Not able to search by last name in GAL

Status
Not open for further replies.
A

Askilly

<!-- [if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:TrackMoves/> <w:TrackFormatting/> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:DoNotPromoteQF/> <w:LidThemeOther>EN-US</w:LidThemeOther> <w:LidThemeAsian>X-NONE</w:LidThemeAsian> <w:LidThemeComplexScript>X-NONE</w:LidThemeComplexScript> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> <w:SplitPgBreakAndParaMark/> <w:DontVertAlignCellWithSp/> <w:DontBreakConstrainedForcedTables/> <w:DontVertAlignInTxbx/> <w:Word11KerningPairs/> <w:CachedColBalance/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> <m:mathPr> <m:mathFont m:val=" Cambria Math" /> <m:brkBin m:val=" before" /> <m:brkBinSub m:val=" --" /> <m:smallFrac m:val=" off" /> <m:dispDef/> <m:lMargin m:val=" 0" /> <m:rMargin m:val=" 0" /> <m:defJc m:val=" centerGroup" /> <m:wrapIndent m:val=" 1440" /> <m:intLim m:val=" subSup" /> <m:naryLim m:val=" undOvr" /> </m:mathPr></w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]-->Whenever helpdesk creates a new user acct in Active Directory & then creates the mailbox in the exchange server" ' the name is populating in the GAL as 'first name' 'last name'. Helpdesk is updating the 'name' under 'user information' to 'last name', 'first name' for the mailbox which was populating the GAL correctly previously but now its not. The Clients are outlook 2007 and the migration was from exchange 2007 to 2010 on a server 2008 box....isn't there a way to be able to search by ether First or last name.

S

Steve Goodman

Hi Askilly,

Yes, they can search by First or Last name by clicking on " Advanced Find" when they open the address book picker.

Additionally, if they just enter the first name or last name in the " To" field, then press " Check Names" , it will find suggestions that way too.

Steve

Steve Goodman
Check out my Blog for more Exchange info or find me on Twitter

J

James-Luo

To change the name format in the GAL, you need to modify the value in &ldquo;Display Name&rdquo; parameter

Set-Mailbox UserAlias -DisplayName " Smith John"

Quote: &ldquo;isn't there a way to be able to search by ether First or last name&rdquo;

Unfortunately, you can"t search by using last name solely with " Name Only" selected (By default) in address book. This behavior is consistent in all the versions of outlook

Workaround:

&middot; Change name format in GAL as you want to accomplish

&middot; Instead of searching by last name, you can try to type few characters of &ldquo;First Name&rdquo; or &ldquo;Last Name&rdquo; in the &ldquo;To&rdquo; field of a new message and press &ldquo;Ctrl+K&ldquo; to resolve it
James Luo

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Is a sub folder under contacts necessary to be able to name an Address Book? Using Outlook 1
V not able to change name in customize Ribbon Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
N BCM suddenly crashed and not able to view specific business contact. Using Outlook 1
Fozzie Bear Wishlist To be able to add a local folder or network share location in foldern view Outlook Wishlist 1
L Outlook 2010- Be able to move default Mail folders (Outbox, Draft, etc) Outlook Wishlist 1
P Not able to receive meeting request Using Outlook 2
G Not able to send ANY emails due to a blocked list Using Outlook 2
D No longer able to Archive Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 1
N Not able to receive daily emails. Using Outlook 3
S I'm not able to copy and paste on outlook. Using Outlook 1
T Have to type in login to OWA twice before able to login Using Outlook 17
M Outlook Anywhere is not showing freebusy informayion and User not able to open shared calender while Using Outlook 1
R No problems for about three months and the, about two weeks ago I was no longer able to receive emails in Outlook. Using Outlook 4
D User running outlook 2003 not able to connect to Exchange server 2007 Using Outlook 5
D Not able to retrieve my emails or get to my contacts using outlook. Using Outlook 3
K Sending email in Outlook - being able to choose... Using Outlook 1
S Suddenly I am not able to send e-mail but can receive. We use Windows7 and Outlook has been working for about a year. Using Outlook 2
E 554 message not allowed [320] I am able to receive emails from these contacts but when i reply i get this error code. It is from contacts that i have Using Outlook 1
G Not able to accept meeting with outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
J DAG problem - I´m not able to recover database Exchange Server Administration 9
G Not able to accept meeting with outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
A error 2147504141 -I am not able to fix this error even after attepmting all IPv6 related sloution. Exchange Server Administration 3
D I am able to send emails on Outlook, but unable to retrieve emails trying to come in. Using Outlook 1
D Not able to send mails through MS Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 3
S Not able to establish Outlook on Windows server, office email, yahoo account Using Outlook 1
D I would like to be able to Forward a Template to a specified email address on receiving an email in the Inbox. Using Outlook 1
H Not able to get messages forwarded from my road runner account. Using Outlook 2
B Switching Access from version 2010 to 2007 or 2003 causes Outlook to no longer be able to send or receive email. Using Outlook 2
S How do I set up more than 1 email account for Outlook 2007. Have recently purchased a laptop and want to be able to check all emails that come into t Using Outlook 2
M Not able to select my contacts list for my address book Using Outlook 7
M Need to copy old PST file from CD into Outlook so as to be able to open and view the old documents. Using Outlook 7
A SCOM 2007 R2 not able to see Exchange 2010 mailbox server Exchange Server Administration 4
S Not able to open webmail inbox. Using Outlook 2
S Me and my big mouth...I said to my customer a district nursing organization down here in New Zealand, that 2 ipaqs should be able to share the same Co Using Outlook 1
T Need to be able to check my microsoft outlook emails via my blackberry Using Outlook 1
O owa was not able to process this request Using Outlook 3
A not able to change password by EX2010 OWA for few user's Exchange Server Administration 26
A Not able to load an add-in for outlook 2007 developed in VSTO 2005 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Unable able to initialize Exchange management (EMC and EMS don't work) - Access Denied Exchange Server Administration 16
Z Exchange 2010 OWA and outlook 2003 not able to access from terminal server after redoing the database. Exchange Server Administration 6
A When I log out of Outlook. The icon on the taskbar is greyed out and I am not able to activate/launch Outlook unless I reboot my PC. I have XP and am Using Outlook 2
I RBAC Authentication error - Remote EMC not able to access Exchange Organization Exchange Server Administration 13
S BCM Not Able to Complete Task - Window won't Clear BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C Not able to send emails with Outlook 2007 using Vista BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
U Not able to delete Add-in button from multiple Outlook Explorer Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B I want to be able to associate or attach e-mails to an account BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 2
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 1
D Custom Search Folders not refreshing/updating automatically Using Outlook 0
L New Location for the Search Bar Using Outlook 6