need help retrieving email from previous Outlook Profile

Status
Not open for further replies.
N

nvisibl

a customer was using Outlook 2007 (pops) via Windows 7 on their standalone laptop
i changed the network configuration and computer name on the laptop so that it could join our company domain
alongside this i gave the customer a new network login account to login to their laptop
what i didn't do was backup their Outlook data and transfer over into their new network profile
question is - can i retrieve their Outlook email data? for transfering over into their new profile?
thank you

A

alashcroft

There should be an 'Outlook.pst' file in their old user profile, which should contain all previously saved messages.

G

Gorgis

Yes look for all of the following files:

*.PST (storage file for outlook objects)

*.OST (full copy of the mailbox)

*.NK2 (Office 2003 and 2007 only but can be imported to office2010)

And the folder "signatures" is also nice to copy so you dont have to re-create the signature if they allready have one. (time saving)

Other good stuff to copy is the favorites folder.
You need to be logged in as admin to copy the items. Most likely the new user profile dont have access to the old one.

Good luck.

/Gorgis

With best regards Gorgis

N

nvisibl

thanks guys much appreciated

I found a .pst file in users\local\microsoft\outlook

It's 7 days old... and i get from the customer that they used their email after this time and so to go back to this PST will mean them loosing 7 days data (customer bookings information)

I didn't find an OST file anywhere on the laptop... should I have?

G

Gorgis

No not necessary.

Depending on if you have the option "Use Cashed Exchange Mode" checked at the previous user profile in Outlook.

If the option is checked then the OST file is created. (Otherwise e-mails remain only on the server)

In cashed Exchange mode a local copy of the inbox is stored in the ost file and its good for laptops so you can read your e-mails when offline.

(of for stationary computers when a LAN/Network is down)

/Gorgis

With best regards Gorgis

G

Gorgis

Where did they save the customer bookings information, open the pst folder and let them have a look maybe they saved it elsewhere somtime users think they refer to something in the e-mail while accutally it is already stored in other localtion for ex network share or similar...
ask the user to show you exactly where by login in to the old profile and open the outlook from there. (all should remain as it was before your change I think?)

Just simply dont login to the "domain" change to login to this computer "hostname" at the login window and use the old user account to login.

/Gorgis
With best regards Gorgis

N

nvisibl

i changed the computer name from what it was originally ... do you think i could still log-in locally using the previous username with the old profile?

thanks for your time gorgis

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Marc2019 Need help please! Cannot Setup my outlook email account on my Mac Outlook 2011 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
C need help setting up outlook first time Using Outlook 1
N Need help syncing contacts to iPhone X Using Outlook 8
S Error using AddressEntry.GetContact - need help Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
EaglePI Outlook 2010 need help with rules Using Outlook 0
B Need Help - Willing to pay Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 10
J Need Help with Contacts VBA Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
H Need help setting up GetFolderPath-Makro with Vodafone IMAP Mail-Account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T Need help with finding/updating task Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
Denis Hi everyone!!! Need some help with Excel to Exchange Calendar??PLEASE>>> Using Outlook 1
E Need Help on Setting up a repeated Reminder on Task with Reoccurence Every Year Using Outlook 6
B Need Help Creating Email Based on Subject w Address in Body Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
G Need help configuring a PRF for Outlook 2010 and 2013 Using Outlook 0
K Excel Import Option: Need Help Updating Existing Records BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
K Need help concerning emails linking to BCM. BCM (Business Contact Manager) 0
J Need help with installation of BCM in Outlook2013 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 5
F Outlook 2010 - Need help with a custom field. Using Outlook 3
D Need Help with Script. Keep getting Runtime Error 438 BCM (Business Contact Manager) 4
R Need help getting BCM to work with my Outlook 2014 Using Outlook 4
L Need help getting calendar/contacts/tasks/notes back! Using Outlook 3
R [VBA] complicated(?) outlook events - need help with code Using Outlook 15
P Need help/Gmail accounts show separately/Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 0
J Need Help Extracting Email Content into Excel Specifically the Attachment Name Using Outlook 3
A Need Help with BCM2010 Sharing on outlook 2013 Scenario! BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
C Need Help with Simple Code Correction Using Outlook 11
W I Need help with vb.net and outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
A My move to MS is not going too well: Need Help !!! Using Outlook 14
M Need help with combo boxes in messages! Using Outlook 10
D Need help understanding which pst-file to use! Using Outlook 0
U Need a help please Outlook 2007 crashing Using Outlook 2
Z Need Help Outlook 2007 inbox and address book view Using Outlook 2
B Need help adding a background color to the compact list items in Month view. Calendar Printing Assistant 1
B Need help adding an image next to the Month Name in the header. Calendar Printing Assistant 1
B Ok - a complicated one - but really need help (auto formatting) Using Outlook 9
B OUTLOOK 2000, Need Help ! Outlook Wishlist 1
P To Use BCM or not...I need help BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Need help making RULE to prepend email SUBJECT Using Outlook 3
V Need help on configuring Outook 2003 Rules and Alerts... Using Outlook 2
A Need Help Urgent !!!- Add Seconde Node To The DAG Exchange Server Administration 12
M Need help w/ Calendar Events not appearing in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
D Need help bulk exporting mailboxes Exchange Server Administration 3
N Need Help with Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
G Need help in merging data from multiple .pst data files into one .pst file. Using Outlook 3
F Incoming email titles - i need them back (please help...) Using Outlook 2
B Need help with contact recovery, since trial of Office 2010 has ended. Using Outlook 2
M Need Help on Designing Exchange 2010 Email Solution for 4000 Users Exchange Server Administration 1
S OL2007/XP views will not retain settings. Really need some help here. Using Outlook 2
D Need help repairing Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 2
D Need help with word wrap in Outlook 2010. Using Outlook 5
L Windows Instant Search Indexing not working need help reading Event Log Using Outlook 2