Outlook 2007 and 2010 - hangs at "Loading Profile" on startup

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jeremy Lowery

I've read all the various post concerning similar issues and have found no answers that have helped me. However, my situation is slightly different than all the others so here's to maybe providing some clues which ultimately solve this for all of us.

My situation. I am a Solution Architect with 13 years in the field. I am experienced as an Exchange administrator, Systems Engineer, Network Engineer, and Security Architect in addition to being a MS Certified developer (weird profile, I admit). The point is... I'm not a complete idiot at this stuff. Well, not usually at least.

A month or two ago I was working out of state on a project and was under a deadline when I began to have strange errors in Visual Studio. After doing some web searching on my symptoms late one night, I desperately tried a " Registry Fixer" type utility that seemed to have helped some others. It was around three in the morning and I was so under the gun that, here's my moment of genuine stupidity, I backed NOTHING up before running this registry " cleaner" . Then my Outlook trouble began.

I had Office 2007 Pro installed at the time. All continued to work just fine except Outlook, which began taking over three minutes to initially load. After loading, it behaved normally. Send/Receive, new messages, etc. all happened acceptably fast. I tried creating a new profile. Didn't work. I created a new Windows user...same symptom. I scoured the event log, nothing. I deleted my dat files and reinstalled Office 2007. All to no avail.My company had a copy of Office 2010 available for me so I decided I would just punt and upgrade to alleviate myself of these issues. After a clean install of 2K10 for the very first time, the EXACT same symptoms exist. All Office 2010 products open and function correctly EXCEPT Outlook, which still takes roughly 3.5 minutes to start. When I click the app shortcut, the splash screen quickly loads and the status text changes from " Starting" to " Loading Profile" almost immediately. After the now requisite 3-4 minutes, " Loading Profile" quickly scrolls upward and out-of-sight just as the splash screen disappears and the Outlook window opens. I've also tried deleting the profiles under Windows Messaging Subsystem in the registry, starting in safe mode, and disabling all Add-Ins. Nada.

My best and only guess at this point is that the " registry cleaner" that I used deleted some registry keys that Outlook needs but aren't part of the Office installation itself and, when trying to load, it searches and searches for them. It doesn't seem to be profile related, Windows user related, or data file related.

As a bonus for me, I can't reinstall Windows and start over because I have a critical business app suite installed which I lost the media for and don't have the several thousand dollars extra right now to replace. FUN TIMES!

Anyone (Uh-hem...Microsoft) able to offer me some help or new ideas?

Vista Enterprise SP2, Office 2010

Jeremy Lowery

R

Roady [MVP]

Can you repro this issue in Outlook Safe Mode?

Start-> Run; outlook.exe /safe

(note the space in the command)

If it works now, your issue is most likely caused by an add-in.

Which add-ins do you have installed?

Disable them all and see if the issue still occurs. If not, you can enable them one-by-one to find the culprit. For details see;

http://www.msoutlook.info/question/88

Robert Sparnaaij

J

Jeremy Lowery

Thanks Roady,

However, Outlook still hangs when I try to start it in safe mode. I've disabled all add-ins already and the issue remains.

Plus, notice above that the symptom remained after a clean install of Office 2010.

On a side note, I like to inform any Moderators who might come along and decide to mark answers for me that I don't appreciate them doing so. It has the undesirable effect of keeping others who might have a different solution from responding because they think, obviously, there isn't a need to throw their two cents in. Until this matter is solved, I really need and welcome all the " two cents" I can get. I have been under a deadline with a project and haven't been able to get back to this until this weekend. I understand if a month goes by and MS desperately wants to make sure everyone gets their brownie points, but posters should have more than ten days. For the record, I don't leave my issues unanswered. It's a personal standard.

Thanks in advance.

Jeremy Lowery

S

Spheniscidae

I am having the same problem.

Hangs in both Regular and Safe Mode. I have disabled all Add-Ins -- actually it never gets that far, as it hangs on LOADING PROFILE.

If I do a clean install, it will Open until I shutdown the computer (it is a laptop).

I am running Windows 7 Ultimate.

T

TechHam

Spheniscidae

I have he same issue and setup as you do. Would love to find an answer. I too am leaning towards a registry issue. I was trying to fix an Adobe PDF/Default mail issue when I made some registry changes. Something I stumbled across today is the MS Office Outlook Connector as a possible cause. I will give it a try and report back.

J

Jeremy Lowery

Thanks Guruprasad for the reply. I actually tried that before ever posting. Not only did I try a new outlook profile, but I went so far as to create a whole new Windows user with default settings across the board. No success...

Jeremy Lowery *** MODERATORS: PLEASE DON'T MARK MY ANSWERS FOR ME! I AM A RESPONSIBLE MEMBER OF THE MS DEVELOPER COMMUNITY AND ALWAYS GIVE OTHERS CREDIT WHEN IT'S DUE. THANKS. ***

J

Jeremy Lowery

Still having this issue and haven't found any answers. I've scoured event logs and Googled .dll's, Event ID's, and ran Perf Traces...nothing yields the slightest help. It's a total mystery so far...

