Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neil T Holland

We have about 20 Office 2010 installs (another 20 planned). Emails received from 4 of those (so far) are occasionally (30% of the time?) received with portions of the body text corrupted. Sections of the text will be replaced with random characters, though it has the look of control code sequences so my guess is formatting gone bad.

The email that is received corrupted appears as un-corrupted in the sender's SENT box. We have numerous email clients doing the receiving, ie not just Outlook 2010, so I've ruled out it being a problem at the receiving end.

I have found no other reports on-line of others having similar problems. So far the only thing I tried to fix it is to un-install and re-install Outlook on one PC, but it didn't help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

N

Neil T Holland

Hi Diane; Thanks for the quick reply. I got sidetracked but am back on this issue. To answer your question we run MS Security Essentials on all our desktops for AV.

Since my initial post last week we discovered that if you go into Options --> Mail and change the Compose message format from HTML to Rich Text it seems to solve the problem. And looking at the characters that are replacing portions of the email body they look suspiciously like formatting codes. Here's an example " < p class= right now he probably won't be able..." -- whatever words preceded " right now" were replaced with " < p class =" . Often the replacement text appears more like random characters however.

Anyhow we have a temporary fix, but would like to be able to go back to HTML format if possible. We are now up to 6 users showing this behavior.

We noticed another thing after changing to Rich Text format. Attachments are now called an " Insert file" , and they appear as a icon in the body of the email. The recipient receives the email with the attachment so everything works out fine, but for the sender it's a little weird. Is this correct behavior for the program, and if so why make the change for Rich Text only?

Regards, Neil.

N

Neil T Holland

Further on this... since changing the Compose message format to Rich Text, email with attachments received from _some_ of our Outlook 2010 installs the attachments appear in the INBOX as a single .dat file, which renders them useless to the recipient. Note that this is not universal behavior ie. other the Outlook 2010 installs that send emails with attachments, the attachments appear in the INBOX correctly ex. file1.doc file2.xls file3.pdf

B

Blathermouth

I have the exact same problem, and appears to be occuring from a desktop machine running Win7 Ultimate 64bit and a Netbook running Win7 Pro 32bit. I was running the beta version of Office 2010 on both machines, and had assumed this was the problem. I have since updated both machines to the shipping version of Office 2010 (64bit on the desktop and 32bit on the netbook), and the problem is still there. I connect both machines to an Exchange 2003 server via SSL over the internet. It looks to me like the HTML encoding is somehow getting messed up, but it's not clear where. If I cc an internal user (a co-worker on same Exchange server) that user receives the message properly, while an outside user receives it corrupted. So it almost looks like the corruption is occurring on the Exchange server, and not the Outlook client. I will switch to RichText formatting for now, but based on Neil's feedback, I don't think I'll like it much... For the record, prior to using Outlook 2010, I used Office 2007 in the exact same environment without any such issues. Mike

N

Neil T Holland

Hi, the OP (Neil) here. I know it's no help to you but I'm at least happy to see that we're not the only ones on the globe with this problem. Perhaps if we make enough noise we'll get a fix someday.

I've posted this 3 times (because MS doesn't follow up on replies) and pretty much the offical line is that it's being caused by the Anti-Virus software. Besides the fact that we use MSE here and the MSE team has assured me that it doesn't touch incoming/outgoing email itself, we gone through the exercise of deactivating AV software and it made no difference regarding the corruption problem. I'm going to keep creating threads on this until I get some response that's of use.

We don't use Exchange at all. Internal and external recipients seem as likely to receive corrupted emails, so _not_ having Exchange in the loop might be a factor somehow. And in the end changing the outgoing message format from HTML to Rich Text or Plain Text did not solve the problem, though it seems to happen more often with HTML format.

We're also running Win7 Pro 64 bit, but not Ultimate.

Anyhow I'm going to keep posting this and if I get a solution I'll pass it along. If you learn anything of value I'd be grateful if hear it. Good hunting!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Outlook for Mac - emails are not sent out beginning last week Using Outlook 1
R Outlook for Mac - Advanced Search and Tracking Sent Emails Using Outlook 0
T Compacting Outlook 2010 OST results in old emails being re-sent Using Outlook 6
T Outlook 2010 sent emails vanish Using Outlook 7
S trouble with Outlook 2010 saving sent emails Using Outlook 2
M How do you keep sent emails in the PST folder in outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
D Outlook Archiving sent emails which have been moved to inbox folders Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 Sent emails don't appear in the sent mail folder Using Outlook 9
N Configure Outlook 2010 to download sent emails Using Outlook 4
M Outlook doesn't save sent emails Using Outlook 1
D Do Outlook folders/emails still remain on the disk even if they've been deleted/sent to trash? Using Outlook 2
R Microsoft Outlook 2007 emails are sending but staying in Outbox &amp; send items are not in Sent box Using Outlook 2
G Add read receipt & opened links for sent emails - Outlook 2011 Using Outlook 2
L Outlook sent emails turn to dat file or winmail cannot be opened Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2007 - Reply emails sent from wrong account Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2003 (when looking at emails shows my name and not who sent the emails) Using Outlook 2
W Emails sent from Outlook, not saved in webmail. Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 2010: Rule to move sent emails doesn't start if I Use "Send To" command on a file on desktop Using Outlook 3
N Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text Using Outlook 37
N Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text Using Outlook 2
N Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text Using Outlook 2
M I can receive emails. I reply or create a new e-mail and outlook shows it was successfully sent to the recipient. HOwever, the recipient never receive Using Outlook 2
J wireless always allows me to send/receive emails via outlook 2007. recent move to university gives me internet access but no emails can be sent or rec Using Outlook 1
D First email in outbox not going through in Outlook 2007; additional emails do get sent Using Outlook 10
M Missing headers in sent emails when showing in groups in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 2
K Sent emails that were bounced back are missing, no where in outlook. Using Outlook 2
S Outgoing emails in Outlook 2010 are in duplicate but not shown in sent items Using Outlook 1
M OWA emails sent in firefox not readable in outlook Using Outlook 2
B Create a rule to move emails after being sent to specific domains Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
B just started up outlook 2010, initial startup problems...hangs up on deleting emails, won't file sent messages Using Outlook 4
N Outlook 2010, Emails are sent promptly but recipient gets only after long delay (45-60 minutes) Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2007 not showing hyperlinks (in automated emails sent in plain text.) Using Outlook 11
A My Outlook stopped saving my sent emails to the Sent Items folder Using Outlook 3
F OUTLOOK 2010 SAVING SENT EMAILS ON EXCHANGE SERVER Using Outlook 2
N Sent emails not reflected in all IMAP Folders Using Outlook 4
V Emails remain in Drafts folder even though they have been sent Using Outlook 4
V Emails going into Drafts instead of Sent folder Using Outlook 3
C Filter/Search emails sent to internal Exchange address only Using Outlook 2
S Emails Configured As HTML But Sent As Plain Text Using Outlook 13
M Emails being sent to Inbox and IPM_Subtree Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
D Emails do not appear in Sent box! Using Outlook 4
B Mass customized emails sent weekly Using Outlook 0
I Large emails not sent from correct account Using Outlook 0
R Track Sent Emails that have not been Responded Using Outlook 1
T Duplicate emails in different "sent" boxes. Using Outlook 2
K Clicking reply on sent emails TO field Using Outlook 2
S how to keep "To" when move sent emails to other folder Using Outlook 1
V Mark BCC when emails is sent from specific account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Move sent items emails to hard disk Using Outlook 10
L VBA Macro to flag sent emails Using Outlook 1