Exchange 2010 - problem sending mail from one server

Status
Not open for further replies.
V

Vespa Alex

Hello.
We currently have two Exchange 2003 Standard Edition servers - one at Site A (local office) and one at Site C (remote office)
- and we are in the process of upgrading to Exchange 2010.
We have a total of three new Servers (all of which are running as Virtual Machines).
Exchange2010A is a Mailbox, Hub Transport and Client Access server at Site A (local office)
Exchange2010B is a Mailbox, Hub Transport and Client Access server at Site B (local datacentre)
Exchange2010C is a Hub Transport and Client Access server also at Site B
The plan is to migrate user mailboxes from both our old servers onto the new ones and then have a replicated copy of the databases in case our building burns down.
We have set up appropriate connectors to link the old and new halves of the organisation and created a Mailbox Database on 2010A. A test user has been created on this server and I can send and receive mail between them and an existing mailbox on both of our old servers, plus an external recipient.
I've then set up a DAG and created a replica of the database on the 2010B server and this worked ok - I can manually move the active database copy to the other machine for a controlled swap, and if one machine is shut down then the other assumes the master role.
The problem is that when the database is on the 2010B server, although users can connect ok via OWA or Outlook 2010, any messages that they send aren't delivered and eventually time out. As far as I can see, the two servers are configured the same, but clearly something is different.
<edit - fixed a problem with the ECP>

I've looked at one of the failed messages and I can see " '451 4.4.0 Primary target IP address responded with: " 451 5.7.3 Cannot achieve Exchange Server authentication." Attempted failover to alternate host, but that did not succeed. Either there are no alternate hosts, or delivery failed to all alternate hosts"

Can someone help me find where I've gone wrong as I'm now going round in circles.

Thanks

G

Gulab Mallah

Check the send connector and make sure that Anonymus permission is checked and restart MS Exchange Transport service.

Gulab | Skype: gulab.mallah

V

Vespa Alex

I've double checked that it's set to use anonymous rather than Exchange authentication , but still have the problem.

N

Novak Wu

Hi,

Please delete RGC between Exchange 2003 and 2010 and recreate it using the New-Routinggroupconnector command:

New-RoutingGroupConnector -Name " 2010-2003" -SourceTransportServers " Ex2010Hub1.contoso.com" -TargetTransportServers " Ex2003BH1.contoso.com" -Cost 1 -Bidirectional $false -PublicFolderReferralsEnabled $true

and

New-RoutingGroupConnector -Name " 2010-2003" -SourceTransportServers " Ex2003BH1.contoso.com" -TargetTransportServers " Ex2010Hub1.contoso.com" -Cost 1 -Bidirectional $false -PublicFolderReferralsEnabled $true

Please check the results running below cmdlet:

Get-RoutingGroupConnector| FL

Please also assure the SMTP Virtual Server is listening on the 25 port, and the Basic Authentication and Integrated Windows Authentication are checked.

If the problem still appears, please run the exchange best practices analyzer on 2k10 to check the mail flow and run get-sendconnector |fl command in EMS, then post the information on the forum.

Thanks.

Novak

V

Vespa Alex

Hello.

In the end this turned out to be a firewall problem rather than an Exchange one.

There is a Cisco ASA between the two servers and it was the inspect esmtp command in the config causing it. Removed this and it started working.

N

Novak Wu

Hi,

Thank you for sharing the solution to us. This can help other forum users in future who has the same problem.

Regards,

Novak

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
S Internet Mail SMTP Connector Problem on Exchange 2010 after Migration Exchange Server Administration 2
S vb.net exchange 2010 problem with enable-mailbox command Exchange Server Administration 2
A Exchange 2007 <-> 2010 OWA not working together redirecting problem Exchange Server Administration 1
P Exchange 2010 Installation Problem Exchange Server Administration 9
D INSUFF_ACCESS_RIGHTS problem with Certain Settings Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 4
A Problem Setting up Outlook Anywhere for Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 17
R Problem installing Unified Messaging on Exchange 2010 SP1 Exchange Server Administration 3
T Exchange 2010 SP1 Mailbox export date filter problem - bug? Exchange Server Administration 9
M SendMail problem with ActiveSync 14.0 (Exchange Server 2010) Exchange Server Administration 3
Diane Poremsky Organizational Forms Library in Exchange 2010 New Slipstick.com Articles 0
V Recover exchange 2010 edb Exchange Server Administration 2
B Exchange 2010 / Outlook 20070 "client error in synchronization log" Exchange Server Administration 1
T Renaming an Resource in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
P Outlook 2010 MS Exchange Calendar to Android- ical or webdav? Using Outlook 1
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 or 2013 Dual Configuration Exchange + IMAP Exchange Server Administration 6
H In Exchange 2010, how to block an email containing an attachment that has foreign characters Exchange Server Administration 1
Digitally Hip Outlook 2010 (32) and Exchange 2010 (sp3) sender info not displaying in Outlook Using Outlook 1
A give User Read Only access to secondary mailbox in Exchange 2010 via AD Exchange Server Administration 1
N Outlook 2010 exchange - auto-move emails from @domain Exchange Server Administration 1
V Outlook 2013 cant stay connected to exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
D cleaning up old Exchange 2003 data on Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
L Weird Inbox problems Outlook 2010/13 and Exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
R Exchange 2013/Outlook 2010 Slow Startups Exchange Server Administration 8
Z Outlook 2010 client to Exchange ,,,,search not working proparly Exchange Server Administration 0
M First post -help with managing two calendars Outlook 2010 /Exchange 2010 Using Outlook 0
T Outlook INBOX emails gone back 2-3 weeks after Exchange Server 2010 Restart Using Outlook 0
A Exchange 2003 Outlook 2010 64 Bit- AutoDiscover Connection Err - Certificate Exchange Server Administration 9
C Outlook 2010, two exchange mailboxes configured.Unable to see 2ndrymeeting req Using Outlook 2
C Exchange 2010 / Emails received show with display name and not email address Using Outlook 2
P correct public folder migration exchange 2003 to 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
S Unable to send or reeceive email in new Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 0
A File - Save Attachments does nothing in Outlook 2003 with Exchange 2010 ... Using Outlook 3
B Sharing Multiple Outlook 2010 Calendars (Exchange) Exchange Server Administration 4
P can't set IRM configuration in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
B Using hosted exchange to sync outlook 2010 calendars and contacts to BB Z10 Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2010/Exchange 2010 Multi Mailboxes (Server unavailable) Using Outlook 6
O outlook 2010, owa, exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
D why do exchange contacts not sync properly from outlook 2011 to outlook 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2
J Exchange 2010 free/busy shows hashmarks in scheduling tab when not organizer Exchange Server Administration 6
C Exchange 2010 - Outlook 2010 - Exchange Server Administration 4
Fozzie Bear Outlook 2010 wont remember Exchange Credentials on log off /shutdown of Win7 Exchange Server Administration 2
T Exchange 2010: 'could not save item' and 'Unknown error' when edit calendars Exchange Server Administration 1
I Shared Contacts in Outlook 2010 and Exchange Server 2010 Using Outlook 4
A emails disappearing from inbox outlook 2010 exchange server 2010 major trouble Exchange Server Administration 6
J OL2003 Public Folder Sync Errors w/ Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 11
B Outlook 2010 won't configure exchange account, 0kb .ost file Exchange Server Administration 5
R Thousand of sync issues on Outlook clients with Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 5
R Create a contacts list on Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 10
T Exchange / Outlook 2010 - How to cancel meetings but retain the calendar entry Using Outlook 4
S Outlook Quick Steps - Exchange 2003 / Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 2