Outlook folder rename (right click 'rename' option) issue

Status
Not open for further replies.
W

WLAN

I have access to another user's mailbox and can see outlook folders from his mailbox in my profile.

But when I try to rename outlook folder (other user), it changes the name and reverts back to original name after sometime. I cleaned OST file and created a new one. But still the issue exists when I rename a folder.

Is there any permission issue or any settings issue so that new folder name persists?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Which folder are you trying to rename? If you try to rename one of the default folders Outlook/Exchange isn't going to like it.

Renaming a custom folder, assuming you have permissions to do so, should be o.k.

W

WLAN

I'm trying to rename custom folders only. I have owner permission for those folders. What permissions are required for renaming it?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Is the other user logged in at the time you're doing this renaming? Do they also have owner permissions to the folder?

Is the other user able to successfully rename these folders?

W

WLAN

Yes. I didn't see the other user name in permissions tab. My user id is there with 'owner' privileges.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

If the other user logs out are you able to make the change and have it stick?

W

WLAN

whatever folder names I have renamed while the other user is logged out sticks.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

That's what I suspected. I think the other user's in cached mode and since it's their mailbox the next time Outlook syncs the cache with Exchange (which is frequently) your changes are getting overwritten with their cache.

Do you have to rename folders in their mailbox often?

W

WLAN

I can see changed folder names in my profile. But when the other user logon and check the folder name, its still old one. When outlook will update it?

S

samascal

Hi Guys,

We are having the same issue here and we would like some help also.

" The owner's mailbox is on a Exchange 2003 server amn the person that is trying to change the folder name is on a Exchange 2010 SP1 server" .

Do you think the issue would be resolved when we migrate the owners mailbox over to Exchange 2010?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
W Save Outlook attachment in network folder and rename to current date and time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 18
O How to rename folder name within favorities under Outlook? Using Outlook 3
B Spam folder not showing in Outlook Using Outlook 5
J Moved many emails to Outlook external folder, need to delete on Gmail server Using Outlook 13
E How to display "Change Folder" in Change Default Email Delivery Location in Exchange Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2016 Deleting emails without affecting folder structure - Outlook Office 365 Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 365 - Folder pane list clears Using Outlook 24
T Missing Folder in Outlook.com Using Outlook 3
R Setup autofoward rule on a particular folder in Outlook Using Outlook 0
N Outlook 2016 Folder Icons Look Using Outlook 0
B Outlook - Mail from safe senders list being sent to Spam Folder Using Outlook 0
9 Outlook 2016 How to save an Outlook attachment to a specific folder then delete the email it came from? Using Outlook 1
R "Can't store Outlook data files under the AppData folder. Please choose another folder." Using Outlook 6
G Can't create Folder Groups in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
geofferyh Outlook 2010 How to Copy Outlook Attachment to a Specific Folder? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
R Can not create folder to store specific emails in in Outlook for Mac Using Outlook 1
N Lots of Folder in Outlook Android Using Outlook 2
A Outlook macro to create search folder with mail categories as criteria Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P Outlook 2016 Client and 365 - Groups Folder Using Outlook 3
R Copy Outlook Public Folders to a File Server Shared Folder Using Outlook 0
R How to delete Facebook Contacts folder in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 7
E Accessing shared outlook folder doesn't work since switch to new outlook/excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 11
P when i move inbox mails to another folder in outlook the mail disappears Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2010 trusted emails going to spam folder Using Outlook 18
T Missing Outlook subordinate folder Using Outlook 0
A remove or turn off outlook.com contact folder from outlook 2016 Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2013 Folder View Using Outlook 8
V Spam folder not showing in Outlook Using Outlook 4
T Outlook creating a folder named: "Unwanted" Using Outlook 3
J Searching message folder in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 5
M code to move selected Outlook contacts to another folder Using Outlook 3
A VB to "reply all" email items stored in a folder of outlook with adding a new message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Probem with junk mail folder in new account in Outlook Using Outlook 0
Werewolf Workaround for the missing Activities tab in Contact Folder Properties in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 2
G Can't open .pst. Message could not access default folder (Outlook 2010 (.pst). Before that was backi Using Outlook 0
P Macro to attach a file in a shared Outlook draft folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Unwanted US Holiday Contact folder in Outlook.com syncs to MAPI/Phone Address book Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 9
C Changing the name of Outlook Messages saved to a folder Using Outlook 1
M How does Outlook determine item numbers in a folder? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Diane Poremsky Choose the Folder Outlook Starts Up In New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Use VBA to create an Outlook Search Folder for Sender New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Outlook's Folder Navigation Pane Disappears New Slipstick.com Articles 2
Kika Melo Change location of Outlook SecureTemporary Files Folder Using Outlook 5
F Outgoing mail from Outlook.com sticks in Drafts folder Using Outlook 0
T Can't send email through connected account (outlook.live.com) - goes to Drafts folder Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
S recover a deleted folder in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
Z Batch Change Folder Views in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2007 - Change Message Class for all Items in Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M To set the storage folder for an outgoing Outlook message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
L Office 365 Outlook changing default contact folder Using Outlook 0