Ex2003 to Ex2010 Migration - how to remove orphaned public folder replicas on Ex2003?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

ravo2

Hi all,

we done the Ex2003 (1x FE, 1x BE server) to Ex2010 (2x MBX in DAG, 2x CAS&Hub in NLB) migration. We moved all PF using the PS2 scripts from Ex2010 about three month ago and leaved legacy Back-End server in environment to let clients' Outlook get the information about move.

Yesterday we wanted to remove the legacy Exchange server and noticed there are few of PF replicas in old Public Folder Store, however both Ex2003's ESM and Ex2010's cmdlets show that all PF have only one replica - on the new Ex2010 server.

That's why we cannot uninstall the Ex2003 - there are few of obsolete PF replicas. We've tried to do manual backup of PF store using ntbackup and initiate the moving the replicas using Ex2003's ESM (right-click on the PF Store and select Move All Replicas). No result yet (after about 8 hours).

How can we remove them from the Ex2003? We definitely prefere the " clean" uninstall of Exchange 2003, however we do not mind the " dirty" removing of PF. The MSKB 833396 is the last possibility...

Thanks!
R.*

R

ravo2

Hi Tim,

thanks for your reply as well as for the links, I'll follow them.

We still do not use 2010 SP1, we'd like to get rig od the Ex2003 before. Do you thing the SP1 will simplify the orphaned PF replicas removing?

Thanks!

R.*

T

TWHarrington

I believe that SP1 will definitely help. Either need SP1 or run the script.

R

ravo2

ok, i'll discuss this with the rest of Exhcange team and will you keep you in as soon as any progress come.

Thanks!

R.*

R

ravo2

Hi Tim,

we'll install SP1 on Hub/CAS servers this friday and then after few days to DAG members (have no capacity to do it at once). Will the SP1 on Hub/CAS server be enough to resolve this replicas issue, or it's MBX server related?

Thanks!
R.*

J

James-Luo

By “orphaned public folder replicas”, do you mean that BE server has been removed from the replica list of the public folders, but the folders still remain in the “Public folder instances” via ESM?

In the “Public folder instances” node via ESM, which folders do you see on the BE server"s public folder database?

Please run ISINTEG to confirm the health of the public folder database on the BE server, add the server back to the remaining public folder instances, and then remove the BE server again from the replica list

To remove the instances from the database, exchange server must receive a RDPA (Replica Delete Pending Ack), which indicates that it"s ok to delete the instances. Please use the article below to troubleshoot your issue

“Troubleshooting Replica Deletion” section in Troubleshooting Replica Deletion and Common Problems

James Luo

R

ravo2

Hi james,

yes, you're absolutely right - the legacy BE server is not listed as replica holder in PF properties, however in ESM I can see the PF in PF instances.

Thanks for the link, I'll go through it, as well as I'll run the isinteg utility to the PF database.

I'll keep you in.

Thanks!

R.*

R

ravo2

Hi James,

I've run isinteg and eseutil integrity ckech over the PF database. Then I've mounted PF DB back and initiate Move All Replicas. In the Event Log I can see several Events like this one:

Event Type: Information Event Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store Event Category: Replication Outgoing Messages Event ID: 3017 Date: 6.10.2010 Time: 10:48:19 User: N/A Computer: SE02 Description: Outgoing message type 0x20 Message ID: <2BEFED9116BEB34D8FE22989E61A73B6373205@se02.domain.cz> Folder(s): (5-4D5B5) IPM_SUBTREE\NetID\vyrizeno Database " SG1\Public Folder Store (SE02)" . For more information, click http://www.microsoft.com/contentredirect.asp.

However, in the SMTP log of either ex2003 or ex2010 I cannot see any new message, in the Exchange 2010 MBX server's Event log there is no Incomming Replication event - on both ex2003 and ex2010 I've set Maximum and High logging level resectively on the Public Folder Replication items.

I've try to add replica of one folder back to the ex2003 server and remove it again, no result :(

R.*

R

ravo2

I've just noticed the earlier periodically repeated Events in the Application Event Log on the ex2010 MBX server. The Folder names match the " orphaned" ones on the ex2003 BE:

Log Name: Application Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store Date: 5.10.2010 22:35:59 Event ID: 3085 Task Category: Replication Errors Level: Warning Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: SE21.domain.cz Description: Error 1129 occurred while generating an outgoing replication message. Type: 0x80000004 Folder: (8-4D5B5) IPM_SUBTREE\NetID\vyrizeno Database " Public Folder Database" .
What can that mean?

Thanks!