Jeremy Lowery *** MODERATORS: PLEASE DON'T MARK MY ANSWERS FOR ME! I AM A RESPONSIBLE MEMBER OF THE MS DEVELOPER COMMUNITY AND ALWAYS GIVE OTHERS CREDIT WHEN IT'S DUE. THANKS. ***

R

red_dawn

I believe I have found the answer,

I believe the problem lies in the process of the apple itunes to outlook sync connector.

if you close it in taskmanager it will start again.

I dont know it you also run itunes, but closing the apple sync manager worked for me.

I think MS outlook 2010 cannot be synced with more than 1 program/application/website

hope this helps you too

PS. process name is: com.apple.Outlook.client.exe

C

Christian Schömmer

Hi,

I have the same issue and I don't have iTunes installed.

But I have changed the location of my OST file to another drive and pointed outlook to it. (it is reasonably fast, since it is also an internal drive).

I would also be very interested in resolving this issue.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Hi,

I have the same issue and I don't have iTunes installed.

But I have changed the location of my OST file to another drive and pointed outlook to it. (it is reasonably fast, since it is also an internal drive).

I would also be very interested in resolving this issue.

What process did you use to move it? Did you try changing the path and letting outlook create the ost? (Outlook 2010 seems to be goofy when moving files.)

T

TechHam

I know you said you couldn't rebuild but that is what I ended up doing and life is harmonious again.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
R Outlook 2007 or 2010 - Lock Down Functionality Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
P How to switch back from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 2007? Using Outlook 3
E Upgrade Issues - Office/Outlook 2007 to 2010 Using Outlook 0
Z Copy Outlook 2007 "AutoComplete Contacts” to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
M Messages Held in Outbox 2007 Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2007/2010 - First time iCloud setup and config for heavy Outlook user Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2007 vs Outlook 2010 on Windows 8 Using Outlook 18
G Outlook 2007 in Outlook 2010 asks for password Using Outlook 2
M Updating VBA code from outlook 2007 to outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
T Syncing OWA 2010 to Outlook 2007 Exchange Server Administration 15
M Searching Outllook 2010 shared contacts from Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
D Calendar Permissions Outlook 2003, 2007 and 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
T BCM 2007 to Outlook 2010 with no BCM - need contacts imported BCM (Business Contact Manager) 3
V Trouble Running Outlook 2007 and 2010 Using Outlook 4
H Conflicts with other event in calendar ( outlook 2007 & 2010) Using Outlook 0
S Missing Color Categories Outlook 2007/2010 Using Outlook 2
J Move PST /changing default location in Outlook 2007 or 2010 64b on W7 64bit Using Outlook 2
I Send Secure Email Through Microsoft Outlook 2007 and 2010 (32 bit) Using Outlook 0
I Send Secure Email Through Microsoft Outlook 2007 and 2010 (32 bit) Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 2007/2010 not downloading the OAB Exchange Server Administration 0
D Outlook 2007 & 2010 calendar permissions Using Outlook 2
S Calendar sharing problmes between Outlook 2007 & 2010 Exchange Server Administration 0
J Outlook 2007 and 2010 for multiple calendar users Using Outlook 1
D Inviting attendees Outlook 2010 and Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 5
D Outlook 2007 December 14 2010 (KB 2412171) Update Fix Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2010 Journal does not record activities on Office 2007 files Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2007 Slow Since Office 2010 Installed Using Outlook 1
P I have Outlook 2007 on a two year old computer running Vista. How do I copy my Outlook Contacts list and move them over to Outlook 2010 on a brand new Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2007 New email notification works intermittently after adding Exchange 2010 Servers Exchange Server Administration 1
M Outlook 2010-Sync with Exchange server 2007 Using Outlook 2
W Unable to sync Outlook contacts and calendar since upgrading from Outlook 2007 to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
J Suggested times does not work with Outlook 2010 in combination with Exchange 2007 SP2? Using Outlook 2
N Exchange 2007 SP1 + Outlook 2007/2010 - Autodiscover for Outlook Anywhere and Out of Office not working Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010 Connectivity with Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 5
J After Window update of 12/15/2010, outlook 2007 gives error (0x800CCC18) when accessing gmail using Using Outlook 6
T SharePoint 2007 MySites and Outlook 2010 Social Connector Using Outlook 1
K Outlook PST file created in 2010 can be used in 2007? Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2010 Connectivity with exchange server 2007 Using Outlook 1
A cannot connect outlook 2007 clients to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
S Re: Outlook 2010 crashes when upgraded from Office 2007 Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2010 crashes when upgraded from Office 2007 Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2010 Trial Is Up and Now 2007 Address Books Aren't Connecting to Contacts Using Outlook 24
G Share calendar between two Outlook 2010 OR 2007 without exchange where both users can make appointme Using Outlook 1
B Blank email list views on Outlook 2010 / 2007 with Exchange 2010 SP1 (on Citrix and Desktops) Using Outlook 7
T How Outlook 2007/2010 choose which Exchange Web Service to use? Using Outlook 1
G Subscribing to Shared Outlook Calendar 2007 / 2010 from invitation leads to user name and password request. Using Outlook 2
G Subscribing to Shared Outlook Calendar 2007 / 2010 from invitation leads to user name and password request. Using Outlook 2
T Re: Outlook Anywhere in Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 3
T Outlook Anywhere in Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2007 Using Outlook 1