Do Outlook folders/emails still remain on the disk even if they've been deleted/sent to trash?

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Dan Calic

I have Win 7 64 bit OS and Outlook 2010.

When Outlook folders or emails get deleted/sent to trash are they totally gone or are they still lurking around somewhere on the computer? If they are still recoverable or able to be viewed by someone with that level of skill set, is there a way to prevent them from being recovered or viewed?

Second question: If I export my emails and folders are they gone from my computer?

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

When do Delete items, they go into the deleted items folder. Once you empty the deleted items folder, they are gone UNLESS you use Exchange server, then they going into the 'deleted items dumpster' for the period of time set by your administrator.

To permanently delete stuff, hold Shift as you delete. This bypasses the deleted items folder.

B

Brian Tillman

By following Diane's advice, you'd make it very difficult for someone to recover your deleted items, but with the proper forensic tools, they could still be recovered in part or in full. A complete full format (not a quick format) that writes every sector of a hard drive is the best way to ensure your data won't be available to someone who gets your computer, but there are forensic tools that may be able to recover data from remapped sectors. Another good way to protect your PC is with a tool like TrueCrypt. Someone stealing your hard drive would see only random bits if they were to read the hard drive.

In answer to your second question: exporting doesn't delete anything. It makes copies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
e_a_g_l_e_p_i How to set fonts for emails in all folders in Outlook Using Outlook 1
T Migrate POP3 Folders and Emails to outlook.com via Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
B OUTLOOK 2013: How Do I Move Emails to Folders stored on my Hard Drive? Using Outlook 3
D Outlook Archiving sent emails which have been moved to inbox folders Using Outlook 1
M HELP - Can't open outlook... How can I extract my Emails that I had in folders Using Outlook 3
D Deleting Outlook folders/emails, etc? Using Outlook 2
T Outlook 2007 not recieving all emails from all folders Using Outlook 4
B Importing emails and email folders Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 2
C Error Message: cannot open your default emails folders. outlook cannot start because a data file to Using Outlook 2
I Set up specific font in outlook applicable to all folders and emails Using Outlook 2
J Recent emails disappear when I change folders in Outlook. They reappear when I close and re-open Out Using Outlook 6
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 1
jChambler iCloud folders in Outlook are not the same as on iCloud Using Outlook 6
David Langer Outlook 2016 (365) How to restore the ability to Re-Map iCloud IMAP Folders Using Outlook 5
B Reorder folders in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Copy Outlook Public Folders to a File Server Shared Folder Using Outlook 0
T Some of my folders in outlook.com appear to have vanished, thanks to v1803 Using Outlook 11
Cdub27 Move Outlook 2016 Contacts to Other Folders - Extremely Slow !! Using Outlook 6
R Folders shifting around in Outlook 2013 and 2016 Using Outlook 3
J Outlook - 2013 - Error msg when copying folders from Online Archives to another user's mailbox Using Outlook 0
O Contacts folders, outlook 2016 Calendar Printing Assistant 0
C Outlook 2016: Searching in all (+public) folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
A Moving archived contents in Outlook 2007 back into working folders Using Outlook 0
S Automatically selecting folders and deleting messages in Outlook VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
Diane Poremsky Print a list of your Outlook folders New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Working with VBA and non-default Outlook Folders New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Liz Schneider PST from Outlook 2013 is now IMAP folders in 2016 Using Outlook 10
Diane Poremsky Repair a Large Outlook Personal Folders File (over 2GB) New Slipstick.com Articles 0
R Outlook 2016 not syncing all folders Using Outlook 1
B IMAP folders don't update when Outlook 365 opens Using Outlook 0
A Folders in Outlook and Folders on iPhone 6 Using Outlook 4
K Display sub-folders in body of outlook Using Outlook 1
O Missing guide "Move an Outlook Personal Folders .pst File" New Slipstick.com Articles 4
B Syncing Office 365 folders to match Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 3
Diane Poremsky How to repair a damaged Outlook Personal Folders file (pst) New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Move Messages from File System into Outlook Folders New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Stuart Buchman Outlook 2013 Office Outlook 2013 NOT downloading all mail, folders, etc from outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 9
V how get default folders at the outlook 2007? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Easy way to re-import Gmail folders/labels into Outlook? Using Outlook 9
M Outlook mail to agile from specific folders as the mail is received Using Outlook 3
D How to force full message download for all Gmail messages in all folders with IMAP in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
J Dynamic date range for Outlook Search folders Using Outlook 2
S Outlook 2010 32-bit Shared folders Using Outlook 1
Commodore Weirdness with iCloud IMAP folders in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 4
C Outlook on Mac & PC Folders not showing up Using Outlook 1
S Moving folders from outlook 2010 to a new computer with outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
T outlook 2010 email folders Using Outlook 5
J Outlook Cannot Move Msgs to Folders (GMAIL IMAP) Using Outlook 1
D folders are missing using imap outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
K EAS and POP folders in Outlook 2013 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4