Help Configuring Exchange Server 2003 SP 2 for ActiveSync with a Droid X

Status
Not open for further replies.
C

Chaplain Doug

Exchange Server 2003 SP2. Droid X, version 2.2.

My Exchange Server has been up and running for a few years. Our users connect to it internally from Outlook and externally from Outlook (RPC over HTTP) and from the Outlook Web Access interface. I also have Blackberries connecting via IMAP4. The OWA interface is secure (users access it at an https address and we have an SSL certificate from GoDaddy).

I am now trying to configure a Droid X, version 2.2 and my Exchange Server to communicate via ActiveSync (it is called Corporate Sync on the Droid X). I have had no luck making it work, and the Droid does not give me much more than a little message at the top of the email screen saying " account error" after it tries to sync up. Can anyone give me some instructions for configuring the Exchange Server so that this works?? The Droid instructions on the Verizon site make the setup of an activesync connection to Exchange appear " plug and play." Of course it has not proven to be so far.

Any help at all will be greatly apprecaited. Thanks.

Dr. Douglas Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org

C

Chaplain Doug

I tried going to the OMA directory of my site as you suggested (https://mail.goodnewsjail.org/oma). I was prompted for a username and password (just as happens when my OWA users go to https://mail.goodnewsjail.org). However, no matter what valid username and password I enter, it never succeeds. Instead I go to a page (after a couple tries) that says:
You are not authorized to view this page

You do not have permission to view this directory or page using the credentials that you supplied.

Any suggestions?

Dr. Douglas Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org

C

Chaplain Doug

On second try, I entered https://mail.goodnewsjail.org/oma and I was prompted for a user name and password. When I entered these a blank page was displayed (without any errors). When I viewed the source of the page it was:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC " -//W3C//DTD HTML 4.0 Transitional//EN" >

<HTML>

<HEAD>

<META content=" text/html; charset=windows-1252" http-equiv=Content-Type>

</HEAD>
<BODY>

</BODY>

</HTML>

The address resolved to: https://mail.goodnewsjail.org/oma/(S(2sl0w555pyzeqzvb4fxpfr45))/oma.aspx

So does this mean that it is working?

C

Chaplain Doug

Ronny:

In your example of browsing to the OMA page it shows that hyperlinks come up on the page as follows. My page is blank. What does that mean?

Inbox
Calendar
Contacts
Tasks
Find Someone
Compose New
Preferences
About

C

Chaplain Doug

Even though the scenario in the article is a Windows 2000 Server and I am running Windows 2003 Server, I still performs the steps. The OMA page is still blank when I access it. The contents of the oma.aspx page (on my server) are:

<%@ Page trace=false language=" c#" ValidateRequest=false Codebehind=" oma.aspx.cs" Inherits=" Microsoft.Exchange.OMA.UserInterface.Page" AutoEventWireup=" false" %>
<%@ Register TagPrefix=" mobile" Namespace=" System.Web.UI.MobileControls" Assembly=" System.Web.Mobile, Version=1.0.3300.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=b03f5f7f11d50a3a" %>
<meta name=" GENERATOR" content=" Microsoft Visual Studio 7.0" >
<meta name=" CODE_LANGUAGE" content=" C#" >
<meta name=" vs_targetSchema" content=" http://schemas.microsoft.com/Mobile/Page" >

J

James-Luo

Please use RegMon to monitor the registry activities, and then reproduce the issue

Possible cause: Incorrect permissions on &ldquo;Application&rdquo; registry key

Resolution: Add Read permission for " Authenticated Users" on " HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application&rdquo;

Possible cause: Registry entry &ldquo;EventMessageFile&rdquo; is missing

Resolution: Add it manually

EventMessageFile = C:\WINNT\Microsoft.NET\Framework\v1.1.4322\EventLogMessages.dll

HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Services\Eventlog\Application\MSExchangeOMA

James Luo

C

Chaplain Doug

James:

Both of the above settings were already in place in my registry.

My overarching problem is that my Motorola Droid X will not connect to my Exchange Server 2003 SP2 using ActiveSync. My OWA users connect fine. My IMAP4 users connect fine. I just cannot get the ActiveSync to work. This is my problem. Any ideas here?

J

James-Luo

Please browse the &ldquo;Microsoft-Server-ActiveSync&rdquo; virtual directory, the expect error feedback is &ldquo;501/505&rdquo; on the webpage

Please verify the ActiveSync functionality with windows mobile emulator and Remote Connectivity Analyzer

If the issue happens in the emulator, please increase the diagnostic logging on the ActiveSync component, reproduce the issue, and then check the event in the application log

Please reproduce the issue, and then post the HTTP traces in the IIS log

Please enable the logging in the emulator. In the &ldquo;ActiveSync&rdquo; folder on the device, please check the trace in the CtrlLog0 file

1. Start, point to Programs, and then click ActiveSync

2. Click Tools, click Options, click Server, and then click Advanced

Notes: The log is saved in text format in the Windows\ActiveSync folder

Resources:

Windows Mobile 6 Localized Emulator Images

Remote Connectivity Analyzer

James Luo

C

Chaplain Doug

I gave up on trying to get the Droid X connected to our Exchange Server. I ended up loading the Touchdown app on the Droid x. It uses the OWA interface to Exchange to sync the inbox, contacts, and calendar. It works. I never was able to get the built-in activesync (corporate sync) interface to work on the Droid X. However, I read posts in other forums indicating that people were using this interface. I suspect that something needs to be tweaked in our Exchange Server settings. But to date I have not been able to get such help.Dr. Douglas Pruiett Good News Jail & Prison Ministry Richmond, Virginia www.goodnewsjail.org

Status
Not open for further replies.