Dynamic Distribution Groups Do Not Show UP in GAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

The Darkfriend

I am running Exchange 2007. I have several dynamic distribution groups, and none of them show up in our Global Address list. I have checked the purported search property in ADSI EDIT and it is correct, it lists " (objectCategory=msExchDynamicDistributionList)" .

I cannot find them in active directory users and computers. They do show up if I do a search in Exchange Management Console or Shell

I also checked the DDL itself and its properties link it to the correct address list.

Of note, all non dynamic Distribution lists show up right away ion the GAL.

H

Harikrishnan Sivaprakasam

Hi,

Check the attribute " ShowInAddressBook"

it should have the DN of the Default GAL

I have checked and found in my lab machine that i am able to see the DDG (Dynamic Distribution Group) in AD users and computers console as well as in the GAL

you may try creating a new DDG on the default users container and see make any difference

refer http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb123722.aspx

Regards, Hari | MCSE+ Messaging

A

Alexei Segundo

In addition to what Hari has suggested, check to see if the objects have the hide from address list flag set. You can check this on the Advanced tab of the recipient properties in the EMC, or query AD. Here's an example using adfind.exe from www.joeware.net

adfind -default -f " (&(objectclass=msExchDynamicDistributionList)(msExchHideFromAddressLists=TRUE))" 1.1

BTW, they won't show up in Active Directory Users and Computers (dsa.msc) unless you enable the Advanced view.

Alexei

T

The Darkfriend

Hari,

Thanks for the reply. I have checked the ShowInAddressBook and it has the proper DN of the default GAL. I cross checked against objects that do show up and it is exactl[y the same.

T

The Darkfriend

Alexei,

Thanks for the response. I had checked the Hide from address lists property. I ran the adfind tool, and your query returned 0 results. I removed the (msExchHideFromAddressLists=TRUE) and ran again, and returned 4 results.

So the objects are definitely there, but for some reason they don't show up!

D

David Bolton

This may sound like a silly question, but after adding the DDL, did you manually update the GAL to include those changes?

A

Alexei Segundo

Hello again

When you say they don't show up in the GAL, are you maybe looking at the GAL with an Outlook client in cached mode? By default cached mode uses the OAB, so I'm wondering whether this is an OAB generation or sync issue. Do the groups appear when you look at the GAL using OWA?

Alexei

T

The Darkfriend

I checked it using OWA. I also have added newer objects that are showing up already in the GAL, for instance new users or new, non-dynamic distribution groups.

They all show up. It is just Query Based Distribution Groups, and it is all of my 4 Query Based groups.

A

Alexei Segundo

Mmm, I'm starting to run out of ideas.

A couple of other things to check:
Can you successfully send to the DDGs using the smtp address? Look at the security descriptor on the AD object to check that it is successfully inheriting permissons from the domain object. You can use ADSIEdit to do this. Select the object properties, choose Security and then Advanced.

Alexei

V

v-9brcha

Hi,

Are these DDG's created in exchange 2007?.

If these DDG's were the once created in Exchange 2003 ensure that it is converted from LDAP to OPATH filters.

Also try creating a new DDG and check if that shows up in the GAL.

Awaiting ur reponse

Brindha

T

The Darkfriend

Alexei,

1 - I sent to the DDG@mydomain.com and the message did not get delivered to the recipients.

2 - The object is set to inherit permissions from its parent object

Brindha,

Yes, the DDGs are created in 2007.

I have tried with 4 DDGs, none of them work. They also have a different icon in ADSI Edit. The icon looks like a spiral notebook instead of a manila folder like the other objects.

Thanks

M

MaliStane

Run command in Exchange PS :

Set-AddressList -Identity " All Groups" -RecipientFilter { Alias -ne $null -and ObjectCategory -like 'group' -or ObjectCategory -like 'msExchDynamicDistributionList'}
-like 'msExchDynamicDistributionList' is what you need.

But, transfer GAL generation from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2007.

A

Alexei Segundo

From what I can see those references don't explain why the DDG is not visible in the GAL.

Is your environment pure E2007 or do you have legacy components?

Alexei

T

The Darkfriend

They explain why the email wasn't delivered.

