Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neil T Holland

We have about 20 Office 2010 installs, 20 to go. Emails received from 6 (so far) of those are occasionally (25% of the time?) received with portions of the body text corrupted. Sections of the text will be replaced with random characters, though it has the look of control code sequences so my guess is formatting gone bad.

Here's an example from the body of a received email:
" < p class= right now he probably won't be able..."

The original words preceding " right now" were replaced with " < p class =" . More commonly the replacement text seems like random characters however.

The email that is received corrupted appears as un-corrupted in the sender's SENT box. We have numerous email clients doing the receiving, ie not just Outlook 2010, so I've ruled out it being a problem at the receiving end.

We run MS Security Essentials for AV on all desktops.

We've discovered that if we go into Options --> Mail and change the Compose message format from HTML to Rich Text it seems to solve the problem. However attachments now behave inconsistently. Specifically emails with attachments sent from _some_ Outlook clients using Rich Text format are received as a single .dat file and are unusable.

So, changing the compose message format to Rich Text is not a fix.

I have found no other reports on-line of others having similar problems. So far the only thing I tried to fix it is to un-install and re-install Outlook on one PC, but it didn't help. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

B

Brian Tillman

The most common cause of this is scanning your mail with an antivirus program. It may be yours or it may be the recipients'. To further test this, you and your recipient should completely uninstall your antivirus programs and reinstall them without any mail scanning feature. This will not compromise your security in any way.

N

Neil T Holland

Thanks for the reply. We're running MS Security Essentials on both ends. I don't recall seeing the option to disable email scanning during install. Either way I can go into the pgm and disable real-time scanning, is that sufficient? Please explain to me how this does not compromise our security in any way.

Regardless, given the random nature of this problem we need to monitor all email sent from one of the identified PCs for days to ensure corruption is stopped. What I'm getting at is do you know of any other things that we could try in the interim? In fact switching to Rich Text format would be an acceptable solution except for the problem with attachments as described above. Do you have a fix for that?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Outlook for Mac - emails are not sent out beginning last week Using Outlook 1
R Outlook for Mac - Advanced Search and Tracking Sent Emails Using Outlook 0
T Compacting Outlook 2010 OST results in old emails being re-sent Using Outlook 6
T Outlook 2010 sent emails vanish Using Outlook 7
S trouble with Outlook 2010 saving sent emails Using Outlook 2
M How do you keep sent emails in the PST folder in outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
D Outlook Archiving sent emails which have been moved to inbox folders Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 Sent emails don't appear in the sent mail folder Using Outlook 9
N Configure Outlook 2010 to download sent emails Using Outlook 4
M Outlook doesn't save sent emails Using Outlook 1
D Do Outlook folders/emails still remain on the disk even if they've been deleted/sent to trash? Using Outlook 2
R Microsoft Outlook 2007 emails are sending but staying in Outbox &amp; send items are not in Sent box Using Outlook 2
G Add read receipt & opened links for sent emails - Outlook 2011 Using Outlook 2
L Outlook sent emails turn to dat file or winmail cannot be opened Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2007 - Reply emails sent from wrong account Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2003 (when looking at emails shows my name and not who sent the emails) Using Outlook 2
W Emails sent from Outlook, not saved in webmail. Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 2010: Rule to move sent emails doesn't start if I Use "Send To" command on a file on desktop Using Outlook 3
N Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text Using Outlook 37
N Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text Using Outlook 2
M I can receive emails. I reply or create a new e-mail and outlook shows it was successfully sent to the recipient. HOwever, the recipient never receive Using Outlook 2
N Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text Using Outlook 5
J wireless always allows me to send/receive emails via outlook 2007. recent move to university gives me internet access but no emails can be sent or rec Using Outlook 1
D First email in outbox not going through in Outlook 2007; additional emails do get sent Using Outlook 10
M Missing headers in sent emails when showing in groups in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 2
K Sent emails that were bounced back are missing, no where in outlook. Using Outlook 2
M OWA emails sent in firefox not readable in outlook Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2007 not showing hyperlinks (in automated emails sent in plain text.) Using Outlook 11
F OUTLOOK 2010 SAVING SENT EMAILS ON EXCHANGE SERVER Using Outlook 2
N Sent emails not reflected in all IMAP Folders Using Outlook 4
V Emails remain in Drafts folder even though they have been sent Using Outlook 4
V Emails going into Drafts instead of Sent folder Using Outlook 3
C Filter/Search emails sent to internal Exchange address only Using Outlook 2
S Emails Configured As HTML But Sent As Plain Text Using Outlook 13
M Emails being sent to Inbox and IPM_Subtree Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
D Emails do not appear in Sent box! Using Outlook 4
B Mass customized emails sent weekly Using Outlook 0
I Large emails not sent from correct account Using Outlook 0
R Track Sent Emails that have not been Responded Using Outlook 1
T Duplicate emails in different "sent" boxes. Using Outlook 2
K Clicking reply on sent emails TO field Using Outlook 2
S how to keep "To" when move sent emails to other folder Using Outlook 1
V Mark BCC when emails is sent from specific account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Move sent items emails to hard disk Using Outlook 10
L VBA Macro to flag sent emails Using Outlook 1
L Auto-set followup/reminder popup box for ALL sent emails. Using Outlook 0
Y Search/list all emails sent between 6pm to 12am in the past 30 days Using Outlook 3
A account hacked, need software to determine what emails have been sent Using Outlook 1
M Sorting "sent emails" is not logical. Is there a better way. Using Outlook 4
F Seeing the recipient in sent emails Using Outlook 1