Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 mail stuck in Exchange 2003 Local Delivery Queue

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

dikkehaaj

Upgraded Exchange 2003 SP2 to Exchange 2010 SP1.
Moved all user mailboxes and Public Folders to the new Exchange 2010 environment (Move All Replicas).
(We can't uninstall 2003 yet because of some mailboxes/apps that need Exchange 2003 server)
Took down the Public Folder Store on the Exchange 2003 server (dismounted)

Now there are mails getting stuck (some) in the Exchange 2003 Local Delivery queue for what seems mail enabled public folders (that are on the Exchange 2010 server).
This happens when mail is send to Exchagne 2003 MX record and mail need to be delivered on Exchange 2010 server.
It's no affecting all mail enabled public folders so we can't figure out exactly what and where things are going wrong.

D

dikkehaaj

So when mail is send through Exchange 2003 to a Public Folder on Exchange 2010 it get's stuck in queue but not for all Public Folders.

On Exchange 2003 Message Tracking I see:
Delivered Locally to mailaddress@domain.com
Scheduled to Retry Local Delivery

D

dikkehaaj

I did an upgrade from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010.
Added the Exchange 2010 server as replicate partner for Public Folders.
All Public Folders replicated correct to the Exchange 2010 server.
Then on the Exchange Server 2003 server, right click the Public Folder Database and select “Move All Replicas”. Select the Exchange Server 2010 Public Folder database in the drop down box and click OK.
After that dismounted the Public Folder database on the Exchange 2003 server.

Strange thing now is that on the Exchange 2003 server in the Local Delivery Queue I see mails:
Sender
Public Folder Database 16542343 publicfolderdatabase16542343@domain.com Retry
When double click I see:

Recipient SMTP:EXCHANGE2003SERVERNAME-IS@domain.com;

A couple of messages a day end up in the Exchange 2003 Local Delivery Queue.
What is wrong or where do these come from?
PS. we still need the Exchange 2003 server so uninstalling is no option.

G

Gulab Mallah

Hi,

Make sure that Public Folder Database is pointed to 2010 Mailbox Database.
Dismount and mount the Pubic Folder Database on 2010.
Do you see all the public folders on 2010 server, what is the status of Public Folder after dismounting it on 2003?
Are you able to access the Public Folders?

Gulab | Skype: gulab.mallah

D

dikkehaaj

Make sure that Public Folder Database is pointed to 2010 Mailbox Database.
What do you mean exactly there is a Public Folder Database on the Exchange 2010 server that has all Public Folders. Or do you mean something else?
Dismount and mount the Pubic Folder Database on 2010.
We did this a week ago but still the issues remains
Do you see all the public folders on 2010 server, what is the status of Public Folder after dismounting it on 2003?
Yes all Public Folders are present on the Exchange 2010 server even permissions and send as etc.
On Exchange 2003 the PF is dismounted and PF are still available on the Exchange 2010 server
Are you able to access the Public Folders
Yes even after dismount on the Exchange 2003 server. But those email messages still fill up the local delivery queue on the 2003 server

D

dikkehaaj

I do a telnet to exchange2003server.domain.com 25
Write a test mail and it still ends up in the Local Delivery Queue of the Exchange 2003 server.
This happened to all mail that was received on the 2003 server.
Mail was not flowing to the 2010 server via the (by setup created) routing group connector.
Mail was stuck in the routing group connecter , therefore on the SMTP connector on the 2003 server (that has a higher cost than the routing group connector) I set a smarthost with the 2010 server IP address.
Most mail went from Local Delivery to the routing group connector and was nicely delivered.
But not all mail , still some mail will stuck in the Local Delivery Queue and end up with NDR.

Doing a telnet again and still mail clocks up in the Local Delivery Queue on the 2003 server.
If i do delete with NDR i never receive a NDR and see in the eventviewer
This is an SMTP protocol error log for virtual server ID 1, connection <connection>. The remote host 2010server responded to the SMTP command " <rcpt>" with " <550 5.7.1 unable to relay>" . The full command sent was " <rcpt to: myaddress@domain2.com>" . This will probably cause the connection to fail.

- Why is mail getting stuck in the local delivery queue
- Why does mail not flow through the routing group connector from the 2003 server to the 2010 server (if i remove the smart host)

D

dikkehaaj

Did some troubleshooting but can't lay my finger on it.
Extra Exchange 2003 logging isn't revealing much.
As the Public Folder store is dismounted on the Exchange 2003 server, is this maybe a issue (because perhaps a store must be mounted for correct Exchange 2003 functionality ?)

So with a smart host on the SMTP Connector on Exchange 2003 mail is flowing through to the Exchange 2010.
But mail that seems SPAM or Public Folder Hierarchy or TELNET mail is stuck.

Anyone has a clue or a direction where to search?
And why is the (by setup created Routing Group Connector Exchange2003<->Exchange2010 not working all of a sudden, must i re-create it because it is a known issue?)

D

dikkehaaj

Troublshooted furhter and approx 2-4 mails a day.

Sender
Public Folder Database 16542343 publicfolderdatabase16542343@domain.com Retry
When double click I see:

Recipient SMTP:EXCHANGE2003SERVERNAME-IS@domain.com;

The sender is PublicFolderDatababase name on the Exchange 2010 server.

A

Allen Song

Hi,

Local delivery queue contains messages that are queued on the Exchange server for local delivery to an Exchange mailbox or public folder store.

For the mail-enabled public folder transport, which is different from the normal mailbox object since the the Public Folder may exist on multiple servers (replicas).

