Outlook 2010 reading pane option - want to permanently adjust the zoom setting.

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jcoy

Greetings,I know that there are a number of ways to adjust the zoom on the reading pane in outlook 2010. But how do i make the change permanent so that it does not go back to 100%.

There are two ways to temporarily increase or decrease the zoom level in the Microsoft OutlookReading Pane (Reading Pane: A window in Outlook where you can preview an item without opening it. To display the item in the Reading Pane, click the item.).

Do one of the following:

Use the Zoom control at the bottom of the Outlook window.

http://social.answers.microsoft.com/Forums/en-US/&app=ZOL&ver=14

If you are using a mouse with a wheel control, click in the Reading Pane, press CTRL, and roll the scroll wheel. Rolling the wheel away from you makes the contents larger, rolling the wheel toward you makes the contents smaller.
Note The zoom affects only the current item that is previewed. When you select another item or folder, the Reading Pane returns to the default 100% size.

thank you.

H

Hassan El-Meligy, MSc

Hi

You can do this through VBA code

There are many that you can search for, the one I tested and borrowed from was at the following link

http://www.eggheadcafe.com/software/aspnet/33641766/persistent-zoom-setting-for-email.aspx

You may write you code from scratch if you like (into the obj ThisOutlookSession)

Any Zoom based code should have the following 2 lines that cotnrol the zooming

Set wdDoc = objOpenInspector.WordEditor

wdDoc.Windows(1).Panes(1).View.Zoom.Percentage = 160

Hope this helps

J

Jcoy

Hi & thank you.

however this is a little to technical for me to be honest. Not sure how i would do this at all.

H

Hassan El-Meligy, MSc

While you are in outlook do the following

Press Alt-F11 to invoke the VBA Editor On the left side locate ThisOutlookSession Double click on ThisOutlookSession On the right window of the screen copy and paste the following code Click on Save Quit VBA Editor Alt-Q

Option Explicit

Dim WithEvents objInspectors As Outlook.Inspectors

Dim WithEvents objOpenInspector As Outlook.Inspector

Dim WithEvents objMailItem As Outlook.MailItem

Private Sub Application_Startup()

Set objInspectors = Application.Inspectors

End Sub

Private Sub Application_Quite()

Set objOpenInspector = Nothing

Set objInspectors = Nothing

Set objMailItem = Nothing

End Sub

Private Sub objInspectors_NewInspector(ByVal Inspector As Inspector)

If Inspector.CurrentItem.Class = olMail Then

Set objMailItem = Inspector.CurrentItem

Set objOpenInspector = Inspector

End If

End Sub

Private Sub objOpenInspector_Close()

Set objMailItem = Nothing

End Sub

Private Sub objOpenInspector_Activate()

Dim wdDoc As Word.Document

Set wdDoc = objOpenInspector.WordEditor

wdDoc.Windows(1).Panes(1).View.Zoom.Percentage = 140

End Sub

C

CS59

hey, i tried this but after hitting alt-F11, all i see on the left is Project1, no mention of ThisOutlookSession,any suggestions, thanks.

J

Jcoy

Hi

thank you for the details and the clear instructions. I was able to do this as detailed. I then closed outlook and re-opened. However the reading pane reset itself to 100%. So this did not work for me.

H

Hassan El-Meligy, MSc

Hi

If the code is pasted when ThisOutLooksession is properly selected and the code is pasted on the rigth side of the windows.

A number of Sub(s) will be created without errors.

The code should work when you restart your outlook and sure that outlook is not runing still in Memory.

The only case that I could think of that would not work is that you Outlook Macro is Diabled for any kind of security or trust centers.

You need to enable outlook macros first and restart outlook

Please let me know if it works with you and I will follow until it does

H

Hassan El-Meligy, MSc

Hi

If the code is pasted when ThisOutLooksession is properly selected and the code is pasted on the rigth side of the windows.

A number of Sub(s) will be created without errors.

The code should work when you restart your outlook and sure that outlook is not runing still in Memory.

The only case that I could think of that would not work is that you Outlook Macro is Diabled for any kind of security or trust centers.

You need to enable outlook macros first and restart outlook

Please let me know if it works with you and I will follow until it does

C

CS59

Thanks for following up. I enable the macros and made sure the code is pasted as you say, but still no luck.

H

Hassan El-Meligy, MSc

Hi,

Will look at it today and let you know

Kind Regards

D

dcanales

It's " Private Sub Application_Quit()" instead of " Private Sub Application_Quite()"

You have to enable the Word Object Library in Tools -> References... in the VBA Editor.

Regards

Y

Yash867

hi dcanales,

i don't see that selecting word object library in Tools ---References in the VBA Editor. i can see many others but not this one . i even tried looking for Microsoft word object library just in case it may be written differently .

Regards,

Yash

O

Omega Man

(I copied my answer from another thred to this thread as it covers the same topic).

There are several additional steps to take in Office 2010 as well as a typo in the above code (" Application_Quite" instead of " Application_Quit" ). Here is the code I use (very similar to the above):

Option Explicit Dim WithEvents objInspectors As Outlook.Inspectors Dim WithEvents objOpenInspector As Outlook.Inspector Dim WithEvents objMailItem As Outlook.MailItem Private Sub Application_Startup() Set objInspectors = Application.Inspectors End Sub Private Sub Application_Quit() Set objOpenInspector = Nothing Set objInspectors = Nothing Set objMailItem = Nothing End Sub Private Sub objInspectors_NewInspector(ByVal Inspector As Inspector) If Inspector.CurrentItem.Class = olMail Then Set objMailItem = Inspector.CurrentItem Set objOpenInspector = Inspector End If End Sub Private Sub objOpenInspector_Close() Set objMailItem = Nothing End Sub Private Sub objOpenInspector_Activate() Dim wdDoc As Word.Document Set wdDoc = objOpenInspector.WordEditor wdDoc.Windows(1).Panes(1).View.Zoom.Percentage = 140 End Sub

Once you have the code in place, you need to enable the " Microsoft Word 14.0 Object Libary" references in Visual Basic for Applications. You can find that under the Tools menu by choosing the References item and putting a check mark on the library and choosing OK.

The next issue is that you need to enable unsigned macros for Outlook to actually USE this code. You can find that by going to the File menu in Outlook and choosing Options. In the Options window, choose the " Trust Center" item from the left hand pane and then click the " Trust Center Settings..." button. In the Trust Center window, select " Macro Settings" in the left hand pane and change the Macro Settings to " Notifications for all macros" (or " Enable all macros (not recommended; potentially dangerous code can run)" ). The only problem NOW is that you will need to tell Outlook to run the macro each time you start it up (unless you chose " Enable all..." ). You can fix THAT by digitally signing the macro (and setting the Macro Settings back to the default " Notifications for digtally signed macros, all other macros disabled" ). If you want to do THAT, you first need a certificate (which is a whole OTHER thread) and you need to install the certificate in Active Directory (another entire other thread) and actually sign the macro (another thread) and distribute it (another thread).

And this doesn't solve the problem in the reading pane...which I still haven't found any way to fix. It does make it so that double-clicking on a message to read it will use the zoom factor set in the code above (I use 140).

I'm REALLY hoping MS fixes this in the first SP for Office 2010.

Status
Not open for further replies.