when creating a new mail? Using Outlook 1
I Junk Mail and PersonMetadata Using Outlook 2
T 3 months of archived e-mail is missing Using Outlook 1
B Outlook - Mail from safe senders list being sent to Spam Folder Using Outlook 0
G Detect Google Drive and OneDrive links in incoming mail Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M Sent mail not showing in Sent Items folder; but they can be found with Search Using Outlook 3
H Outlook 2016 sent over 30 copies of an e-mail with attachments Using Outlook 1
T Missing text in e-mail message after "(Please keep confidential)" Using Outlook 3
Victor_50 Outlook 2013 Custom Contact Form starts with "E-mail 2" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
E Mail sorting view issue Using Outlook 1
D after delete mail, open the next one Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
RBLampert Assigning a newly (re)created e-mail account to a specific .pst data file Using Outlook 2
B Clear Offline Items (Mail Folder) via VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Moving mail to another folder is much slower than before (Office365) Using Outlook 0
A Outlook macro to create search folder with mail categories as criteria Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
N VBA Script to Open highlighted e-mail and Edit Message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Auto-export mail to Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Sent mail not showing in my sent folder Using Outlook 9
B iCloud Option to sync contacts, mail, calendar and tasks Using Outlook 5
O Using .OST and .PST mail thru different providers Using Outlook 5
CWM030 Connected accounts mail moved to trash? Exchange Server Administration 16
N Tracking Mail items being moved to folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Mark Foley Color Categories on IMAP mail lost when installing new Windows 7 workstation Using Outlook 12
E Copying the whole e-mail body into excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0