Outlook 2010 (32bit) crashes on Windows 7 (64bit) when I view desktop

Status
Not open for further replies.
S

SimRoberts

My outlook is killed when I view the desktop regardless of how I do that.

Toggle to desktop using ALT+TAB; Toggle to desktop using WINDOWS+TAB; click desktop on the taskbar; hit WINDOWS+M

Notably it is not killed it I simply select a differnet application through these toggle methods.

Does anyone know what would cause an application (particularly Outlook) to be killed when desktop viewed.

This problem has only started in the last few days, the notable changes I made to outlook are: I split my email acounts to have separate data files, and added in my hotmail account (this installed something to synch the hotmail account).

Many thanks

Simeon

B

Brian Tillman

What makes you think Outlook is " killed" ? What symptoms lead to you that conclusion?

S

SimRoberts

Actually I think my " Killed" description is wrong. What happens is that the outlook application no longer appears in the ALT+TAB toggle message box and the outlook icon (I have pinned) on the taskbar is no longer highlighted as active. In addition, I have run this error while having the task manager on. Outlook.exe remains running in the process screen, however in the applications screen outlook no longer appears.

I hope this helps clarify.

I have tried running outlook in safe mode and with all addins disabled and the same thing happens. I suspect this is more a Windows 7 thing than outlook specific, but could be wrong.

H

Harry Yuan

Hi,

· There are several methods to troubleshoot this issue:

Method 1:

=============

Reset the Outlook toolbar template. With Outlook close, do a search for and rename outcmd.dat file. Restart Outlook.

Outcmd.dat is located in the folder:

Windows XP: C:\Documents and Settings\<user name>\Local Settings \Application Data\Microsoft\Outlook

Windows Vista/Windows 7: C:\Users\<user name>\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Outlook

It is a hidden file, so you have to unhide hidden files. Go to any folder and select Tools > Folders Options > View. Check " Show hidden files and folders" . Click OK.

Method 2:

============

Register an important Outlook file. Go to Start > Run and type the command and press Enter: regsvr32 OLE32.DLL

Also run: regsvr32 INETCOMM.DLL

Method 3:

=============

Check in safe mode. Click Start, point to All Programs, and then point to Microsoft Office. Press and hold the CTRL key, and then click Microsoft Outlook. If the problem does not occur in the safe mode, this issue might be related to some third-party add-ins in the Outlook program, we can try to disable them. Normally, you could do the following to disable the conflict add-ins in your Outlook program:

Disable add-ins

1. Click File menu, click Options > Add-in, click Go button in the Manage: Com-in Add.

2. Check if there are any add-ins, clear the checkbox to disable them.

3. Close the Office program and restart it.

4. Add one check back each time to the list of Add-In, restart the Office program, and repeat the above procedure. Once the issue reappears again, we can determine which add-in causes this problem and then disable it.

Method 4:

=============

Check if an external program running in the background is interfering with Outlook. Check Firewall, antivirus, antispyware, antispam, and all Norton programs. Disable these programs one at a time.

Method 5:

=============

Create a new Outlook profile.

1. Exit Outlook.

2. Go to Start > Control Panel, click or double-click Mail.

3. Click Show Profiles. Choose Prompt for a profile to be used.

4. Click Add.

5. Type a name for the profile, and then click OK.

6. Start Outlook, and choose this new profile.

If this problem does not occur in the new Outlook profile, the old Outlook is corrupted. We can delete that and use a new Outlook profile.

S

SimRoberts

Hi Harry,

Thanks for help - I saw a number of these resolutions on other posts on related topics. I have now tried them all and nothing has worked. I have reverted to my original set up in Outlook where all accounts are receiving mail to the same data file. This hasn't worked wither.

Additional symptom: if I hit minimise in Outlook it also disappears - so this could be related to the minimisation process... Not sure how to isolate and cure it though - would it be anything to do with services or registery items?

Sim

H

Harry Yuan

Hi,

At this time, I suggest trying the suggestions in this KB article to troubleshoot the issue.

Outlook 2007: Troubleshooting Outlook Crashes

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/2000071

Note: The steps in Outlook 2010 are similar. If you need any help, please let me know.

Regards,

Harry Yuan

S

Sally Tang

Hi,

I am writing to see how everything is going with this issue. Is the problem resolved?

Sally Tang

S

Sally Tang

Hi,

As I have not heard from you for several days. I will go ahead and close this thread. If this issue is not resolved or you have any questions, please feel free to reply to us and this thread will be re-opened.

Sally Tang

S

SimRoberts

That's fine - I still don't have a solution, but I can live with it - i.e. I don't get crashes in any of my activity with Outlook, just when it minimises.

thanks for your collective help.

Sim

I

Isvana

I have the same (I think) problem - except Outlook isn't " crashing" as emails are still being recieved fine (the background pop-up still works and shows me emails arriving).

What I see is when I minimise Outlook pane the Win7 taskbar shows Outlook as closed. Reopening Outlook is as if opening a new window not reopening the previous minimised window.

So not an Outlook crash, maybe a Window crash . More likely a Win7-64 incompatibility with Office2007.

Very annoying (annoying enough for me to do a search for answers and find this thread at least!). Running Win7-64 and Office 2007 32' per the OP.

S

SimRoberts

It sounds exactly the same to me. Annoying, but manageable, although would like to have a solution at some point.

S

SimRoberts

You are a legend - totally sorted it. I must have inadvertently selected the " hide when minimised" option! What an idiot.

So fix for me is:

1. open outlook

2. right click the outlook icon in the taskbar system tray

3. uncheck the " hide when minimized" option.

That simple.

thanks for you help and for me this problem is now closed.

Status
Not open for further replies.