R.*

R

ravo2

Rollback - this warnings in ex2010 EventLog contains both " orphaned" PF replicas (staying in ex2003) and " healthy" ones (correctly replicated to ex2010 and deleted on ex2003).

More, I can see the incomming replication events in the App EventLog on ex2010, however no 0x10 replication events are sent back to the ex2003...

Log Name: Application Source: MSExchangeIS Public Store Date: 6.10.2010 12:56:42 Event ID: 3027 Task Category: Replication Incoming Messages Level: Information Keywords: Classic User: N/A Computer: SE21.domain.cz Description: An incoming replication message was processed. Type: 0x20 Message ID: <2BEFED9116BEB34D8FE22989E61A73B6373601@se02.domain.cz> Database " Public Folder Database" . Folder(s): (8-4D5B5) IPM_SUBTREE\NetID\vyrizeno Server: /o=Univerzita Pardubice/ou=First Administrative Group/cn=Configuration/cn=Servers/cn=SE02/cn=Microsoft Public MDB

How long it can take to ex2010 generates the 0x10 replication message?

I've turned on the pipeline logging using this blog item , no result yet...

R.*

J

James-Luo

0x20 (3017) has been sent from exchange 2003 server to exchange 2010 server. There"re two things that can trigger the status request:

&middot; A new store being added to the replica list of a folder

&middot; An old store being deleted from the replica list of a folder

I assume the event is triggered as you added BE server into the replica list of the folder &ldquo;vyrizeno&rdquo;

However, message ID isn"t the same in the incoming replication message on the exchange 2010 server:

2BEFED9116BEB34D8FE22989E61A73B6373601@se02.domain.cz (3017.BE)

2BEFED9116BEB34D8FE22989E61A73B6373205@se02.domain.cz (3027.E2010)

So I think, either the original 0x20 message hasn"t delivered to exchange 2010 server, or you missed that event. And you have performed one of the two actions above again, and this time, exchange 2010 server has confirmed that it has received the incoming 0x20

For the folder &ldquo;vyrizeno&rdquo;, you got Error 1129 when generated outgoing replication message. Since the event type is 0x80000004, it"s a backfill response for actual content in the folder. It"s really difficult to tell the cause of this error

Currently, you can follow the steps in the second article of that public folder replication series. By performed the steps, you can narrow down the root cause

James Luo

R

ravo2

Hi James,

I assume the 0x20 replica mesage was sent after I initiated the " Move All Replicas" in ESM. You're right, I realize I done it twice, so that I select not-matching Event on Ex2010.

However, as I'm getting deeper in the replication process, I assume there was something wrong during initial replication just after the Ex2010 installation and adding the ex2010 replicas to public folders. Unfortunatelly, that was done about four month ago and we do not have Event logs from that time :-(

Well, as i understand, ex2010 does not have all information from ex2003 - am I right? Maybe, select " Resend Changes" in ESM will resolve this problem?

I'll go through the article you sent and try to investigate the source of this problem.

I'll keep you in.

R.*

R

ravo2

Hi James,

few folder replicas has gone from the ex2003, I assume the isinteg & eseutil /p has done huge piece of work... Now I can see in the Event Logs on ex2003 and ex2010 some 0x8 and 0x10 messages.

However, I've noticed few errors in the 'ContentConversionTracing' logs (turned on using this blog item as I wrote yesterday) - there are " Message content has become corrupted. " and " Property validation failed. " (Categories) errors.

For the first error (message content corrupted) in that blog article there is the MSKB 936000 mentioned - but we have newer versions of files defined in the MSKB. I'm not sure whether to install that hotfix or not...

For the second error (categories property validation failed) in that blog article there is described some Outlook " tweak" - however I'm not sure how can I connect to the ex2003 replica of PF using Outlook...

Maybe, the SP1 we're going to install tomorrow on Hub/CAS servers will help?

Thanks!

R.*

J

James-Luo

Quote: &ldquo;Now I can see in the Event Logs on ex2003 and ex2010 some 0x8 and 0x10 messages&rdquo;

Good, this means that the backfill procedure is going on

Quote: &ldquo;but we have newer versions of files defined in the MSKB&rdquo;

All files have the higher version number than those in the Hotfix?

For validation error, you can use the methods in the first link from Tim above. There described the methods to handle such issue even you didn"t apply exchange 2010 SP1 yet

James Luo

R

ravo2

Hi James,

Yes, all files defined in MSKB 936000 is newer on the ex2003. I'll try to investigate the validation error

R.*

R

ravo2

Hi James,

just two PF are left on the Ex2003.

I've upgrade the Hub&CAS servers to the Ex2010 SP1 on Friday and I hope the PipelineTracing / ContentConversionTracing logs will be empty. There are few (about ten) errors I've mentioned above Since I've turned them on, but there is no new error after SP1 installed.