It uses a " Two stage process" to email to a public folder object. For detailed information, you can refer to the below article:

http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2004/09/10/228114.aspx

From the article, we know that if a message is submitted from a mailbox (or has arrived at this server from an external source) and there is public folder store on this server and this server also has a replica of the folder itself, then the message will never leave the box. It will be delivered to the local replica. That's why the email was stuck in the local deliver queue when the local public folder was dismounted.

To verify this issue, you should mount the Public Folder Database on the Exchange 2003. Regarding the RGC issue, please try to delete and recreate it to diagnose this issue.

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song

D

dikkehaaj

I mounted a new (empty) public folder.
In ESM > Move All Replicas (waited some hours).
When I go to Public Folder Instances, I see 2 instances
-exchangeV1
-StoreEvents{GUID}
Click on Public Folder Store > delete > You cannot delete this public folder store because it contains folder replicas.

Created a second RGC (the default i gave cost 10) with cost 1
Still problem exist.
So mounting empty Public Folder DB didnt work and new RGC neither.
Idea is to delete the PF store but i face error above.

D

dikkehaaj

Waited with a good night sleep and this morning I was able to delete the Public Folder store.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
B Exchange 2003 EDB corrupt Exchange Server Administration 6
B Seeking advice now Outlook 2003 is unsupported by Exchange Using Outlook 4
D cleaning up old Exchange 2003 data on Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
A Exchange 2003 how to stop accepting EHLO and AUTH commands Exchange Server Administration 2
A Exchange 2003 Outlook 2010 64 Bit- AutoDiscover Connection Err - Certificate Exchange Server Administration 9
P correct public folder migration exchange 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
A File - Save Attachments does nothing in Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2010 ... Using Outlook 3
A Rename resource Exchange 2003 Using Outlook 2
R Exchange 2003 to 2013 mail Exchange Server Administration 4
C Exchange 2003 - Outlook 2003 - Calendar entries saving over each other Using Outlook 2
T Exchange 2003, NDR, DNS problems Exchange Server Administration 3
K clear categories on Exchange 2003 & Outlook 2003 Exchange Server Administration 1
S Outlook Quick Steps - Exchange 2003 / Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
T Outlook 2010/Exchange 2003: Meeting Organizer doesn't show Using Outlook 1
O Exchange 2003 displaying HTML emails as having attachments Exchange Server Administration 7
S How to leave e-mail on Exchange 2003 server? Exchange Server Administration 1
J Problems starting Information Store Server in Exchange 2003 Exchange Server Administration 13
J I use Windows XP with Microsoft Outlook 2003 and I cannot get int the Microsoft Exchange server. Using Outlook 1
B Move mailbox from Exchange 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
S New Outlook 2003 Clients with Existing Exchange 2010 error's Exchange Server Administration 6
K on outlook 2003, how do I set up an out of office reply if I do not use the exchange server Using Outlook 2
V Uninstall ONLY Exchange 2010 but leave Exchange 2003 server in place - Public Folders Question Exchange Server Administration 5
S exchange 2003 org to exchange 2010 org Exchange Server Administration 2
T Outlook 2003 thinks I'm connected to and exchange server. I'm not. How do I reset Using Outlook 1
H Unable to remove the last exchange 2003 server in the organization Exchange Server Administration 2
M Inbox is not syncing correctly between OWA and Windows 7 Client with Exchange 2003 Using Outlook 4
M Exchange ActiveSync HTTP 500 Exchange CAS/HUB 2007 and Exchange 2003 BE & MBX CCR 2007 Using Outlook 1
D User running outlook 2003 not able to connect to Exchange server 2007 Using Outlook 5
A OWA redirection in exchange 2010 and 2003 Exchange Server Administration 1
H Exchange 2003 to 2010 Transition, Public Folders Exchange Server Administration 2
K exchange 2010 OWA and exchange 2003 coexist Exchange Server Administration 1
C Outlook 2003 (or Exchange 2003): Automatically coptying someone on outbound email Using Outlook 2
C Mail folder permissions Exchange 2003/Outlook 2003 Using Outlook 1
M Outlook Mail Format Options - Grayed out 2003 office/outlook in exchange 2007 mail organisation. Using Outlook 3
K exchange 2010 OWA and exchange 2003 coexist Exchange Server Administration 1
A I have purchased a replacement computer and installed Outlook 2010. My server is a 2003 small business exchange server. How can I access the calenda Using Outlook 1
M Exchange 2010 Outlook Web App via Exchange 2003 Front End Server Exchange Server Administration 1
J Exchange server 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
L Exchange 2003 to 2010 Migration - Public Folder Replication Failed - Busy/Free Issue Exchange Server Administration 8
D Outlook 2003 is getting an error when trying to open an exchange 2010 mailbox Exchange Server Administration 5
B Entourage and Exchange 2003 SP2 Using Outlook 1
D Unable to search contacts in Outlook 2003 - Exchange 2010 Using Outlook 2
I Win 2003 AD Exchange 2003 upgrade Exchange Server Administration 6
S Exchange 2003 coexistence with Exchange 2010 (Edge, OWA, Certificate, DNS considerations) Exchange Server Administration 3
D Users migrated from exchange 2003 cannot manage Distribution lists from Outlook Exchange Server Administration 7
J Understanding Exchange 2010 <-> Exchange 2003 Connectors....help... Exchange Server Administration 4
W Outlook 2010 Free/Busy Data not updated\viewable - Exchange 2003 SP2 Using Outlook 2
S garbage mail recieved from Exchange 2010 HUB to Exchange 2003 user. Exchange Server Administration 2
I Copying mailboxes from Exchange 2003 to Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
B Exchange 2003 OWA/OA/AS over NAT and Exchange 2010 CAS Exchange Server Administration 4