Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

Neil T Holland

Hi; This is the 5th time I've posted this. Immediately below are my responses to suggestions received to my previous posts. The description of the problem itself begins a few paragraphs down and is indicated.

We tried running Outlook in Safe Mode (hold down CTRL when starting Outlook) but at least one corrupted email was still received.

Rich Text format does not prevent corruption of email received by either internal or external recipients.

POP3 for incoming, SMTP for outgoing. Incoming provider uses a Baracuda for AV/Anti-Spam. Not sure what the outgoing provider uses for AV/Anti-Spam, if any.

Prevous replies have suggested the AV is causing it. However this does not seem to be the cause because: 1. We use MSE and I've been assured by the MSE team that MSE does not touch the incoming/outgoing email itself (only the attachments), and 2. We tried deactivating the AV software and the problem still occured. The MSE team had numerious other suggestions -- ex. deactivate Windows Defender -- which we tried but they did not help.

DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM: We have about 20 Office 2010 installs, 20 to go. Emails received from 6 (so far) of those are occasionally (25% of the time?) received with portions of the body text corrupted. Sections of the text will be replaced with 'random' characters that have have look of HTML code.

Here's an example from the body of a received email:
" < p class= right now he probably won't be able..."

The original words preceding " right now" were replaced with " < p class =" . Sometimes the replacement text seems like random characters.

The email that is received corrupted appears as un-corrupted in the sender's SENT box. We have numerous email clients doing the receiving -- ie. not just Outlook 2010 -- so I've ruled out it being a problem at the receiving end.

We run MS Security Essentials for AV on all desktops.

We've discovered that if we change the Compose message format from HTML to Rich Text it seems to reduce the nbr of incidents, but it does not solve the problem completely. I have also tried doing an uninstall/re-install, but it did not help.

Internal and external recipients both seem as likely to receive a corrupted email regardless of the format.

Please note that we are putting further installs on hold until we can get a fix, as this is a serious problem made even more so by the unpredicatability of it and the lack of direct feedback when an error takes place. Also please note that recently I noticed another user in the threads reporting the exact same problem.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Have you tested that SMTP server with a different mail client - like Windows Live Mail - to confirm that it's not an issue with your SMTP server?

N

Neil T Holland

We've been using various clients up to now, including Outlook 2003 and 2007, and never had these problems.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

What kind of SMTP server is it? Is it on your LAN or is on across a WAN? You might also try increasing the server timeout values in Outlook for the SMTP server.

N

Neil T Holland

What do you mean by " What kind of SMTP server is it?" ? If you can please clarify that further before I call our ISP to ask them.

Everyone is on the LAN.

I'll increase the server timeout value, but can't see how that setting could contribute to corruption of the email body (besides that it never happens to the attachment or the header).

Thank you for the suggestions.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

I mean is it a Sendmail server? Is it iMail? Is it Postcast...something else?

I'm guessing, from your response, that the SMTP server isn't on the LAN - i.e. you connect to it across the Internet. It seems likely to me, since the Sent Item looks correct, that the corruption is occuring somewhere in the transfer.

If you send a message to yourself do you still see the corruption in the received message?

Do you have webmail with this ISP? If you log into the webmail can you look at your Sent Items there? Do they look corrupt in the web-based sent mail?

Have you tried testing with a different SMTP server? For example get a free GMail account for testing purposes, use Outlook to send some test messages through that and see if the corruption occurs?

N

Neil T Holland

You are correct, the ISP provides the SMTP server. They are calling me back with what kind. I've also opened a ticket with them on this problem, fingers crossed.

It does seem likely that it's happening between the client and the SMTP server, since the corrutpion does not appear in the sender's SENT box, only at the recipient's end.

Given that it happens to a minority of the email sent from these 6 users (that we've noticed do far) it's hard monitor and troubleshoot. The PC that seems to be the worst is BCC'ing me on all her outgoing and basically that's how I've been monitoring the situation. But she doesn't always remember to do it so it's hardly ideal. We do have webmail (Horde) and I've noticed corrupted emails received there, but it's not hosted by our ISP. The ISP does not offer webmail.

" If you send a message to yourself do you still see the corruption in the received message?" Isn't this is equivalent to a user BCC'ing me (see above)?

The Gmail server is a good idea and I'm going to give it a try, but given the random nature of this problem a negative result will not be conclusive :(

Thanks again for the suggestions.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

It's definitely an odd problem and hard to diagnose since it's intermittent. By having them send to themselves I was curious to see if the corruption would appear on a message sent and received in the same client. Yeah, it's a longshot and I suspect the answer would be " Yes" .

