Hide from Exchange Address list not working

Status
Not open for further replies.
D

David-JFC

My help desk is reporting that when they check the Hide from Exchange Address list check box on a user in EMC under Recipient Configuration/Mailbox/User in question/properties/General tab the user is still being shown in the Global Address list. It has been over a week since they checked the box. They have 4 occurrances of this happening. The Help Desk is checking this box after they have disabled the user account in AD.

As part of my testing I ran an update on the offline address list and then in my Outlook 2010 I reloaded the address list from account settings download address list. users are still showing.

After updating offline address list I checked event logs and see the command completed successfully. I'm not seeing any other events related to the GAL sync on either the CAS/HUB server or the MBX server.

We are running AD 2008 R2 Datacenter single domain, Exchange 2010 SP1

Ideas? I also don't want this process to be run via powershell as want the easiest and simplest method of hiding from list for the HD which means via GUI.

D

David Bolton

We had a similar situation. You state " The Help Desk is checking this box after they have disabled the user account in AD" . First set the hide from exchange address list first, then update the OAB, then disable the account. The AD account must be active for any of the exchange mailbox settings to work.

D

David-JFC

I also ran the following command in powershell against 1 of the users in question:

Get-Mailbox user@domain.name | FL AddressListMembership,HiddenFromAddresslistEnabled

Returned

AddressListMembership : \Default Global Address List, \All Users

HiddenFromAddressListsEnabled: True

D

David-JFC

I was thinking about this but want but forgot to post. I will re-enable account, update OAB, and then disable.

I will report back

S

Sembee [MVP]

The way to test if this is working is to check through OWA, as that uses live information. You could also use Outlook out of cached mode.
If the account is gone from OWA, then it is just the OAB that needs to update.

Simon.

Simon Butler, Exchange MVP
Blog | Exchange Resources

D

David-JFC

What is the Interval that Exchange uses to poll Active Directory when a user is re-endabled?

For the OAB it is scheduled at 5am to update but I can force OAB updates manually.

D

David-JFC

OK, I re-enabled user in AD, replicated change via sites and connectors, waited about 10 minues and then unchecked the hide from address list in EMC, waited 10 more minutes and rechecked hide from AL and then ran an update of OAB.

Now user does not show in OWA but shows up my Outlook which is in cached mode. In my Outlook I redownloaded the address but user still shows.

How long should I expect for cached mode Outlook to catch up with live information?

Thanks

D

David Bolton

You can disable Outlook cached mode:

Turn on Cached Exchange Mode
On the Tools menu, click E-Mail Accounts, click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next. In the Outlook processes e-mail for these accounts in the following order list, click the Exchange Server e-mail account, and then click Change. Under Microsoft Exchange Server, select the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box. Exit and restart Microsoft Outlook.

Turn off Cached Exchange Mode
On the Tools menu, click E-Mail Accounts, click View or change existing e-mail accounts, and then click Next. In the Outlook processes e-mail for these accounts in the following order list, click the Exchange Server e-mail account, and then click Change. Under Microsoft Exchange Server, clear the Use Cached Exchange Mode check box. Exit and restart Outlook.

D

David-JFC

David, yes that it is all well and good but I have 200 users in Cache mode so this is not feasible. I need to understand when and if Outlook in Cache mode will update with the updated GAL under normal operating conditions?

So again the question is:

How long should I expect for cached mode Outlook to catch up with live information?

S

Sembee [MVP]

The Offline Address Book is downloaded automatically once a day by default, or when Outlook is restarted. That behaviour cannot be changed.

Therefore it can take up to 48 hours before a change is seen by all users.

You can update the OAB manually, that can take a little while to process depending on the number of objects in the address book. After about 30 minutes you can force the download on a client and you should see the change.

If you don't, and the change still isn't seen, then OAB generation needs to be investigated.

http://www.amset.info/exchange/oab-error.asp

Simon.

D

David-JFC

Here is an update:

Logged in to workstation and launch Outlook 2010. User still showing. Launched OWA - User not showing. From Outlook 2010 reloaded address book and user NOT showing. As indicated we are running in Cache Mode in Outlook but from comments on this post when restarting Outlook it should automatically reload updated address book - it did not.

We can't feasibly manually update Outlook 2010 address books each time we do this on a user account. Any recommendations.

S

Sembee [MVP]

As I have already explained, the OAB is downloaded automatically by Outlook. You cannot change that behaviour. Therefore when a user is hidden from the GAL you have two options only.

1. Wait for the OAB to update and the clients to then download the updated OAB. That can mean it takes up to 48 hours for the user to be removed.

2. After hiding a user, manually for the OAB to update on the server itself, then when confident the update is finished, ask users to update their address book.

That is it. You have no other options.

The OAB should have updated overnight, and Outlook will download it once every 24 hours, or shortly after Outlook is restarted, whichever occurs first.

If you must have a user removed from the GAL for all users immediately, then you will have to look at disabling the OAB functionality. Of course that is only practical for users who can always connect live to Exchange for the GAL, no good for laptop users.

Simon.

D

David-JFC

Understood but that didn't happen. OK - I have hidden another user from the GAL and confirmed in OWA. I will wait 48+ hours and see if my GAL in Outlook on the desktop actually does update.

Appreciate the response.

Status
Not open for further replies.