Exchange 2010 - External mail issues

Status
Not open for further replies.
T

Thys88

Hi all,

I've recently setup an Exchange Server (MS Exchange 2010) in my organization.

I can only send/receive mails internally, not externally.

I have already opened up all the necessary ports on my router and firewalls that Exchange requires.

I installed Exchange sucessfully onto Windows Server 2008 R2 with no problems.

We have registered a domain name with the registar.

Only other thing is we have a dynamic IP that we get from our ISP that changes daily.

Any help as to what is causing this problem?

Thanks,

Regards.

Thys

R

ronnypot

Hi,

To send and receive email through exchange 2010 you have to create a send and receive connector. Information about connectors are here http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/library/bb125128.aspx

But as you mentioned, if your isp IP address changes daily receiving email by using smtp is a problem because you have to create a MX record for your domain that points to this ip address.

Regards Ronny

T

Thys88

Hi Ronny,

Thanks for your reply. That is my understanding as well, I have indeed configured the Send/Receive connectors and I have created necessary A records and MX records. Still no luck.

Do you think that a static IP from my ISP would fix this issue?

Regards

JM Oosthuizen MCP,MCSA,MCTS,MCSE,MCITP,MCT

L

Leif Pedersen [MVP]

Hi,

A static IP could help on the receiving part, but should't be the problem with sending.

What happens when you try to send an e-mail?

Does it sit in a queue (error message)?

Do you receive a NDR?

Leif

R

ronnypot

Hi,

Alright, can you try if you can telnet to the server on port 25 and get a connection?

What could be the problem is that your isp blocks port 25 on there netwerk, so please contact them and be sure that isn't the case?

You will need a static ip address to receive email over smtp to your server.
Regards Ronny

T

Thys88

Hi Leif,

It sits in the queue forever till it times out.

This is my message:

#550 4.4.7 QUEUE.Expired; message expired ##

T

Thys88

Hi Leif,

Thanks for the hyperlinks. Unfortunately that is not of much help.

I can telnet into the another domain without problems. Works fine, just the e-mails that doesn't want to relay.

Any other suggestions?

Regards,

J

Justin.King

You have a dynamic IP and that's going to be a big problem dispite who may have said otherwise.

The simple truth is that vast majority of message hygiene systems out there are going to want to be able to forward _and_reverse_ lookup your address and get a match against your sending FQDN. If they cannot they will tag your messages as spam or even outright block you from sending. You_need_ a static IP address for mail to work reliably.

That said you also have not said what error message you are getting on your messages before they expire from your queue. There should be other errors before the ultimate 550 4.4.7. But I'm willing to bet you are going to hit a wall with a dynamic IP (you could relay to mxlogic or someone else ... but even then they will want you to input a trusted IP for relaying which you'll need to keep up-to-date).

T

Thys88

Hi Justin,

Thanks for your reply, I don't get any other errors except the timeout error strangely. This network I am setting up for the company I work for and they need this ASAP, I've been struggling with this Dynamic IP business for 2 weeks now, so I decided to post something on technet and see if someone can help me.

Do you think that a static IP would solve the problem of mine? I know that a static isn't that important for sending, more for the receiving part.

Thanks in advance,

Regards

J

Justin.King

The big variable is that you say you're getting no error as mail sits in the queue. How fast do you get the undeliverable. is it mediate? Or does it take awhile? Does mail sit on the server for a few days before the NDR comes back?

Two weeks is a long time to be struggling this ... I'm going to go on a limb here and say it's not all messages .... just some messages randomly (i can't imagine going without email for 2 weeks). If that is the case then i would say a dynamic IP is absolutely your issue.

Again, any Message hygene when it gets an email message is going to to check the FQDN in the HELO and ping to see if it gets the same IP back ... if it doesn't the message will get dropped (different vendors will do this in different ways. Some are afraid of backscatter so will literally just close the connection without a proper NDR code). Many Hygene solutions go a step further and reverse lookup the IP to see if that name matches the HELO FQDN. If your mail server can't pass these simple tests ... you're messages are very likely to fail.

Simple reality: if the FQDN in your global send connector reads mail.somewhere.com ....

I should be able to ping mail.somewhere.com and get your public IP

I should be able to ping -a your public IP and get mail.somewhere.com

If you can't " fix" this part of your mail sending you will have a never ending battle of updating your forward/reverse public DNS entries.

T

Thys88

Hi Justin,

Thanks for the reply, yep, it takes about 2 days then the NDR comes back...all external e-mails is not being send.

I've made 100% sure my send connector is correctly configured a few times now, even experimented with a different domain I've setup, no luck.