With the webmail question I was curious to see if there was a Sent Items folder on the server that would let you see how the message looked when the SMTP server passed it along - i.e. if it shows corrupted in the Sent Items on the server then we know the corruption occurred somewhere in between.

Also, have you run any connectivity tests to the SMTP server? Checked for network latency or dropped packets?

Let me know how the GMail experiment goes.

N

Neil T Holland

The ISP says their SMTP server is a 'Sun Java' (Sunjava?).

They also mentioned that they use Outlook 2010 and haven't noticed the the problem, howver they use Exchange internally. There have been no reports from other customers of this problem.

Does any of this help?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

JavaMail. O.K.

At this point I think I'd try the GMail and I'd also run some connectivity tests to the SMTP server. It may be that you're dropping some packets or having high latency that is causing intermittent corruption. Though I can't think of a reason why, off-hand, it may be that Outlook 2010 is less tolerant of network issues like that.

B

Bill the Outlook Guy

You might want to test with a third-party SMTP server to see if that resolves the problem. The service listed on the page below is offering a free trial account, so you can give it a go without even entering a credit card. If tests using the alternate SMTP server don't show problems, you will at least have narrowed down the potential problem area.

--Bill

http://www.living-with-outlook.com/smtp-relay.html

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Thanks Bill- though that's exactly what we suggested 4 days ago. :)

B

Bill the Outlook Guy

Ok, I guess I am confused. I thought you were advising him to send using a Gmail account connected to Outlook. That requires numerous changes beyond just the SMTP server. What I am suggesting is to leave everything the same in Outlook, except change the SMTP server address to that of the SMTP2Go server. That way, only the SMTP server changes, and all other settings remain the same.

Or am I completely lost?

--Bill

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Well, sort of. He could just send thru the GMail server but leave the POP set to his own server (since we're just testing). Your suggestion is another way to test it, I'm just teasing you because it's not really that much different from where we already were. :)

Hoping to hear back from Neil if my suggestion (or yours) got him any closer to a solution.

N

Neil T Holland

Thank you both for your suggestions, Bill and Ben. I've been away from the office but will give the alternative SMTP server a try tomorrow. The other suggestions regarding connection latency and such are possible but frankly given the nature of the corruption don't seem likely. Here's one from an email I received today:

---------Gratitude for a job well done!

class=MsoNormal>Colleen Madsen

--Somehow the formatting engine is messing up, don't you agree? If there was a problem with the connection the corruption would be random characters, not what appears to be part of a HTML tag. Not to mention that not once has Outlook 2007 or any other mail client had the same problem.

Anyhow I'll try to get the smtp-relay suggested by Bill working. I've never had any luck using other services for ourgoing -- gmail for example -- but I'll give the instructions in the link a try **fingers crossed**. Thanks again, Neil.

H

HoundBoy

Hello everyone - I have exactly the same problem as described above, with seemingly random characters dropping from the body of emails.

Oddly, my in my last test, I got exactly the same glitch as in the preceding message example, e.g.

& Assoc p class=MsoNormal>Http://www.nottherealdomain.com

which should be:

& Associates

http://www.nottherealdomain.com

In summary, so far, I have:

- tweaked the Server timeout to 2 minutes (no effect)

- changed SMTP servers (SMTP2Go didn't manage to reliably route mail, so I used the provider my own domain is hosted with, with alternate PORT, etc.); and this also didn't correct the corruption problem.

- turned off HTML formatting, and I haven't yet broken anything using RTF - but this isn't a very satisfactory solution for my client and it sounds like it's not 100%.

Messages are corrupted within the body, or the end of the message, as in the last 2 lines of the signature are missing.

I'm 3/4 of the way through an office-wide update from MSO2003 to 2010; and I have another two offices waiting for the same and I can't go forward until this gets resolved. My thanks to everyone contributing to this thread - consoling to know I'm not the only one dealing with this.

B

BurnettX

Hello Everyone,

I'm experiencing exactly the same issues. I'm on Outlook 2010 and sending mail via Exchange Server 2003.

An example:

The text should be:

Was: xx.xx.xx.xx. Has to be: xx.xx.xx.xx t/m xx.xx.xx.xx

The text appeared at the recipients adress as:

Was: xx.xx.xx. s=MsoNormal>Has to be: xx.xx.xx.xx t/m xx.xx.xx.xx

other example:

Uiteraard is gepaste spoed vereist:

Aantal

< 10.0pt;font-family:" Arial" ," sans-serif" ;mso-fareast-language:NL'>Partnumber

Product Omschrijving

Weird.... This is definately a showstopper in implementing Office 2010 throughout the organisation.

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Hello Everyone,

I'm experiencing exactly the same issues. I'm on Outlook 2010 and sending mail via Exchange Server 2003.

