Outlook 2007 Menu Bar "View" One Folder has Drop Down Box with "Arrange By", One Does Not

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Curmudgeon10

I have two folders in Contacts. When accessing the menu bar for one (" A" ), selecting " View" , you get a drop down box headed by " Arrange By," underneath that is Current View, which when selected gives you all the standard views to pick from (business cards, address cards, detailed address cards, etc.). Folder B's drop down menu for " View" starts with Current View, and there are only two choices for Current View, Customize Current View and Define Views.

In the case of Folder B, how do I regain the menu choices I currently have with Folder A? Thanks.

R

Russ Valentine

Expalin why you have two Contacts Folders and how you created the second.Russ Valentine

C

Curmudgeon10

My original post should have said " I have two folders in MY contacts." I use the original " Contacts" folder for business and vendors contacts; I created a separate folder (using File/New/Folder command) for family and friends. Just up until yesterday, both would respond to the different View commands, but then on the " Contacts" folder, I lost that ability. I'm stuck with custom views only.

R

Roady [MVP]

Which view is currently selected? Phone List, Business Cards, other...?

Have you tried resetting the view of that folder already?

View-> Current View-> Customize Current View...-> Reset Current View

Which views are listed under Define Views?

If everything fails, then you can still reset all your views back to default by starting Outlook with the /cleanviews switch;

Start-> type; outlook.exe /cleanviews

(note the space in the command above)

Robert Sparnaaij

C

Curmudgeon10

By resetting the view of the " Contacts" folder located in My Contacts, I regained the expanded drop down box under View, the one that begins with " Arrange by." I can now manipulate the data/views through the Current View function (Define Views, Customize, etc.) I'm 90% there. Thanks.

The only functionality lacking in " Contacts" that I have in " Family and Friends" is the menu of view choices on the left hand side of my window, Under " My Contacts" Current View: Here are all the standard views, which you can select with a pushbutton. At the bottom of this list is a line, and underneath the line is " Add New Group" and " Customize Current View." The latter is also present in the " Contacts" folder, but nothing --- no pushbuttons --- are available under Current View. How do I regain that functionality? Thanks.

R

Roady [MVP]

The only functionality lacking in " Contacts" that I have in " Family and Friends" is the menu of view choices on the left hand side of my window, Under " My Contacts" Current View: Here are all the standard views, which you can select with a pushbutton. At the bottom of this list is a line, and underneath the line is " Add New Group" and " Customize Current View." The latter is also present in the " Contacts" folder, but nothing --- no pushbuttons --- are available under Current View. How do I regain that functionality? Thanks.

Do you see these views when going to;

View-> Current View-> Define Views...?

If you do not see any other views there either, then you'll need to start Outlook with the /cleanviews switch as instructed above.

Robert Sparnaaij

C

Curmudgeon10

Too bad there is not a way to attach or paste an image. Then you could see what I am talking about. First, I had already restarted Outlook with the /cleanviews switch. And no, the views listed in " Current View" with pushbutton selection (" Family and Friends" folder) are NOT listed when accessing View/Current View in " Contacts" folder. View/Current View in that folder yields only three choices: Customize, Define, and Format. In the other folder (" Family and Friends" ) I not only have the standard views availalbe via pushbutton on the left, I also have them listed as choices from the meu bar View/Current View. Now what?

R

Roady [MVP]

Let's try a simpeler solution here which might be just as effective;

As this is for an additional Contact folder and not the default folder, create a new Contacts folder; do the default views show up now?

If so, copy over your contacts to the newly created folder and when everything is OK now, delete the old folder.

If you want to upload a screenshot, you could publish it to a webspace provided by your ISP or to a free picture sharing service suchFlickr or Live Photos.

Robert Sparnaaij

C

Curmudgeon10

I'll do that --- but the problem manifests itself in the Contacts folder itself, not the addiitional one I created. Am I just worried about something that is normal?

C

Curmudgeon10

I hadn't but I just did. I scanned Outlook.pst with the application and it returned with a message that I had errors in the file, and that it repaired the errors (after I clicked " repair." ) But nothing changed in my views when I opened Outlook. Out of curiosity, I closed Outlook and ran the scan tool again. I go the same message ---- that I had errors --- and it again reported that it had corrected the errors. Again no change in Outlook. I get the impression I could go through this cycle forever and nothing would change...

R

Roady [MVP]

Sounds like that indeed. In that case I would suggest you start with a new pst-file, copy over your exisitng items to the newly created pst-file and then just drop the current pst-file that continues to give you errors.

