Ignore Conversation - does it just filter on subject line?

Status
Not open for further replies.
R

RG-Dave

Hi,
Does IGNORE in Outlook 2010 work based on conversation threads or just on the subject line? Why am I asking? Let me explain...

There was an ongoing internal email conversation with the subject line of "Parking" and so in Oulook 2010 I right clicked on the message and clicked on ignore. This took all the messages in that conversation thread (so I thought) and placed them in the deleted items folder. Great! What a simple idea and very effective! However, the boss later sends me an email (not a reply or forward) with the same subject line and that email also goes into deleted items - NOT GOOD AT ALL!

In Outlook 2010 looked in the Deleted Items folder and checked "Show conversations" and I can see it also removed some older emails with the same subject line. When I expand the view I can see clearly the actual conversation emails are linked but the others that also got placed in the deleted items are not linked. This makes me suspect that the Ignore button actually worked on the subject line and not on the conversation - please tell me it ain't so!

Can anyone else confirm, deny, provide an explanation, workaround or fix?

Thanks, Dave

A

Allen Song

Hi,

Yes, Ignore feature works on the subject not the conversation. I have tested this on my lab and reproduced this issue.

You can work around this issue by using Outlook Rule.

Thanks

Allen

Allen Song

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
U Outlook 2010 Ignore Conversation Feature, list of Active Ignored Using Outlook 1
M Ignore slow add-ins Using Outlook 0
L Ignore hyperlink from being flagged as false pattern Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Diane Poremsky Testing please ignore New Slipstick.com Articles 1
S Creating custom rule to move if "NAME" is in body but ignore the phrase "Hi NAME" in the search Using Outlook 2
X Can you get outlook to ignore certain weeks for recurring meetings? Using Outlook 1
G Alerting on missed emails in conversation Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
R Disable conversation thread from replying of recipients in the same subject. Please help Using Outlook 0
S Conditional Formatting for messages in a Conversation thread Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2013 Replace Subject with Conversation (a "hidden" value). Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
N Move emails of same conversation to same subfolder Using Outlook 6
I get count of all emails with same conversation ID Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Emails sorted by conversation including replies and categorized by color. Using Outlook 1
A Email Subject and Conversation Topic Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 12
Y Move new messages to personal folder which already contains this conversation Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
oliv- How to select an mailitem in explorer with "show as conversation" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 8
P Outlook 2013 Conversation View vs. 2007 Using Outlook 1
Justo Horrillo It's possible to modify the behaviour of the conversation option? Using Outlook 2
F Outlook group by conversation problem Using Outlook 1
C Custom Forms: Question about retaining form information throughout the entire conversation Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
M Outlook 2013 conversation view ... missing links Using Outlook 3
R Vba Conversation Index property Using Outlook 0
A some email not shown in conversation Using Outlook 2
P problem with set up group by conversation in outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
D Move email to same folder as the rest of the conversation Using Outlook 1
C 'Show as conversation' query Using Outlook 0
M Preventing conversation from moving to the top of the message box? Using Outlook 7
A Conversation cleanup Using Outlook 1
R Deleting one email in a conversation deletes all Using Outlook 6
K Move conversation to folder after replying Using Outlook 1
H Formatting of email conversation print outs - URGENT Using Outlook 1
E Conversation Folder in multiple accounts Using Outlook 3
F Automatically delete previous messages in a conversation Using Outlook 2
G fix client/server conversation error message Exchange Server Administration 1
R How to remove an email from a grouped conversation Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
Y Outlook 2007 not display conversation history on Reply or Forward Using Outlook 0
D Is there a way to turn off "group by conversation" by default in OWA Exchange 2010? Using Outlook 2
R Outlook for Mac 2011 - Conversation View does not show unread emails Using Outlook 1
E Bug in Outlook 2010 Conversation View? Using Outlook 1
G Missing my name as sender in conversation view Using Outlook 11
R Outlook 2010 Conversation View isn't grouping my conversation Using Outlook 8
N Finding messages by conversation macro Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
V Outlook 2016 Does Outlook-2016 (64 bit) work with iCloud for Windows ? Using Outlook 4
F Junk Email does not get added to the Blocked Sender List Using Outlook 4
N Free/busy publish at http location does not work Using Outlook 1
T Why does outlook 2010 convert only some forum notifications to plain text? Using Outlook 0
R Auto display of new email does not work on non-default account Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
M Deleting attachments does not reduce file size Using Outlook 0
M vCard does not have user-defined fields from my custom contact form (365) Using Outlook 1
M Outlook .com group does not show up in Outlook for office 365 home Using Outlook 3