The environment is pure E2007.

M

MaliStane

Have you run command :

Set-AddressList -Identity " All Groups" -RecipientFilter { Alias -ne $null -and ObjectCategory -like 'group' -or ObjectCategory -like 'msExchDynamicDistributionList'}

By default All grups does not include DDG !

A

Allen Song

Hi,

How many Domain Controllers in your environment? Is it the Replication issue? Maybe the Dynamic Distribution Groups is avaiable in one of the Domain Controller, but the it's not replicated in one of the GC which connected with the Outlook.

I suggest you connect every GC to confirm the DDG is existing.

Additionally, you can use the LDP tool to dump all the attributes of the DDG, then post here in order to check it.

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song

T

The Darkfriend

It is not a replication issue. I have checked on the DC that the object was created on. I have also confirmed that replication is working and that objects that were created after the DDG have been correctly listed on all DCs.

LDP Attribute DUMP:

ldap_search_s(ld, " DC=MyDomain,DC=com" , 2, " (objectcategory=msExchDynamicDistributionList)" , attrList, 0, &msg)

Result <0>: (null)

Matched DNs:

Getting 1 entries:

>> Dn: CN=qbuserslist,OU=Groups,OU=MyCompanyName,DC=MyDomain,DC=com

2> objectClass: top; msExchDynamicDistributionList;

1> cn: qbuserslist;

1> distinguishedName: CN=qbuserslist,OU=Groups,OU=MyCompanyName,DC=MyDomain,DC=com;

1> instanceType: 0x4 = ( IT_WRITE );

1> whenCreated: 11/19/2010 11:08:55 Eastern Standard Time Eastern Daylight Time;

1> whenChanged: 11/19/2010 11:08:55 Eastern Standard Time Eastern Daylight Time;

1> displayName: qbuserslist;

1> uSNCreated: 24110864;

1> uSNChanged: 24110864;

1> reportToOriginator: TRUE;

4> proxyAddresses: smtp:qbuserslist@MyCompanyName; smtp:qbuserslist@MyDomainName; X400:C=US;A= ;P=MyCompanyName;O=Exchange;S=qbuserslist;; SMTP:qbuserslist@MyDomainName;

1> mailNickname: qbuserslist;

1> internetEncoding: 0;

1> name: qbuserslist;

1> objectGUID: 11352adc-451c-4d7c-b5ff-941b13009d15;

2> showInAddressBook: CN=All Groups,CN=All Address Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=MyCompanyName,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=MyDomain,DC=com; CN=Default Global Address List,CN=All Global Address Lists,CN=Address Lists Container,CN=MyCompanyName,CN=Microsoft Exchange,CN=Services,CN=Configuration,DC=MyDomain,DC=com;

1> legacyExchangeDN: /o=MyCompanyName/ou=Exchange Administrative Group (FYDIBOHF23SPDLT)/cn=Recipients/cn=qbuserslist;

1> objectCategory: CN=ms-Exch-Dynamic-Distribution-List,CN=Schema,CN=Configuration,DC=MyDomain,DC=com;

1> msExchRequireAuthToSendTo: TRUE;

1> textEncodedORAddress: c=US;a= ;p=MyCompanyName;o=Exchange;s=qbuserslist;;

1> mail: qbuserslist@MyDomainName;

1> msExchPoliciesIncluded: {228CB88C-D908-41F4-B3FA-38BE386B2CEE},{26491CFC-9E50-4857-861B-0CB8DF22B5D7};

1> msExchQueryFilter: ((((RecipientType -eq 'UserMailbox') -and (MemberOfGroup -eq 'CN=Quickbooks Terminal,OU=Security,OU=Groups,OU=MyCompanyName,DC=MyDomain,DC=com'))) -and (-not(Name -like 'SystemMailbox{*')) -and (-not(Name -like 'CAS_{*')));

1> msExchRecipientDisplayType: 3;

1> msExchVersion: 4535486012416;

1> msExchQueryFilterMetadata: Microsoft.Exchange12.8f91d340bc0c47e4b4058a479602f94c:RecipientFilterType=1;

1> msExchDynamicDLBaseDN: DC=MyDomain,DC=com;

1> msExchDynamicDLFilter: (&(objectClass=user)(objectCategory=person)(mailNickname=*)(msExchHomeServerName=*)(memberOf=CN=Quickbooks Terminal,OU=Security,OU=Groups,OU=MyCompanyName,DC=MyDomain,DC=com)(!(name=SystemMailbox{*))(!(name=CAS_{*)));

-----------

A

Allen Song

Hi,

I suggest you create temporary GAL (with Mail-enabled groups option) to check whether the DDD will appear.