An example:

The text should be:

Was: xx.xx.xx.xx. Has to be: xx.xx.xx.xx t/m xx.xx.xx.xx

The text appeared at the recipients adress as:

Was: xx.xx.xx. s=MsoNormal>Has to be: xx.xx.xx.xx t/m xx.xx.xx.xx

other example:

Uiteraard is gepaste spoed vereist:

Aantal

< 10.0pt;font-family:" Arial" ," sans-serif" ;mso-fareast-language:NL'>Partnumber

Product Omschrijving

Weird.... This is definately a showstopper in implementing Office 2010 throughout the organisation.

Does it look that way in the Sent Items folder too, or just to the recipient? Does it happen sending to other users on the same Exchange server?

B

Ben M. Schorr [MVP]

Do you see the corruption in the Sent Items folder too, or just on the recipient's end?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Outlook for Mac - emails are not sent out beginning last week Using Outlook 1
R Outlook for Mac - Advanced Search and Tracking Sent Emails Using Outlook 0
T Compacting Outlook 2010 OST results in old emails being re-sent Using Outlook 6
T Outlook 2010 sent emails vanish Using Outlook 7
S trouble with Outlook 2010 saving sent emails Using Outlook 2
M How do you keep sent emails in the PST folder in outlook 2013 Using Outlook 1
D Outlook Archiving sent emails which have been moved to inbox folders Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 Sent emails don't appear in the sent mail folder Using Outlook 9
N Configure Outlook 2010 to download sent emails Using Outlook 4
M Outlook doesn't save sent emails Using Outlook 1
D Do Outlook folders/emails still remain on the disk even if they've been deleted/sent to trash? Using Outlook 2
R Microsoft Outlook 2007 emails are sending but staying in Outbox &amp; send items are not in Sent box Using Outlook 2
G Add read receipt & opened links for sent emails - Outlook 2011 Using Outlook 2
L Outlook sent emails turn to dat file or winmail cannot be opened Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2007 - Reply emails sent from wrong account Using Outlook 1
S Outlook 2003 (when looking at emails shows my name and not who sent the emails) Using Outlook 2
W Emails sent from Outlook, not saved in webmail. Using Outlook 1
O Outlook 2010: Rule to move sent emails doesn't start if I Use "Send To" command on a file on desktop Using Outlook 3
N Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text Using Outlook 2
N Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text Using Outlook 2
M I can receive emails. I reply or create a new e-mail and outlook shows it was successfully sent to the recipient. HOwever, the recipient never receive Using Outlook 2
N Emails sent from Outlook 2010 are being received with some corruption of the body text Using Outlook 5
J wireless always allows me to send/receive emails via outlook 2007. recent move to university gives me internet access but no emails can be sent or rec Using Outlook 1
D First email in outbox not going through in Outlook 2007; additional emails do get sent Using Outlook 10
M Missing headers in sent emails when showing in groups in Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 2
K Sent emails that were bounced back are missing, no where in outlook. Using Outlook 2
M OWA emails sent in firefox not readable in outlook Using Outlook 2
A Outlook 2007 not showing hyperlinks (in automated emails sent in plain text.) Using Outlook 11
F OUTLOOK 2010 SAVING SENT EMAILS ON EXCHANGE SERVER Using Outlook 2
N Sent emails not reflected in all IMAP Folders Using Outlook 4
V Emails remain in Drafts folder even though they have been sent Using Outlook 4
V Emails going into Drafts instead of Sent folder Using Outlook 3
C Filter/Search emails sent to internal Exchange address only Using Outlook 2
S Emails Configured As HTML But Sent As Plain Text Using Outlook 13
M Emails being sent to Inbox and IPM_Subtree Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
D Emails do not appear in Sent box! Using Outlook 4
B Mass customized emails sent weekly Using Outlook 0
I Large emails not sent from correct account Using Outlook 0
R Track Sent Emails that have not been Responded Using Outlook 1
T Duplicate emails in different "sent" boxes. Using Outlook 2
K Clicking reply on sent emails TO field Using Outlook 2
S how to keep "To" when move sent emails to other folder Using Outlook 1
V Mark BCC when emails is sent from specific account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
R Move sent items emails to hard disk Using Outlook 10
L VBA Macro to flag sent emails Using Outlook 1
L Auto-set followup/reminder popup box for ALL sent emails. Using Outlook 0
Y Search/list all emails sent between 6pm to 12am in the past 30 days Using Outlook 3
A account hacked, need software to determine what emails have been sent Using Outlook 1
M Sorting "sent emails" is not logical. Is there a better way. Using Outlook 4
F Seeing the recipient in sent emails Using Outlook 1