New meeting requests not appearing as tentative on Calendar

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jim Curl

I have an intermittent problem that I hope the community can help with.

I often receive meeting invites that do not appear on my calendar. The normal process is that when someone sends me a meeting invite that it appears in my in box and will also appear in my calendar marked as tentative until I accept or reject it.

Intermittently a meeting invite will appear in my inbox, will not appear in my calendar and when I open it the blue status bar at the top will say something to the effect of: " This meeting is not on the calendar, it may have been moved or deleted." It does this even thought the meeting has not been moved or deleted, it is just not there.

This is a problem as I am often away from computer for hours at a time. If I haven't noticed the invite on my Blackberry and accepted it, it may not be on my calendar and thus does not appear on my Blackberry calendar also. The meeting reminder is not set since the meeting is not on the calendar and thus I get no warning about the meeting.

I will sometimes get a call, saying, " where are you" to to a meeting that is not on my outlook calendar and thus not replicated on my Blackberry.

I cannot correlate this to a particular sender, to whether I am on line or off line at the time it is sent, or whether the meeting announcement came from internal or external sources. It happens about 40% of the time.

I'm running Outlook 2007 on WinXP on an enterprise Exchange 2007 sever. Patches are up to date and I don't believe anything else is wrong.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

My sense is that it's probably caused by BES. The timing may sometimes be such that BES touches the message (to sync to Blackberry) before Outlook can process the meeting request and add the tentative appointment to the calendar. It's just a hunch.

Does your version of BES allow you to configure how often it syncs with Exchange? If so, could you perhaps set the interval to be somewhat longer and see if that effects how often this happens?

Or...turn off BES for a couple of hours and hope (or arrange) for a few meeting requests to come in and see if the problem occurs without BES running.

J

Jim Curl

Thanks Ben,

I very much appreciate your response. I lack the ability to reach into the infrastructure to the degree necessary to really test this theory. I do suspect that if it was a configuration/timing issue with the BES that thousands of users would be seeing this and thus my exchange team would be more motivated to fix it!! There are about 130,000 users on exchange and probably half of them have Blackberries. I do think that you bring up a good point dealing with timing of messages.

I do have a delegate for my mailbox that has rights but doesn't really manage my calendar. My secretary has full rights to my calendar and sees all my invites. I need to check with her and find out what she does with new invites that may be causing this problem. I like to manage my own calendar so she doesn't routinely process invites, but she may do something like move them out of her inbox before I can get to them. I wonder if that would cause this.

I'll write back if that seems to be the issue.

Thanks for putting me on a path to solving this.

Jim

J

Jim Curl

Ran a quick test on this.

I had my someone send me invites, my secretary did nothing to one, moved one to an off line folder (in a .pst) and deleted one.

The simple experiment seemed to indicate that if the meeting was moved or deletedwithout being opened or before it had a chance to sync with my calendar there was a problem, if she opened it, or took an action after it was on my calendar it appears to be ok.

We just had time for a simple test, and she is going to watch for this occurring and make sure she doesn't do anything before the meeting shows up.

Maybe this will help.

T

ThomasMueller

I am experiencing the exact same problem. The only difference in my environment is that I have not assigned any delegates for my inbox. Were you able to find a solution?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
diver864 vba for a rule to automatically accept meeting requests with 'vacation' in subject, change to all-day event, change to free, don't send reply Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Diane Poremsky Delegates, Meeting Requests, and Rules New Slipstick.com Articles 0
J Terminated Employee Meeting Requests Using Outlook 0
J Can I sort meeting requests by the date of meeting? Using Outlook 4
D After Moving or Deleting Open Item - Meeting Requests Using Outlook 4
K Appointments turn into meeting requests Using Outlook 0
S edits to free/busy fielddon't show up in meeting requests Using Outlook 2
K Prevent meeting requests being sent from a shared calendar in a group mailbox Using Outlook 1
M Running macros in tasks sent out as meeting requests in invitees machine Using Outlook 4
R Meeting requests and appointments not working as expected Using Outlook 2
E vCalendar Meeting Requests sending updates instead of sending new invitation Using Outlook 24
S Meeting Requests - ex-employee being invite, but not in recipient list Exchange Server Administration 3
M Outlook not auto- accepting meeting requests Using Outlook 2
X Auto Decline all meeting requests? Suggesions? Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 rule not recognizing inbound meeting requests Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2010 Meeting Requests getting stuck in drafts folder Using Outlook 1
S Ghost Meeting showing up in Resource Room Free/Busy - Declining New Meeting Requests Exchange Server Administration 3
L Meeting Requests Disappears in Calendar Using Outlook 2
L Following migration from EX2k3 to Ex2010 meeting requests do not appear as tentative Exchange Server Administration 2
G Exchange 2010 Delegates not getting forwarded meeting requests Exchange Server Administration 5
F Outlook 2010 Incoming Meeting Requests display as text / code, cannot accept these invites (includes Using Outlook 4
C Automatically send 'accepted' responses (to meeting requests) to delete box. Using Outlook 1
F Outlook 2010: Meeting requests calendar preview and new IMAP features not working in IMAP inbox Using Outlook 2
S Unable to respond to meeting requests Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2003: Unable to accept meeting requests Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2010 vs. Exchange 2003 - Auto accept meeting requests not working Using Outlook 1
R Sending blank meeting requests Using Outlook 2
K Meeting Requests in HTML - Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
T Is there a BCC field for Outlook meeting requests? Using Outlook 1
R Meeting requests are getting deleted from my calendar Using Outlook 2
K The format in which I receive meeting requests Using Outlook 2
M Problem with meeting requests (default reminder set to 15 minutes by Exchange) Exchange Server Administration 4
T Printing off responses to Meeting Requests Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
P Scheduling a meeting in Outlook Outlook Wishlist 3
S Skype for business meeting vba code Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Unable to save recurring Meeting to Documents folder due to error Using Outlook 2
S Meeting with Time Slots Using Outlook 2
egarneau Meeting updates with external contacts (GMail) Using Outlook 1
L automaticaly create a teams meeting with a sync Using Outlook 0
R auto send email when meeting closes from a shared calendar only Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
S Meeting Invite arrives from Wrong ("send-as") Sender Using Outlook 1
Daniel Schunk Meeting responses are not shown in the status area Using Outlook 2
A End-time meeting reminder (or "negative" time relative to the meeting start time) Using Outlook 1
J Help Please!!! Outlook 2016 - VBA Macro for replying with attachment in meeting invite Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
T Pick-a-Meeting in Outlook 365 New Slipstick.com Articles 2
J No response required when delegate arranging meeting Using Outlook 0
S Accepting meeting request from calendar keeps the meeting request in the inbox Using Outlook 2
D Add all meeting rooms to the meeting request by default Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Rick Rickert Would like bigger meeting notifications. Using Outlook 3
G Auto accept meeting request for non primary account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1