move mailbox- autodiscover

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

babylon99

ı'm migrating exchange 2003 environment to the exchange 2010.

On pilot phase, i move a exchange 2003 user to the exchange 2010.client is outlook 2007.

But unless i clck repair account, this user is not recognize this behaivour.it stays on disconnected state.if i click repair account on account settings page, it 's automatically get the cas array name and outlook anywhere settings.

Doesn't autodiscover service configure moved mailbox betwewn exchange 2003 and exchange 2010?

S

Sembee [MVP]

Is this the same forest, or are you going across forest?
If the same forest, then Outlook should be redirected, nothing to do with autodiscover. That has been a function of Outlook with Exchange since 5.5 days. How long are you leaving it after moving the mailbox before attempting to connect Outlook? Immediately -I would expect issues. However if it some time, then that would indicate a replication issue, or something is forcing Outlook to point to the old server (custom installation, profile configuration tool etc).

If you are going across forests, then things could be different, but you need to be clear.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

B

babylon99

it's the same forest.

i moved a exchange 2003 mailbox.after that " restart outllook" message apperad on client.

but it is still connecting old exchange server.if i configure " online mode" it gets the array name.

is there any method to automatic configure cas array name on the existing migrated mailboxes? ıf not, wil i configure each mailbox on my migrating process??

S

Sembee [MVP]

You shouldn't need to do anything.

The move mailbox process completes, Outlook should then redirect when it is started shortly afterwards. I have moved 1000s of mailboxes and the number of failures is very small.

Outlook should really be closed when the move mailbox process is running to ensure there are no problems. Live migrations only work with Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010 (ie moving between Exchange 2010 servers).

Simon.

B

babylon99

i think cas array is a problem, it gets cas server but not cas array fqdn.

N

Neil Hobson

Live migrations only work with Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010 (ie moving between Exchange 2010 servers).

Simon.
Or between Exchange 2007 SP2 and Exchange 2010. ;)Neil Hobson | Principal Consultant | Silversands | www.silversands.co.uk | www.msexchange.org/neil_hobson

S

Sembee [MVP]

Live migrations only work with Outlook 2010 and Exchange 2010 (ie moving between Exchange 2010 servers).

Simon.
Or between Exchange 2007 SP2 and Exchange 2010. ;) Neil Hobson | Principal Consultant | Silversands | www.silversands.co.uk | www.msexchange.org/neil_hobson
Picky.

Going back to the original point, I would check that the CAS array is configured correctly.
Did you set the array name on each database correctly?

Simon.

B

babylon99

yes i checked rpcclientaccessserver property on mailbox and it has cas array fqdn.

But stillif i move a mailbox from 2003 to 2010, it receives a restart prompt but still tries to connect legacy exchange 2003 server.

if i repair or configure online mode, it finds cas array fqdn.

S

Sembee [MVP]

What happens if you don't have Outlook running when you move the mailbox? As I have already written, you shouldn't be moving mailboxes with users logged in to Outlook - that can cause problems with the redirection. Moving mailboxes when Outlook is running should only be done with Outlook 2007 or higher and Exchange 2007 or higher. You are moving from Exchange 2003, so it isn't recommended.

Simon.

B

babylon99

it didn't work.

interesting thing that, after i moved mailbox to exchange 2010, on client site test auto config doenst work and cant get the scp or autodiscover url.

but again if i repair or enter the cas array name manuel on account settings, autodiscover and another connections restored.

B

babylon99

i change rpcclientaccessserver attribute to the cas fqdns instead of cas array fqdn.now everything works fine.

why outlook 2007 can not find cas array automaticlaaly

J

Justin.King

Sounds like the CAS Array isn't setup corectly then. Others have made better blogs than me on the topic but really you should start with the basics.

Make sure the FQDN is pingable (A records created correclty and all)

Make suer the CASArray is assigned ot the correct site and the CAS is in fact a member

Make sure you've updated the internal URLs of all the varius pieces (OWA, ECP, EWS, ActiveSync, OAB, SCP if the cert doesn't contain the machine name)

Make sure the certificate isntalled on the CAS accepts the CAS Array FQDN (reissue a self-signed if you must)

Make sure the Storage Affinity is set.

Really that should be all there is to it...

B

babylon99

the only difference is cas array and wildcard certificate.

wild card namespace is not including cas array fqdn.

Should cas array fqdn name must be on certificate?

J

Justin.King

Techcnially it doesn't _have_ to, as your clients are going direct RPC, but I would say it's a little complicated if you are doing one FQDN name for your RPC CASArray and a differetn FQDN name for things like outlook anywhere, OWA, Etc.

S

Sembee [MVP]

Unless you are using the same name for everything, the CAS array does not have to be in the certificate.

However, it is recommended by Microsoft that the CAS array does NOT resolve on the Internet, as it can stop Outlook Anywhere from working correctly. The CAS array name should be unique.

