Backup and restore folders/contacts like all previous vresions.

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mike 1940

I have installed Outlook 2010 under Win7 (64b). I am trying to figure out how to backup and transfer/merge pst files from one computer to another. I cannot for the life of me find the answer or at least an answer I can recognize/understand. Merging files/folders is very important as I use several computers of which I wish to merge to keep all current.

R

Russ Valentine

Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data backup or transfer:
Moving Outlook to a New Computer
http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Note that some of the information on the Microsoft page is outdated and contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010. Specifically:
1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook profile. Copy it anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook profile.
2. Ignore any advice that tells you to use export or import to transfer an entire Outlook data file. That has never been sound advice, but the process has become too deeply flawed to be of any use.

Also, when you use manual configuration for your mail accounts in Outlook 2010 (always preferable) it has a nice new option that lets you connect to a pre-existing data file when creating a new profile instead of having to jump through all the hoops of creating a new file, connecting to the pre-existing file, then disconnecting the new file.

As far a "merging" files is concerned, you simply open the PST file you want to merge with another in Outlook, and copy the data from it into the file you are currently using. Note that it is usually preferable to copy the _contents_ of a folder to another than copying the fodler itself, unless you think you want more folders.

Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
E Disappointed in Outlook 2007, backup, restore, synch Using Outlook 5
E Outlook 2007 backup and restore function Using Outlook 2
C Exchange 2010 Public Folder Database Backup Restore Exchange Server Administration 4
Z Permissions to Restore Items from Backup to Onlinemailbox? Exchange Server Administration 4
M Backup and restore E2K7 with Server2K8 Exchange Server Administration 4
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
L Restoring Outlook from backup of OST Using Outlook 5
T Need to backup outlook.com to cloud storage, without desktop software - Testing UpSafe. Are there any similar services? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 8
V Scheduled backup of imap account Using Outlook 7
R How Can I backup office 365 account? Exchange Server Administration 1
C OST email backup Exchange Server Administration 1
O Backup Office settings - registry key Using Outlook 5
I Backup email account information Using Outlook 2
J Backup .OST - Custom Contact Forms, Defined Fields, Notes Using Outlook 1
S BCM Auto Backup Data and Customizations BCM (Business Contact Manager) 6
L Online 3rd party backup of Office 365 cloud New Slipstick.com Articles 5
B changing Win7 default backup schedule for Previous Versions Using Outlook 0
Terradon which file/s to backup? Using Outlook 4
LeeDock Office 365 Personal Backup strategy Using Outlook 1
M Outlook Backup help needed ASAP Using Outlook 2
B Easy to handle backup tool Using Outlook 1
O Personal Folders Backup aftermath Using Outlook 5
D PST file backup Calendar Printing Assistant 1
S Is it possible to backup Outlook.com/Outlook 2013 Email & Calendar info? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
R Missing Backup command in File menu after installing pfback.exe Using Outlook 2
C Password for backup of Outlook Using Outlook 1
P Best way to locally backup/archive Gmail? Using Outlook 1
R Recover/export rules from a backup .PST Using Outlook 2
V Outlook Data File (PST) - Auto Backup Solution Using Outlook 3
B importing Outlook from a backup on an external hard drive Using Outlook 5
V Backup pst to NAS drive? Using Outlook 4
S Backup custom menus Using Outlook 3
T Using Outlook 2010 in Outlook2003 as backup ? Using Outlook 21
D Outlook 2010 .pst file backup Using Outlook 2
C can't backup OL 2007 (error message 0x80070021) + only done by administrator Using Outlook 1
R What to backup before removing Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 4
R How to backup contacts in Outlook 2010 as business cards Using Outlook 1
L Outlook backup tool Using Outlook 5
S Importing outlook express backup into outlook2010... how to do it? Is it possible? Using Outlook 2
K Backup recommendation for Exchange 2010 SP1 on Hyperv 2008 R2 Exchange Server Administration 3
M Exchange 2010 SP1 DAG & CA ARCserve Backup r15 Exchange Server Administration 1
P Exchange 2010 Backup using WSB not truncating log files Exchange Server Administration 5
A Access a DAG over a virtual lan ip for backup Exchange Server Administration 1
M Outlook will not open pst backup from Mozy Using Outlook 2
I Outlook 2007: When I run ScanPST it reports errors but there is no "Repair" button & "Make backup... Using Outlook 2
L Outlook backup plug-in is not working Using Outlook 1
R How to backup sub-folders within .pst Using Outlook 5
P Outlook Backup Tool says 'files not open' Using Outlook 2
J Access Denied - Error Applying Attributes to Outlook.pst After Backup Using Outlook 1
C .pst backup deletion causing problem Using Outlook 2