Create GAL, select Mail-enabled groups, click Next button, click Preview button, do them appear?

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Dynamic Distribution Groups... Using Department OR Custom attribute... Exchange Server Administration 3
R Create addresbook with normal and dynamic distribution groups Exchange Server Administration 1
Diane Poremsky Using Categories for Dynamic Distribution Lists New Slipstick.com Articles 0
L dynamic and static dates in Outlook contact "notes" ie. body Using Outlook 2
B Emacs Dynamic Abbrev Expansion, Esc-/ Using Outlook 1
J Dynamic date range for Outlook Search folders Using Outlook 2
N Creating dynamic forms in outlook?? Using Outlook 2
T Max Recipent or maybe bad dynamic dist list Exchange Server Administration 2
R Dynamic DNS update requirement for Exchange 2010 (SP1 RU1) on server 2008 r2 Exchange Server Administration 8
K remove 1 moderator from moderated dynamic DL Exchange Server Administration 2
J Dynamic fields on forms Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 5
S Dynamic Signatures? ( Hub Transport Rule? ) Exchange Server Administration 16
M How can we find the list of users who are members of a deleted distribution list? Exchange Server Administration 2
Healy Consultants Macro to remove inside organization distribution list email address when reply to all recepients Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Auto expand Distribution List Before Sending Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
E Distribution lists Using Outlook 1
M Question about nested distribution lists Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
G Bcc help - Preventing multiple forwards from a bcc'd distribution group Using Outlook 1
A Are categories still recommended for creating local distribution lists? Using Outlook 3
N Recurring invite sent w/distribution list adding/removing attendees Using Outlook 0
D Macro to scan email distribution list when replying Using Outlook 2
Diane Poremsky Find the Distribution Lists a Contact Belongs to New Slipstick.com Articles 0
T Missing sub-contact folders (distribution lists) Using Outlook 3
J Maintain Distribution List Using Outlook 3
S Finding Distribution List Name Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
J Outlook 2013 - Exchange 2007 manage distribution group Exchange Server Administration 1
K Rule for Distribution List Using Outlook 0
M add contacts to shared contacts distribution list Using Outlook 1
M Nested distribution lists: how to count UNIQUE # of people... Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 13
M VBA script to allow mail merges of distribution groups? Using Outlook 7
E Add sender to distribution list? Using Outlook 3
B Restore deleted contact distribution list Using Outlook 1
L Convert Distribution List of Contacts to Single Contacts Using Outlook 6
C Office 2007 Distribution Lists Using Outlook 1
W Combine Mail Merge to Distribution List with Auto Attachments - Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
Jennifer Murphy Distribution list fails after conversion to Unicode PST Using Outlook 2
C Can't import distribution list - help, please Using Outlook 1
M Distribution List with hundreds of emails Using Outlook 1
L Individual E-mails from Distribution List Using Outlook 5
M Import distribution list into MS Exchange Sharepoint Exchange Server Administration 3
G Distribution Group Owners Cannot Add/Delete Members Using Outlook 1
G Distribution Group administration Using Outlook 1
A Why doesn't distribution lists update automatically Using Outlook 3
L Send E-mail with VBA code from [E-mail Distribution Group] if I have “Send as” Using Outlook 6
T Distribution List - Export/Import Using Outlook 4
K Creating a New Distribution List from an Existing one Using Outlook 0
C How do I hide distribution list from global contacts for certain users? Exchange Server Administration 1
A Lock the distribution list Using Outlook 1
L Sending from a distribution list email Using Outlook 6
K outlook 2007 Export/Import Distribution lists Using Outlook 1