Recommended Reboots for EX2010

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Mikey_AGBoston

How often should we reboot our Exchange 2010 environment?
I have heard quarterly; every 90 days or so? Is that too aggressive/neurotic?

Follow up question, last night our tertiary Mailbox server's Operating System recycled itself.
It had not been rebooted in 118 days.
Is it absurd to think that because the server hadn't been rebooted in 118 days is the reason why the OS recycled?

B

Brian Day MCITP

You shouldn't have to reboot at all except for whenever you perform routing patching/upgrades. I've seen Exchange servers have birthdays before being rebooted. Now keep in mind that means they did no patching during that time, which I strongly would not recommend following suite.

My posts are provided “AS IS” with no guarantees, no warranties, and they confer no rights.

M

Mikey_AGBoston

And your thoughts on the possiblity that anything Exchange related could have caused a 2008 R2, Enterprise Server's OS to randomly recycle?

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

I agree with Brian. No need for "scheduled reboots" as part of any maintenance cycle.

If the server rebooted itself, then something else is going on.

B

Brian Day MCITP

Never seen it myself, further investigation would be necessary.

M

Mikey_AGBoston

MS Support Offical Answer:

As per our conversation, I did check with my peers and our internal database and confirmed that there is “No Requirement” as such to reboot the server on a periodic basis.
Sometimes the updating of some new files / patches on the existing systems may require restart which will be informed in message prompt.

In practice some patches will reboot your server by force to activate its function.
You should reboot the server when the updates promote you to make a reboot else schedule the same.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
A Are categories still recommended for creating local distribution lists? Using Outlook 3
B Recommended Outlook & VBScript Books? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
M which Outlook recommended to buy for moving Outlook 2000 versions Contact Data Using Outlook 2
N What is the recommended maximum amount of PSTs loaded for a user in Outlook 2010? Using Outlook 2
A What is the recommended storage lun design for databases and T-logs ? Exchange Server Administration 4
M Exchange 2010 Recommended Disk and RAID Configurations Exchange Server Administration 6
C Ex2010 problems with mail-enabled public folders Exchange Server Administration 0
M How do I get a copy of the NDRs sent to an administrator in EX2010 Exchange Server Administration 4
N EX2010 SP1 RU2 - High CPU Usage - Exchange Search Servuce Exchange Server Administration 4
R cannot uninstall EX2003 after transition to EX2010 Exchange Server Administration 6
G Ex2010: Edge Sync / SynStatus Inconclusive? Exchange Server Administration 7
L Following migration from EX2k3 to Ex2010 meeting requests do not appear as tentative Exchange Server Administration 2
A EX2010 ERROR Exchange Server Administration 4
M EX2007 - EX2010 - Public Folder Migration, some items are missing with MSExchange Store Driver 1020 Exchange Server Administration 1
P Ex2010 active sync Exchange Server Administration 4
R Transition from Ex2003 to Ex2010 Exchange Server Administration 11
P Migrating Exchange 2007 to 2010 no mail going between servers or out from the Ex2010 servrer Exchange Server Administration 6
J ex2010 edge transport - inbound from internet Exchange Server Administration 7
C ex2010 outlook03 autodiscover working??? Using Outlook 5
E OWA not working "out of the box" with Ex2010 (or after SP1, or after SP1 RU1)! Exchange Server Administration 3
P Migration Ex2003 to Ex2010 problem, cannot see old mailboxes/users Exchange Server Administration 32
J EX2010 to 2003 does not work with Outlook but does with OWA Exchange Server Administration 2
Y Public Folders move from EX2007 to EX2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
R Ex2003 to Ex2010 Migration - how to remove orphaned public folder replicas on Ex2003? Exchange Server Administration 19
A Does I need to move & upgrade Default Address Lists from EX2003 to EX2010 Server Exchange Server Administration 12
A not able to change password by EX2010 OWA for few user's Exchange Server Administration 26
M outlook client gives security alert after setting up EX2010 owa on server Exchange Server Administration 7
M Mailbox Database failover in Ex2010 RC Exchange Server Administration 7