Cursor in reading pane

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Danny.D

I just installed Office 2010 RTM, and I have a question about odd behavior in Outlook 2010.

There is a blinking cursor in the reading pane of each e-mail message body. This is odd for two reasons: 1) E-mails in the reading pane are not editable. So, there is no need for a cursor and 2) This behavior was not present in my Beta version of Office 2010.

The blinking cursor is very distracting as I am trying to simply browse and read e-mails. If anyone has any tips on how to get rid of this cursor, I would be very grateful.

Thanks.

E

Ezil Vinoth

Check in Outlook safe mode.

Hold the ctrl key and click on Outlook icon and open in safe mode, now check with Outlook. If you are able to work without any issues then it is due to add-ins. Follow the steps below and disable add-ins in Outlook 2010.

1. Open Outlook

2. Click on File> options> Add-ins

3. Click on "GO" beside Manage – COM Add-ins and uncheck the add-ins and click ok.

4. Close and open Outlook and check.

If the above step does not fix the issue, create a new profile in Outlook and check.

D

Danny.D

Hi Ezil,

Thank you for your suggestion. I opened Outlook in safe made, as you described. The same cursor behavior persists.

I assume that this cursor behavior is not normal. Can you confirm that in your copy of Outlook 2010 there is not cursor in the e-mail reading pane?

Thanks,

Danny

E

Ezil Vinoth

You will not have the cursor blinking in the reading pane. Cursor would appear only if that part of the document or email is editable. Once you try to reply or forward the email, you will see the cursor.

Did a new profile help? Verify the status.

D

Danny.D

Hi Ezil,

I created a new profile and still got the same result.

Danny

E

Ezil Vinoth

A screen shot or a print screen would help us better to provide the solution for the issue.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
M When I click “new message” in outlook, my cursor defaults to the body of the m Using Outlook 6
K Placing cursor over an email name it would show the name of the person Using Outlook 1
L Mouse cursor disappearing in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
B Cursor location in email item? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Test if cursor is in To... field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F Insert date at cursor location Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
T current cursor position in the reply event Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
C Custom Form (seperate layout pages and message reading pane) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
C Reading Pane for Custom Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
llama_thumper Composingemails in reading pane Using Outlook 1
O Reading Pane safety Using Outlook 0
P Reading Pane (Reading Pain?) Default Setting Using Outlook 1
U Outbox Message Stuck after reading some MailItem Properties with VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook 2016 bottom reading pane has disappeared Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2016: Changing default font for Notes and Reading Pane Using Outlook 4
Rupert Dragwater "there was an error reading this theme" Using Outlook 3
R Toggle the Reading Pane using Keyboard Shortcut Using Outlook 0
T Format Reading Pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
B Auto Preview Attachment in Inspector Reading Pane Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
D Calendar view problems with reading pane open Using Outlook 0
E Reading Pane has disappeared Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 - Reading Pane and To Do Bar Settings Not Saved on Exit Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Excel Files Won't Display in Reading Pane New Slipstick.com Articles 1
S How can I Customize Message Header in both Reading Pane and Open Message Design? Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2007: how to narrow the reading pane and the composing pane Using Outlook 0
P Custom Forms in Reading/Viewing Pane Using Outlook 1
L Reading Pane - COMPLETELY DISABLE? Using Outlook 10
T Outgoing Messages in the Reading Pane Cannot Be Flagged in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 6
F Outlook 2007 - Reading Pane Automatically Downloads First/Topmost Message Using Outlook 4
B Outlook 2010 won't save 'current view' with reading pane at 'bottom' Using Outlook 4
F Outlook 2010, reading pane, global settting for fields? Using Outlook 1
V Reading/Posting in Newsgroups Using Outlook 1
C Contact photos not showing in reading pane in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 3
T Killing reading pane - "globally" Using Outlook 11
L Show all images for jpg attachments in reading pane for received emails? Using Outlook 3
A Received Date None after reading Using Outlook 2
M Viewing Custom Form Fields in the Reading Pane and in Replies Using Outlook 3
P exchange management consoles has stoped working and yes I have read the above article and tried the troubleshooter and spent days reading and trying d Exchange Server Administration 0
M Reading .msg Messages In MS Outlook For Mac 2011 Using Outlook 1
R Reading Pane text appearing all the way to the right... Using Outlook 1
C Change default reading font in Outlook from Times New Roman 12 point to Arial Using Outlook 2
B Reading CompressedRichText field in SQL database BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
L Windows Instant Search Indexing not working need help reading Event Log Using Outlook 2
B Huge characters when reading some mails Using Outlook 42
J Outlook 2010 reading pane option - want to permanently adjust the zoom setting. Using Outlook 13
A Outlook 2010 keeps closing and restarting when reading messages Using Outlook 12
S Outlook 2010 reading pane not clearing Using Outlook 3
R Proof Of Looping Bug in Reading Outlook Inbox From Access? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L Reading another mailbox Address Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2