Therefore if you are using outlook.example.com for your CAS array, use owa.example.com for OWA, Outlook Anywhere etc, and ensure that outlook.example.com doesn't work on the Internet.

Furthermore, I don't actually recommend the use of a wildcard certificate. I find they provide mixed results, and therefore stick with the Unified Communications type of certificate with the required names in it.

Simon.

B

babylon99

thanks for the advices.

i change cas array name, but result is same.

very strange, if rpcclientaccessserver attribute is set to cas array fqdn on mailbox database, noone of the migrated mailboxes can connect.it just stop and no action.

but if i configure this attribute with default mailbox database parameter, this mailbox and other migrated mailboxes can resolve successfully.

S

Sembee [MVP]

What is the CAS array DNS pointing to? A specific server or a NLB virtual IP address? If the latter, try the former.

Simon.

B

babylon99

it points nlb virtual ip address.should it point one of the cas server?

also autodiscover is pointing nlv vip

J

Justin.King

Last minute thought: I do typically put the name in the cert because I like to update the SCP record to the CAS Array and that _does_ use SSL nd so will cause problems if it's not there.

That could be chaulked up to personal preference I guess.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
D Move Emails between Folders in Separate Mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
Q VBA Script to move item in secondary mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
J Automatically Move Old Items from a Shared Mailbox to a .PST on a Network Drive Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
T Messages no longer move to quote folder on shared mailbox after user adds -D to folder name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P move mails after send to central mailbox-sent items folder Using Outlook 4
K Outlook Cached Mode - can't create rules to move email to another mailbox Using Outlook 2
B Move mailbox from Exchange 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
M Exchange 2010 SP1 Hosted Mode - how to move mailbox from old organization? Exchange Server Administration 1
B Cross Forest Exchange 2007 to Exchange 2010 Mailbox Move question Exchange Server Administration 15
H Inter-Org Mailbox move Exchange Server Administration 1
P Outlook folder path changing automatically when move or delete Item from custom task folder which is installed in Exchange 2010 sared mailbox Using Outlook 1
D How to move an exchange mailbox back from 2010 to 2003 Exchange Server Administration 2
C Mailbox moved 2003 to 2010sp1 but move request screen shows errors Exchange Server Administration 3
F Exchange 2003 to 2010 Mailbox move Exchange Server Administration 1
M Sync Issues - Syncronization log in Outlook 2007 after mailbox move to Exchange 2010 from Exchane 20 Exchange Server Administration 11
F Exchange 2003 to 2010 Mailbox move Exchange Server Administration 4
K Move mailbox from 2003 to 2010 smtp changed Exchange Server Administration 1
D How do I move an Exchange 2003 mailbox to a new Exchange 2010 server Exchange Server Administration 2
A Move mailbox from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 but crossed different forest Exchange Server Administration 2
N Outlook - check sent items if messages sent from a specific account move it to another mailbox sent Using Outlook 3
J mailbox move Exchange Server Administration 4
A Outlook2010 - The emails stay in the Mailbox and doesn't move to the Personal folder Using Outlook 3
J move mailbox from 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 10
D move approval assistant mailbox Exchange Server Administration 4
V After Mailbox move a disconnected Mailbox is left behind in the old Database Exchange Server Administration 4
K The attempt to deserialize the move job from the system mailbox job queue failed. Exchange Server Administration 3
J Exchange 2010 mailbox move request Exchange Server Administration 9
M exchange 2010 mailbox move Exchange Server Administration 3
O Exchange 2010 move-mailbox fails with MapiExceptionNoSupport Exchange Server Administration 22
M Error: This mailbox exceeded the maximum number of corrupted items that were specified for this move Exchange Server Administration 9
F cross forest shared namespace mailbox move Exchange Server Administration 6
M Exchange 2010 Mailbox move error - Property Expression 'Jim Smith' Isn't vaild - FQE=A169C2C1 Exchange Server Administration 3
E Cannot move from Exchange 2007 sp2 mailbox to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 25
M local move mailbox from 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
M Move Mailbox from Exchange 2010 to Exchange 2010 (no DAG) - Client Outlook MAPI Profile still lists Exchange Server Administration 9
R Mailbox move failure - 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 13
D Event 1006: unable to process mailbox move requests Exchange Server Administration 12
S Failed to cleanup the source mailbox after the move. Exchange Server Administration 25
J Move message skips messages when looping through mailbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
G Move tasks up/down todo list by VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to move reply mail based on the key word in the subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Move Email with Attachment to Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Eike Move mails via macro triggered by the click of a button? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
G Cannot Move Autocomplete File to New Computer Using Outlook 15
M Move to Folder Using Outlook 1
P Move emails between 2 mailboxes. Using Outlook 0
C Copy Move item won't work Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
N Macro to move all recipients to CC while replying Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
Commodore Move turns into "copy" Using Outlook 3