Quickest way to populate email via IMAP up to a server.

Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kelemvor33

OK, I have Gmail and Outlook 2010 (Windows 7). All my data is in Outlook as I had been using POP acces to just download from Gmail and organize in Outlook itself.

I'm changing over to IMAP and need to get all the messages in Gmail to correspond to the right folders/labels as I have them in Outlook.

What I did is deleted everything from my Gmail box and then configured it for IMAP. I then brought in my old PST as a personal folder under my IMAP profile. I'm now dragging folders form the PSt up to the IMAP area so it can uplaod them back to GMail and put them in the appropriate folder/label.

Problem is this is taking hours even for folders with just a couple hundred emails.

I saw someone suggest to put Outlook into Offline mode, move the files, then go back online and just let it upload in the background? Would that help? Is there anything else I can try to get this initial load completed. It is working fine, it's just taking forever to get there.

Also on a side note, if I have two PCs with Outlook and have them both IMAP'd to the same gmail account, if I put something in a folder on one Outlook, will it then upload that to Gmail and then download it to the other Outlook program? I would think it would but just wanted to see before I wasted time setting it up.

Thanks.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange

It might be a little faster if you move the folder when outlook is offline but its going to be slow either way - outlook is not speedy when it comes to imap. The speed problem may be on gmail's end - they don't use folders and need to label all the messages with the folder's name.

Yes, with imap, messages will be identical on each computer and changes you make on one will sync to the imap server and the other computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
C Custom Outlook Form - Populate Information from Radio Button / Check Box Using Outlook 0
C Trying to populate an appointment ComboBox from Excel Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Populate Listbox from Txt File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
A Populate Textbox from Txt File Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Adding Macro to populate "to" "subject" "body" not deleting email string below. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
Diane Poremsky Outlook VBA: Use a Text File to Populate a ListBox New Slipstick.com Articles 0
T populate calendar with appointments and send reminders Using Outlook 1
A Populate Excel from Outlook Userform Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Live Meeting Location populate from body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
A How can I populate a dropdown list? BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
rohit I want to Populate Popup box while sending any email with attachment. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
rohit I want to Populate Popup box while sending any email with attachment Using Outlook 1
A Cannot populate IMAP folders Using Outlook 1
S Pre populate subject + body + attachment to already open email in outlook 2007 Using Outlook 2
S Populate textbox values from one form to another form. Using Outlook 0
B Auto Populate From Field Using Outlook 3
J calendar: populate multiple appointment subject fields at once Using Outlook 4
D Reply to a sender does not populate the To: Field Using Outlook 1
N Activities Tab does not populate with all linked activity Using Outlook 3
G Populate an Outlook 2007 template with spreadsheet data. Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Populate Form with appointments from Calendar Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J populate word template from Outlook custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Populate BCC field with all Contacts within a Contact Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
M Create new Contacts folder and populate it from Access Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Macro - Open new message, populate from and subject fields, and message text Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Macro: Create New Message and Auto populate To Field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S populate body with Word data Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
L how to populate multiple users contacts Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
A Populate task field based on value of other field Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 9
glnz O365 - How to combine the Inboxes for four email accounts into a single Inbox Using Outlook 7
glnz O365 - How to send from acct 2 but showing email name from acct 1 as From - alias? Using Outlook 1
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Move Email with Attachment to Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
E Asking user to select multiple options in a list in an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
K Use VBA to find Sender and Recipient from Microsfot 365 Journaled Email Items Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B Add ComboBox Value to Body of Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
F VBA code to dock Styles whenever I write or edit an email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Inbox shows old email Using Outlook 3
L Email with correct To address but displaying name of a related person Using Outlook 0
A Two Inboxes, Same Email? Using Outlook 3
B Adding signature to bottom of VBA reply email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J To delete the draft email Using Outlook 2
B VBScript doesn't run on Recipient Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Autoreply email recieved from specific sender after deleting some text from body. Using Outlook 0
M Outlook 2013 reminder email by using Outlook vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
D Sending email from Office 365 alias in Outlook Using Outlook 3
S Macro or plug-in to see if specific person was included in this email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
S Body text of Email from invite date/time Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
R Outlook 2010 How do you export 2 email Accounts' 2010 Inbox Files to new computer (2019)? Using Outlook 0