Outlook 2010 won't save passwords

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

AntonGemini

I'm running Windows XP SP3 with all the latest updates.

I had been using Windows Live Mail for my email client.

I finally gave in and got Microsoft Office Professional Plus 2010.

I installed all components.

Ran Outlook, imported all my email and accounts from Windows Live Mail.

Then came a bunch of windows updates/security related to the office software.

After those were installed, Outlook won't save any passwords.

I uninstalled Outlook and went back to Windows Live Mail.

Now IT won't save password either.

I tried all recommendations from all related KB articles I found on this site including the registry one, running in safe mode, removing identities, recreating accounts, everything, but nothing. This was before uninstalling Outlook and tried a few things after too to no avail.

I'm running Norton 360, but it never caused a problem with saved passwords. Also, I don't use its identity protection anyway, in case it was related. But like I said, things worked until I installed those office security patches. I guess they made things pretty secure now.

In case anyone's wondering, I'm checking the " Remember Password" box, and I can connect and get email, but each time I check email I get prompted anyway.

Even further, I edit anyone of my accounts, POP3, IMAP, add the password in the server settings, make sure the box is checked and save. Open the account properties again and the password is blank again.

I found similar questions posted here but they ended with someone from Microsoft saying they'll check on it, only to never return back with an answer.

Do I have to uninstall all of Office?

Does someone make a good email client for XP?

Thanks

H

Harry Yuan

Hi,

From your description , I understand that in a word your Outlook 2010 cannot save passwords when you tried all the suggestions you can try.

To fix or get more details about this problem click in the link below to go to Microsoft website Knowledge Base:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684&Product=ol2002

If not use, you can repair your Outlook 2010.

Sincerely,

Harry

A

AntonGemini

Hello,

I'm sorry to disappoint, but the above is not an answer to my problem.

As I mentioned in my original post, I tried all of the methods suggested in all the KB articles mentioned in similar threads, " ...including the registry one, running in safe mode, removing identities, recreating accounts..." .

That includes the KB article mentioned above, http://support.microsoft.com/kb/290684&Product=ol2002, from which I found the mentioned solutions I tried.

This answer simply circles back to the same, assuming that the solutions mentioned in the KB article will work for everyone.

It does not take in consideration that MAYBE someone else may have a different issue.

It does not take in consideration what I said that it was after installing the office security updates that this problem started.

It does not take in consideration that this problem started occurring with Windows Live Mail as well, not just Outlook, after the security patches were installed.

I also tried repairing Outlook but to no avail.

Even after uninstalling Outlook 2010, Windows Live Mail would still not work.

Here's the solution that worked for me:

- Uninstalled Outlook 2010

- Installed Thunderbird

- done

Happy to also have Unified Inbox with Thunderbird now!

1MCP

We are having the same problem. We have purchased 8 copies of MS Office 2010 Business – installed 4 of them on Windows XP Pro – everything works as expected. The other 4 were installed on new PCs running Windows 7. On PCs running Windows 7 and Office 2010 there is a problem with saving the password. We have tried all the solution suggested by Microsoft including adding the email accounts to the Control PanelàCredential Manager – no luck.
We cannot use the new PCs with Windows 7 and Outlook 2010, because the users cannot send any emails – as soon as they try to send an email the “Enter your password” box is shown. In January - March 2010 we are planning to upgrade 30 more PCs, but we will have to wait until this Outlook 2010 bug is fixed. Microsoft, any idea when that will be fixed?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
T Outlook 2010 calendar won't sync with Android phone Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 won't send on Windows 8 Using Outlook 2
G Outlook 2003 VBA Won't Run In Outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
C Outlook 2010 Address Book, won't stay selected Using Outlook 5
J Email won't send Automatically in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 won't save 'current view' with reading pane at 'bottom' Using Outlook 4
B Outlook 2010 won't preview Office attachments Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 asking for password constantly, won't accept correct one Using Outlook 5
C Outlook 2010 won't use a view other than maximized Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2010 won't configure exchange account, 0kb .ost file Exchange Server Administration 5
D Outlook 2010 won't launch after installin Microsoft office 2010 service pack 1 Using Outlook 1
B Outlook 2010 won't send or receive after update Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2010 won't open in Regular mode, Only Safe Mode, I've disabled all plugins... Using Outlook 1
F Add-In Tab won't display in Outlook 2010 Ribbon Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 won't perform Send/Receive on IMAP folders as scheduled Using Outlook 2
R Upgrading to licensed copy from 2010 beta - Outlook won't work Using Outlook 1
I Outlook 2010 Disconnects itself and won't restart. Using Outlook 1
N Multiple errors with Outlook 2010 - Won't receive Hotmail emails; but will send fine. Using Outlook 3
K Outlook 2010 won't work with FSNET/Orange service? Turn to MS Mail Using Outlook 4
E Outlook 2010 won't check for email. Using Outlook 2
W Outlook 2010 won't send mail from 1 account, but i can send it in outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
A New Outlook 2010 profile set up in computer #1 but won't setup in computer #2. Using Outlook 3
A Outlook 2010 won't open, seeking MS Exchange. Using Outlook 2
G Outlook 2010 won't re-open (or rather, never really closes) in Windows 7 Using Outlook 1
G outlook 2010 won't open in windows 7 Using Outlook 6
J Outlook won't open after installing Office 2010 Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010 won't open in standard mode Using Outlook 4
R I em using An HP Jornda568 PDA Why won't Outlook 2010 Comunicate with it???????? Using Outlook 1
P My Outlook 2010 won't delete files, or at least, sometimes it does, sometimes it doesn't.__ Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 won't open attachments on Windows 7 machines Using Outlook 2
S outlook 2007 installed. office 2010 student just installed. outlook now won't function Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2010 won't display downloaded pictures Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 - reminders won't snooze Using Outlook 1
A Exisiting Hotmail calendar events won't sync with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 7
K Outlook 2010 Contacts won't link to Address Book Using Outlook 1
R Outlook 2010 won't search public folders Using Outlook 1
J Outlook 2010 won't start in Win 7 Using Outlook 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i I think it may be time to upgrade from Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 0
I Error saving screenshots in a custom form in outlook 2016, outlook 365 - ok in outlook 2013, outlook 2010 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
M Outlook 2010 Problem with OutLook 2010 32 bit, after Windows Auto Update Using Outlook 3
M PST import from Outlook 2007 to 2010 - Address Book contacts all in 1 group Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2010 account setup fails in particular domain Using Outlook 3
B Outlook 2010 is Auto Purging when not configured for that Using Outlook 1
W Outlook 2010 Reading Pane Slows Startup Using Outlook 3
S Outlook 2010 unable to change default font Using Outlook 7
B Outlook 2010 Can not find a certain file in M/S Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 1
Mark Foley Cannot enable add-in in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
W Outlook 2010 some sent items marked unread now (was Ok before) Using Outlook 0
RBLampert Updating from Outlook 2010 to Outlook 365 Using Outlook 0