The entire process is described in more detail here;

Scanpst.exe keeps finding issues

Robert Sparnaaij

C

Curmudgeon10

The procedure at the link discusses creating a new Outlook data file, which I did, just leaving the default name --- Personal Folders (1).pst. This resides in the same folder as the original Outlook.pst and Outlook.ost files.

Opening Outlook, I found a new set of " personal folders" shown in the Nav Pane. I copied everything from the original " Personal Folders" listed in the top of the Nav Pane to the new ones at the bottom, used data file management to change the default data file to the new one (Personal Folders (1).pst, changed the name of the original Outlook.pst to Outlookold.pst and then restarted Outlook.

Everything looks exactly like it did before I went through this process. The Contacts folder accesses different views only through the menu bar (" View" ), while the " Family and Friends" folder accesses views not only through the menu bar, but also through some push button selections in the nav pane.

What is the difference between a file named Outlook.pst, and one named " Personal Folders (1).pst? I am running Outlook now using Personal Folders (1).pst. Is there any impact on just changing its name to Outlook.pst?

On the issue of the difference between the choices presented in " Contacts" and " Family and Friends," (menu bar vs. menu bar and pushbuttons,) I am letting you off the hook because I am giving up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Cannot open Options Menu Outlook 2007 and Cannot create a new profile Using Outlook 0
D Archiving in Outlook 2007 - Archiving tab has completely disappeared in File menu. How do I get it back. Using Outlook 2
R Outlook 2007 Archive option not available in File menu Using Outlook 2
P Archiving function and menu item disappeared in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
S File->Archive menu option has disappeared in Outlook 2007, and AutoArchive settings are also no long Using Outlook 9
R Cannot select items from Outlook 2007 Menu bars Using Outlook 1
L No Options Selection in File Menu in Outlook Mail 2007 Using Outlook 1
W Windows 7 + Outlook 2007 - right click context menu not working Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2007, "View Attachments" choice on context menu is randomly available. How do I make it alw Using Outlook 8
W Cannot launch Outlook 2007 properly; once launched, the menu items do not work properly. Using Outlook 1
S Ad Context Menu in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Verwendung von Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 0
A Arthur needs help with 2007 Outlook e-mail Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
S outlook 2007 calendar search Using Outlook 6
B Migrate Outlook 2007 to Office 365 Using Outlook 3
X I have met my waterloo trying to resolve embedded graphics problem with outlook 2007 and now 2016 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 only loads some appointments Using Outlook 0
C Move Outlook 2007 to new PC with Outlook 365 Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2007 Hide Messages Option not Available Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007 Calendar instant search problem. Windows 7 Using Outlook 0
B Server errors Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
S Reboot of frozen windows7 results in changed outlook 2007 settings Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2007 printing wrong email address at top of page Using Outlook 8
M Configure outlook 2007 to accept digital signatures Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2007 crashes when opening an email Using Outlook 2
R New chap saying hello and needing advice on Outlook 2007 thumbnails Using Outlook 3
icacream From Outlook 2007 to 2016 ! Using Outlook 9
vodkasoda Object could not be found Error in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Outlook 2007: Address Cards allow entering text! Why? Using Outlook 3
S View Appointment in Text Wrap in Outlook 2007 Month Calendar View Using Outlook 0
L Outlook 2007 Separate the Send/Receive functions Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2007 Contacts Glitch: Creating a new email Using Outlook 1
C Move from Outlook 2007 Enterprise (MOE) to Outlook Pro plus 2007 Using Outlook 1
J reinstalling Outlook 2007 asking for user name & password Using Outlook 14
P outlook addin unloaded in office 2007 Using Outlook 0
B Fonts in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
R Add Exchange Account to existing POP3 Outlook 2007 Profile Using Outlook 0
C out of space in file group Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
A Moving archived contents in Outlook 2007 back into working folders Using Outlook 0
P Outlook 2007 Email Categorization using VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Unable to Configure Gmail Account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2007 or 2010 - Lock Down Functionality Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Outlook 2007, windows 10 Font size Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Manually create a POP3 account in Outlook 2007 New Slipstick.com Articles 0
J Can Click to Drag Custom Form Field But Cannot Drop When Designing in Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L Outlook 2007 Font Using Outlook 3
J Outlook 2007 connector and Windows 10 Using Outlook 3
R Outlook 2007 - Shared Accounts and Resources without Exchange Server Using Outlook 0