Install the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 on Exchange 2

Status
Not open for further replies.
F

Fabian Cortes

Hi, we actually have a exchange 2010 SP1 in our organization, then we bought a backup software named ARCSERVE 15 (last version) and it needs that we must to install the Microsoft Exchange Server MAPI Client and Collaboration Data Objects 1.2.1 on the server that we have the exchange 2010 installed.

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/en/details.aspx?familyid=E17E7F31-079A-43A9-BFF2-0A110307611E&displaylang=en1.Install

The operative system on the exchange was installed is win2k8 R2 enterprise and my questión are:

1. This software is compatible with exchange 2010?

2. We have a stable installation with exchange 2010 SP1, this software modify something on the exchange?

3. This software must be installed on mailbox server?

4. If the installation is secure, then it require restart the server?.

We don't like to get incident with this software and we say thank you for you comments

Thanks a lot for you help

Regards

F

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Is that so you can do mailbox level backups? Personally, I see no reason to do those.

But yes, its supported to install that package on Exchange 2007 and 2010.

S

smurfman

Fabian,

Just went thru the r15 install myself. MAPI is required for document level backups. I noticed though in just the past couple days, that a document level backup is very taxing on the server - just a heads up.

Along with the MAPI there are a bunch of other hoops you need to jump thru to make it work. I was on phone with CA yesterday morning. Thiis KB helped:

TEC436398 (applies to both Exch 2007 and 2010)

But some other things that I had to verify were things in the local system policy to allow the user account doing the backup (a domain admin with a mailbox) to log in locally, log on as service, act as part of OS, CA had me put the domain admin in the backup users on the local server, and disable UAC.

In r15, there is a new Exchange Organization at the bottom of the backup objects, leave it as name resolution - as it uses this to link to AD and perform the document level backup.

But again, it is really slow, 1 for 1, so a mailbox that had like 3000 items in it took like 15 minutes.

J

R

Robert Greenlee

Mailbox/Document level backups are extremely hard on the Exchange servers and last time I talked to them about it also not recommended. I'd up your deleted item recovery limits to 30 days to reduce the number of times you have to go to backups to recover items and ditch the brick level backups.

Just my 2 cents.

F

Fabian Cortes

Thanks all of you for your response, now is necessary for a exchange backup to the database install this software ? what do i get with this installation?

regards

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Thanks all of you for your response, now is necessary for a exchange backup to the database install this software ? what do i get with this installation?

regards
Headaches? ( I kid, I kid!)

the MAPI/CDO package will allow you to do mailbox level backups/restores. However, if you just want to do store level backups, then you dont need to install the MAPI/CDO stuff. That is really up to you. Check with the Arcserve documentation for info on how to just store level backups.

Personally, I dont see the need for mailbox level backups - ever. Set your deleted item/mailbox retention to a value that make sense for your org. Use Single Item Recovery if required. (http://msexchangeteam.com/archive/2009/09/25/452632.aspx)

Don't forget, you can always restore to a recovery database as well.

Note that Mailbox Level Backups are not directly supported by Microsoft. If you have a problem with them, you have to contact the vendor for support. Not to mention that you have to keep the MAPI/CDO software up to date.

Just my opinion. :)

F

Fabian Cortes

Hi, you have the same backup solution, then could please to tell me what is the procedure that you've followed to install the CDO? do you have your exchange 2010 on DAG environment? I appreciate your response because is similar to our scenary...

Regards

F

S

smurfman

I do not have DAG in my environment, and on my Exch 2010 server - if I recall I just installed CDO. It was a self extracting to a folder with an MSI in it, I ran the MSI straight up, and that was that.

From there - the CA support tech also had me disable UAC on the server, verify the security permissions (the things referenced in the TEC above)

In the r15 server software - you need to add the exchange server that you are going to do either DB or Document level backups under the Exchange Organization section. Do not put in an IP address when configurign the agent, as the server needs Active Directory to be able to do DNS and also find the Mail Server.

The user backing up at a Document Level, needs to be a domain admin and have a mailbox on the server as well.

Hope that helps.

J

Status
Not open for further replies.