This is the first time I have setup an Exchange Server and it was quite easy till the external send/receive problem.

Is there a way that I can check if my msgs gets resolved through the ISP DNS?

I've opened Queue Viewer in MMC to check my messages that's being send, it just keep telling me " Connecting...Retry" and the message is then just piled with the rest.

Really do not know anymore...

Regards

T

Thys88

Hi all,

Solved my problem...just configured my Smart Hosts to point to my ISP and then assigned another MX record from/to my ISP and it worked like a charm.

Regards,

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
S External e-mail attachments always seen as inline attachments with Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
B Exchange 2010 Configuration Question Internal Domain for External Clients Exchange Server Administration 6
N Exchange 2010 External and Internal DsnMaxMessageAttachSize Exchange Server Administration 2
S Microsoft Exchange Server 2010 Not Receiving External Emails For New Users Created Exchange Server Administration 2
I exchange 2010 external licensing question Exchange Server Administration 5
F Email Address Policy for External Recipients in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
J Stop details info reply from Exchange 2010 Server of undeliverable message to external recipent Exchange Server Administration 2
B Exchange 2003/2010 external mail routing issue Exchange Server Administration 3
M Exchange 2010 External Out of Office messages not going External Exchange Server Administration 20
Diane Poremsky Organizational Forms Library in Exchange 2010 New Slipstick.com Articles 0
V Recover exchange 2010 edb Exchange Server Administration 2
B Exchange 2010 / Outlook 20070 "client error in synchronization log" Exchange Server Administration 1
T Renaming an Resource in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
P Outlook 2010 MS Exchange Calendar to Android- ical or webdav? Using Outlook 1
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 or 2013 Dual Configuration Exchange + IMAP Exchange Server Administration 6
H In Exchange 2010, how to block an email containing an attachment that has foreign characters Exchange Server Administration 1
Digitally Hip Outlook 2010 (32) and Exchange 2010 (sp3) sender info not displaying in Outlook Using Outlook 1
A give User Read Only access to secondary mailbox in Exchange 2010 via AD Exchange Server Administration 1
N Outlook 2010 exchange - auto-move emails from @domain Exchange Server Administration 1
V Outlook 2013 cant stay connected to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
D cleaning up old Exchange 2003 data on Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
L Weird Inbox problems Outlook 2010/13 and Exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
R Exchange 2013/Outlook 2010 Slow Startups Exchange Server Administration 8
Z Outlook 2010 client to Exchange ,,,,search not working proparly Exchange Server Administration 0
M First post -help with managing two calendars Outlook 2010 /Exchange 2010 Using Outlook 0
T Outlook INBOX emails gone back 2-3 weeks after Exchange Server 2010 Restart Using Outlook 0
A Exchange 2003 Outlook 2010 64 Bit- AutoDiscover Connection Err - Certificate Exchange Server Administration 9
C Outlook 2010, two exchange mailboxes configured.Unable to see 2ndrymeeting req Using Outlook 2
C Exchange 2010 / Emails received show with display name and not email address Using Outlook 2
P correct public folder migration exchange 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
S Unable to send or reeceive email in new Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 0
A File - Save Attachments does nothing in Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2010 ... Using Outlook 3
B Sharing Multiple Outlook 2010 Calendars (Exchange) Exchange Server Administration 4
P can't set IRM configuration in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
B Using hosted exchange to sync outlook 2010 calendars and contacts to BB Z10 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2010/Exchange 2010 Multi Mailboxes (Server unavailable) Using Outlook 6
O outlook 2010, owa, exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
D why do exchange contacts not sync properly from outlook 2011 to outlook 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
J Exchange 2010 free/busy shows hashmarks in scheduling tab when not organizer Exchange Server Administration 6
C Exchange 2010 - Outlook 2010 - Exchange Server Administration 4
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 wont remember Exchange Credentials on log off /shutdown of Win7 Exchange Server Administration 2
T Exchange 2010: 'could not save item' and 'Unknown error' when edit calendars Exchange Server Administration 1
I Shared Contacts in Outlook 2010 and Exchange Server 2010 Using Outlook 4
A emails disappearing from inbox outlook 2010 exchange server 2010 major trouble Exchange Server Administration 6
J OL2003 Public Folder Sync Errors w/ Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 11
B Outlook 2010 won't configure exchange account, 0kb .ost file Exchange Server Administration 5
R Thousand of sync issues on Outlook clients with Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
R Create a contacts list on Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 10
T Exchange / Outlook 2010 - How to cancel meetings but retain the calendar entry Using Outlook 4
S Outlook Quick Steps - Exchange 2003 / Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2