I'm going to wait few days before installing SP1 on Mailbox servers, maybe the last two PFs will repliace soon :)

R.*

R

ravo2

We've successfully removed the old EX2003 - I must say I do not exactly know, how my co-worker removed the remaining two PFs, I suppose he used Outlook connected to the old Exchange.

A huge piece of work was done with isinteg & eseutil /p - maybe there are some troubles with integrity preventing correct replication. I think that Exchange 2010 SP1 was an issue as well (some PFs was replicated after upgradint HUB servers).

Many thanks to Tim and James to kindly help me solve this problem!
R.*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Migration Ex2003 to Ex2010 problem, cannot see old mailboxes/users Exchange Server Administration 32
R cannot uninstall EX2003 after transition to EX2010 Exchange Server Administration 6
R Transition from Ex2003 to Ex2010 Exchange Server Administration 11
A Does I need to move & upgrade Default Address Lists from EX2003 to EX2010 Server Exchange Server Administration 12
T Migration From Ex2003 to Ex 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
C Ex2010 problems with mail-enabled public folders Exchange Server Administration 0
M How do I get a copy of the NDRs sent to an administrator in EX2010 Exchange Server Administration 4
N EX2010 SP1 RU2 - High CPU Usage - Exchange Search Servuce Exchange Server Administration 4
M Recommended Reboots for EX2010 Exchange Server Administration 6
G Ex2010: Edge Sync / SynStatus Inconclusive? Exchange Server Administration 7
L Following migration from EX2k3 to Ex2010 meeting requests do not appear as tentative Exchange Server Administration 2
A EX2010 ERROR Exchange Server Administration 4
M EX2007 - EX2010 - Public Folder Migration, some items are missing with MSExchange Store Driver 1020 Exchange Server Administration 1
P Ex2010 active sync Exchange Server Administration 4
P Migrating Exchange 2007 to 2010 no mail going between servers or out from the Ex2010 servrer Exchange Server Administration 6
J ex2010 edge transport - inbound from internet Exchange Server Administration 7
C ex2010 outlook03 autodiscover working??? Using Outlook 5
E OWA not working "out of the box" with Ex2010 (or after SP1, or after SP1 RU1)! Exchange Server Administration 3
J EX2010 to 2003 does not work with Outlook but does with OWA Exchange Server Administration 2
Y Public Folders move from EX2007 to EX2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
A not able to change password by EX2010 OWA for few user's Exchange Server Administration 26
M outlook client gives security alert after setting up EX2010 owa on server Exchange Server Administration 7
M Mailbox Database failover in Ex2010 RC Exchange Server Administration 7
Microfiche Migration from Office 2016 H&B to Office 365 Using Outlook 0
B Headache with Hotmail and Outlook since migration Exchange Server Administration 10
Diane Poremsky Data loss may occur during public folder migration New Slipstick.com Articles 0
M The coming Outlook migration Using Outlook 1
M Data File Management confusion after migration Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Outlook.com Migration Status New Slipstick.com Articles 0
A Migration to Exchange, still happening? How will I know when? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 1
W Outlook.com -> Exchange Migration Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Exchange Server Migration Tools New Slipstick.com Articles 0
C Changing Domain -- Assigned To User field Migration? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
H Exchange 2013 ECP migration connects to crashed server Exchange Server Administration 0
J Migration from BCM 2010 to 2013 is messing up the label fields BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
P correct public folder migration exchange 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
P migration issue from OL2003 to OL2010 with custom contact form Using Outlook 7
S BCM 2007 to 2010 migration failure issue BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
S Public FolderEmail Sort Problems Outlook 2010/Migration from 2003 SBS to 2011S Using Outlook 3
C Outllook Migration - Office 200? - 2010 - Shared Mailbox Export-Bulk 500 users Using Outlook 1
D Biggest migration problem - X500 addresses Exchange Server Administration 1
J Contacts Notes field will not mail merge after migration to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
B Steps after migration from 2007 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
J Legacy SCHEDULE + FREE BUSY system PFs leftover after complete migration Exchange Server Administration 1
J Exchange 2010 migration Certificate Question Exchange Server Administration 4
N Automatized migration from Outlook Express to Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
S Internet Mail SMTP Connector Problem on Exchange 2010 after Migration Exchange Server Administration 2
O Exchange Activesync gives support code: 0x86000c01 after Exchange Server Migration Using Outlook 4
M Outlook profile migration during Office 2010 upgrade? Using Outlook 1
N Automatized migration from Outlook Express to Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1