Outlook 2007 won't let me save new contacts in my address book because I don't have a PAB set up and

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

CindyEdge

Hi - Years ago I used to use a PAB but have been using contacts. I recently upgraded to Win7 from Vista. When importing my Outlook PST files, the contacts in the contacts file won't show in my address book. The box to allow contacts to be used for your address book is greyed out so I can't check it. I cannot add new contacts - get an error message that I need to have a PAB to add new contacts, but of course I can't do that with Outlook 2007. I have uninstalled and re-installed Office, I have set up new profiles (following the instructions on this site), I have run the scnpst.exe, and I can't remember what else. I can't seem to get Outlook to let me check that box and for some reason it is looking for a PAB file. Please help!

Cindy

R

Russ Valentine

Outlook does not use a PAB and hasn't for years. Importing is never the correct way to transfer Outlook data. Creating a new profile will only help if you migrate your data to the new profile correctly. Try doing so. Take a look at these pages for info on Outlook data transfer:

Moving Outlook to a New Computer

http://www.howto-outlook.com/Howto/backupandrestore.htm

http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/assistance/HA010771141033.aspx

Note that some of the information on the Microsoft page is outdated and contains errors, particularly when applied to Outlook 2003, 2007 or 2010. Specifically:

1. Ignore any advice to copy your PST file to Outlook's default location to connect it to your profile. Doing so will often corrupt your Outlook profile. Copy it anywhere BUT the default location and then open it within your Outlook profile.

2. Ignore any advice that tells you to use export or import to transfer an entire Outlook data file. That has never been sound advice, but the process has become too deeply flawed to be trusted.

Russ Valentine

C

CindyE

Hi Russ,

Thanks for your reply. This is pretty much what I have been doing - and this didn't work. But then I deleted my Outlook Profile (called Outlook) and created a new one called Outlook Test. Then I set up my e-mail account in the new profile and linked the PST files and was good to go. I should let you know - I didn't really import the data but used the Windows File Transfer. This sure was a mess; I hope Microsoft makes this easier.

Cindy

R

Russ Valentine

Windows Easy Transfer was the problem. I agree with you. If they can't fix it, Microsoft whould at least warn users that Windows Easy Transfer does not work woth Outlook and should not be used.

Russ Valentine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Outlook 2007 won't connect Using Outlook 6
M Outlook 2007 won't respond? Using Outlook 3
B outlook 2007 won't play video attachments Using Outlook 3
W Outlook exp. 2007 problems - won't receive new mail Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2007 won't show appointments/meetings in calendar on actual date, only on date appt/mtg made Using Outlook 1
E Outlook 2007 won't connect to 2nd Mailbox Server in a DAG Exchange Server Administration 2
C Outlook 2007 won't send/revieve posts until some mail is archived Using Outlook 1
R Microsoft Outlook 2007: Won't Connect to Comcast Email. Using Outlook 4
M Outlook 2007 - Contact detail won't open Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2007 signature font won't stay as I set it Using Outlook 1
P Outlook 2007 won't send email with attachments Using Outlook 2
F Outlook 2007 won't hold password Using Outlook 1
T microsoft outlook 2007 won't start. Been using it fine for months. What's up Using Outlook 1
P 1. Outlook 2007 won't send messages.__ Also:__2. I can't attach a 2nd email address to Outlook 2007. Using Outlook 1
K Outlook 2007 When I attempt to open a new email, it won't open and says 'not responding' Using Outlook 5
H Outlook 2007 won't send outgoing emails Using Outlook 4
T Outlook 2007: outgoing email with addresses taken from address book won't send Using Outlook 9
B Outlook 2007 won't connect to Exchange on the first launch Using Outlook 1
C Outlook 2007 Business Contacts Manager won't install (and I can't get help from Microsoft) Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2007 won't send message with email address that is not in my address book. Using Outlook 2
L Outlook 2007 won't open unless i restart my computer. Using Outlook 1
S outlook 2007 installed. office 2010 student just installed. outlook now won't function Using Outlook 1
H Outlook 2007 was working fine and now won't open. Using Outlook 2
S Re: Outlook 2007 won't re-open once closed Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2007 won't open without granting access to the program. Using Outlook 5
K word 2007 attachment won't open on windows 7 machine using Outlook Web Access v2003 Using Outlook 1
S Verwendung von Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
A Arthur needs help with 2007 Outlook e-mail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
S outlook 2007 calendar search Using Outlook 6
B Migrate Outlook 2007 to Office 365 Using Outlook 3
X I have met my waterloo trying to resolve embedded graphics problem with outlook 2007 and now 2016 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 only loads some appointments Using Outlook 0
C Move Outlook 2007 to new PC with Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2007 Hide Messages Option not Available Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
B Server errors Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
S Reboot of frozen windows7 results in changed outlook 2007 settings Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007 printing wrong email address at top of page Using Outlook 8
M Configure outlook 2007 to accept digital signatures Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2007 crashes when opening an email Using Outlook 2
R New chap saying hello and needing advice on Outlook 2007 thumbnails Using Outlook 3
icacream From Outlook 2007 to 2016 ! Using Outlook 9
vodkasoda Object could not be found Error in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Outlook 2007: Address Cards allow entering text! Why? Using Outlook 3
S View Appointment in Text Wrap in Outlook 2007 Month Calendar View Using Outlook 0
L Outlook 2007 Separate the Send/Receive functions Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2007 Contacts Glitch: Creating a new email Using Outlook 1
C Move from Outlook 2007 Enterprise (MOE) to Outlook Pro plus 2007 Using Outlook 1