Import contact updates from Excel

Status
Not open for further replies.
L

LarryView

I have a list of email addresses which have been rejected for various reasons. I would like to update all the address records so I can remove these from my email distribution lists but not delete the records.

What is the best way to import the updates to the address records? Thanks for any suggestions.

Karl Timmermans

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
POP3

Going to restate your question just to ensure that I correctly understand it

a) you have contact items (which you refer to as "address records") that have incorrect email addresses and are part of one or more distribution lists

b) you have an Excel file which has the correct email addresses for the contacts mentioned in item (a) and want to update the email addresses of those contacts with the info contained in the Excel file

c) you then want to update the distributions list(s) which any of these corrected contacts are a member of to reflect the correct email addresses in the DL

If the above is correctly stated, then:

1) If the First and Last Name's for each contact in the Excel file match those of the contact items that exist in the folder, you can import the Excel file to the folder and select "replace duplicates with items imported". Theorectically, this process is supposed to work but we constantly encounter Outlook errors when the "replace duplcates with items" is selected. Could just be our systems or the import process doesn't work with that setting - not sure. Keep in mind that you're going to have an issue if there are contacts with the same first/last name which are not considered duplicates.

(if you encounter the same kind of error doing the above via the Outlook import wizard and this involves a lot of contacts - ContactGenie Quickporthttp://www.contactgenie.com/quickport_4_outlook.htm may be of interest - it supports updating pre-existing contacts including those using custom forms/fields)

2) Once your contact items are updated in whatever approach you choose to use, then it's a simple matter of opening your distribution lists and clicking on the <Update Now> button. This of course only deals with those DL members that have underlying contact items.

"

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Rupert Dragwater How to import contact list Using Outlook 15
ogodt Change Default contact form and import from Excel 2010 Using Outlook 1
K Import 2013 Outlook Contact Address into Word Using Outlook 36
H Corrupt arabic languge text during contact import Using Outlook 1
F import individual contact info from excel to outlook contacts or vice versa Using Outlook 2
Z Import/Export button missing on Contact toolbar Using Outlook 2
D cannot import contact files to outlook 2003, cannot change import and export applications and tools, Using Outlook 3
D how can i import my contact mailing addresses into mailing lables? Using Outlook 1
S Outook 2002 SP3 - cant import a contact list Using Outlook 1
A Cannot import Xp based outlook .pst file into Outlook 2007 with Bus Contact Manager. Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2010 questions, Mass import into contact group, cull duplicate addressbook entries, alphabet Using Outlook 1
J trouble importing Office 2003 contact data (activities,etc.) using .pst file export & import to a se Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2010 Shutting Down When Trying to Import Contacts to Business Contact Manager Using Outlook 3
F Import Outlook and Business Contact Manager data to another user Using Outlook 3
J How can I import contact information from Palm Desktop into Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
K Disabling import/export button to restrict PST creation Using Outlook 3
I Outlook 365 - import/attach PST file that used POP3 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 0
M Export-Import .pst file problems Using Outlook 2
N .pst archive from work will not open/import on Microsoft 365 Exchange Server Administration 0
L How to Import Exchange OST file into Outlook? Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
Christopher M Import Exchange Server Administration 1
R PST->Outlook.com (Import vs Drag-n-Drop methods Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
DoctorJellybean Import accounts\files Using Outlook 1
S Import contacts to a shared mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P Import Categories from Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 8
avant-guvnor Import csv problem Using Outlook 7
T Outlook 2016 CSV Translator Import Error Using Outlook 6
C Import Outlook 2016 contacts into to: field Using Outlook 1
P Import an .ics file to a specific calendar Using Outlook 4
L Need to import multiple Outlook files to Office 365 Account Using Outlook 4
R ost file import Using Outlook 2
T Outlook Calendar 2016 import Excel Using Outlook 1
I Import Office theme .thmx Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Batch Import Photos into Outlook Contacts New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Can't import CSV or move Outlook items into EAS Accounts New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky How to Import Appointments into a Group Calendar New Slipstick.com Articles 0
B Import Excel Text into Outlook Calender Using Outlook 4
M How to Import YES/NO Checkboxes? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
J Converted .ost to .pst: Want to Import and Reconnect with IMAP Email Account Using Outlook 2
GregS Import from Outlook.com .ost to IMAP .pst? Using Outlook 3
Q Outlook 2016\365 export specific rules to import in another system Exchange Server Administration 1
Diane Poremsky Macro to Bulk Import Contacts and vCards into Outlook New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Import Images into the Active Directory New Slipstick.com Articles 0
M convert/import a customized record into the default "Account" record BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
Diane Poremsky Macro to Bulk Import vCards into Outlook New Slipstick.com Articles 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i question about saving my .pst so I can import it to my Outlook after I build a new system Using Outlook 10
V Import from Outlook 2013 ost file? Using Outlook 2
E Want to Import Outlook 2003 pst files to later version Using Outlook 6
A Does Outlook import Gmail Archive? Using Outlook 1