How to do Email Addresses->Contacts->Contact Groups->Folders

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have struggled for years to get Outlook to manage my mail. I have spent a lot of time on Slipstick, evaluated so many Outlook plugins and addons, and even wrote complicated VB code to try and get it to do what I want, and still don't have the right solution. I am hoping somone can advise on a solution (e.g. addon or combination ) which will allow me to do the following:

At the simplest level, I want to be able to define rules that say that emails to or from particular contacts get automatically filed in defined folders. To me this seems really basic and logical. However now the pain begins.

The rules system doesn't really work with mail "to" or "from" a person. So I've created vb script to rewrite the "From" rules that are created by default to "contains email in headers".

However I have a rules list which is too massive to work with, and the rules wizard is too clunky to work with (god, even being able to resize that stupid window would help).

And even this is all email->rule->folder centric, which it shouldn't be. As people add and change email addresses, the rules are outdated, and there is a lot of manual creation.

Really what I want to do is to be able to assign email addresses to contacts, contacts to contact groups, and then emails involving contact groups to destination folders. The system (whether rules wizard or something else) then moves the mails accordingly.

If I have mails left over in my inbox, then I know to add the addresses to a new contact and/or the contact to a recognised group, and it will be dealt with.

I have said "contact group" as a logical concept...I don't care whether this is done with Outlook Categories or some other kind of grouping or tagging structure.

Does anybody know of a system/addon/solution which will allow me to use Outlook in this way?

m thinking even a macro that does this might do.

1. List all folders with assigned categories.

2. List all senders/recipient of the email.

Foreach receipient, list matching contacts.

Foreach matching contact, list any categories.

3. If the category from 2 is in the list of categories from 1, then move the email to the folder.

So basically, there is no mucking around with the rules wizard at all.

By simply managing your contacts, and assigning categories to contacts and folders, all your email would be automatically sorted.

Could anybody help me a script or code fragment that does some of the above?

Forum Admin

Clearcontext will create a folder for each email address. It won't work with groups AFAIK, just individual addresses, unless an updated version looks for contacts assigned to categories. While its popular, when i tested it (several versions ago), it drove me nuts to have so many folders - Outlook is not a filing cabinet and shouldn't be organized as such. :) Nelson Email Organizer may also do the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Extracting email addresses from a folder - how to also get the name of the person the address is for? Using Outlook 5
T How can we view Blocked email addresses Using Outlook 6
A Move email items based on a list of email addresses Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 40
W Create Search Folder excluding Specific Email Addresses Using Outlook 5
M possible to search Outlook for multiple email addresses at once? Using Outlook 1
B Email Addresses Using Outlook 1
cimbian Harvesting email addresses from mail folders Using Outlook 1
A Sending Emails Through Outlook From Multiple Email Addresses Using Outlook 1
Caio "From" field doesn't show extra email addresses in Outlook 2016. Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 6
N Combined emails on 2 iphones from different email addresses Using Outlook 4
Diane Poremsky Add Email Addresses to a Contact Group New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Replace Display Names with Email Addresses New Slipstick.com Articles 0
L Outlook 2007 Delete Email Addresses Using Outlook 19
Z Outlook 2007, clicking email addresses fails to open Contact Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Send email to all addresses for one Contact New Slipstick.com Articles 0
P Is it possible to write a macro to email to all addresses of selected contacts? Using Outlook 1
J Is there a way to disallow sending from certain addresses to specific email addresses? Using Outlook 2
B Automatic picture download and changing email addresses Using Outlook 3
makinmyway How can I easily identify and delete from my contacts defunct email addresses? Using Outlook 2
P How to delete email addresses from auto-complete list? Using Outlook 2
A BCM import email addresses BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
M rule to change subject, pull email addresses from body, and forward with templ Using Outlook 14
J Mass find & delete email addresses from address book. Using Outlook 3
K Rule doesn't work with both exchange and POP3 email addresses Using Outlook 2
K Change default "Display As" for contact email addresses Using Outlook 1
P Addin / macro / rule to highlight email addresses outside company in To: field Using Outlook 3
M Can't send email to certain valid email addresses, message says Using Outlook 1
A Copying cc email addresses to Excel - does not copy the <joe.bloggs@isp.com> Using Outlook 1
R user with dual addresses but only 1 email displayed Using Outlook 2
J adding email addresses Using Outlook 1
R Can not send a newsletter to a group. Does not appear Outlook 2007 is recognizing the email addresses. Using Outlook 2
Y Capturing Email Addresses in Auto Address Book Using Outlook 1
T How do I set up a new contact folder to save email addresses for distribution list? Using Outlook 2
B How to remove underline from email addresses in outlook 2007 and Autotext also missing Using Outlook 2
M More email addresses in contacts Using Outlook 1
M I have 150 emails in one email folder folder that I need to send a uniform reply to .These addresses are not in my contacts Using Outlook 1
G Multiple email addresses (Outlook 2002). All emails (both addresses) go into the one inbox. How do i Using Outlook 3
L Blind email addresses show up when a message is forwarded Using Outlook 1
J Outlook Auto Suggest Email Addresses Using Outlook 2
I Outlook 2002 - Out of memory & system resources. Also not recognising typed in email addresses. Using Outlook 3
K Email sends with no error, but no action on the SMTP server done, only authentization - for some of the outgoing addresses. Using Outlook 1
M Need to take names and email addresses from excel 2003 and put into outlook to email. Using Outlook 4
T Loss of email addresses and all emails rec'd and sent for months. Using Outlook 2
G Old email addresses in global address list Using Outlook 4
G Deleting bounced back bad destination email addresses from Outlook's Contact Using Outlook 1
J How to switch between two email addresses when sending emails? Using Outlook 3
J Text of email is only email addresses Using Outlook 2
J Automcomplete email Addresses Using Outlook 1
J email addresses last name first from contacts shows first name first in email Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 - corrupting email addresses from websites or other programs Using Outlook 3