Initial Outlook Configuration with AutoDiscover populates wrong email address

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

MKSanchez

Hi,

This one is pushing me right over the edge....

Add a new user in AD.

Add a new user mailbox for the new user in Exchange 2007 Management Console.

Check the user's mailbox properties (specifically Email addresses). All OK.

New user logs in to domain workstation. OK.

User starts Outlook 2007.

Outlook starts the Account Configuration Wizard.

" Yes" ...click next. OK

" Your Name" filed is correct.

" E-Mail Address" field is incorrect. Instead of the email address associated with the user (which is listed correctly in exchange mailbox properties and AD user properties), the field is populated with the users`s AD account name ie: username@domain.

Can anyone shed some light on this for meÉ

Thanks in advance.

M

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Is it causing you problems?

Sounds like its populating the name field with the UPN. Is that a bad thing?

X

xchargerx

Hmmm...had to sign in using a different ID...oh well...MKSanchez here...

Yes it does cause a problem:

I delegate the outlook setup to the users themselves. Bascially a few clicks and they're good to go. Now they have to replace the UPN with their actual email addresss and supply their password. This basically blows away the purpose of autodiscover: to reduce complexity of adding an outlook account. Now I have new users calling help desk to ask " what's my email address?" ..." what do I do at this prompt?" ...etc...

So I'm highly motivated to solve this issue.

M

A

AndyD_ [MVP]

Hmmm...had to sign in using a different ID...oh well...MKSanchez here...

Yes it does cause a problem:

I delegate the outlook setup to the users themselves. Bascially a few clicks and they're good to go. Now they have to replace the UPN with their actual email addresss and supply their password. This basically blows away the purpose of autodiscover: to reduce complexity of adding an outlook account. Now I have new users calling help desk to ask " what's my email address?" ..." what do I do at this prompt?" ...etc...

So I'm highly motivated to solve this issue.

M
Why do they have to replace the UPN with their actual SMTP address? I'm missing something here.

X

xchargerx

They don't " have to" . The autodiscover stll finds their account but in outlook the account name shows up as the UPN. The users then need to rename it to something they are famililiar with. Also, I prefer to hide the implementation of certain things in AD (like UPN's) from the users. I know this may seem like a quibble, but it makes my job so much easier. I'd like the process to return to its former behaviour...ie autofill the users email address in the outlook initial auto configuration. How canb I do this?

Thanks for your help.

M

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
V iCloud and Outlook 2007 iCloud - Initial setup with live data on all machines Using Outlook 2
C Initial Install Outlook 2010 - Error -> can not find OCVsetup[1].msi Using Outlook 2
T Search in Outlook 2007 takes at least 1 minute to deliver initial result. Using Outlook 3
P Linking email responses to initial email sent Using Outlook 5
B Initial "Connecting" to public folders on startup Using Outlook 8
1 Faster Initial Loading Using Outlook 1
B haveing trouble with initial install of exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 6
R Initial sign-in error using Hotmail Connector. Using Outlook 2
S set the initial folder in PickFolder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 2
pcunite Outlook 2019/O365 Build 13127.20408 errors when using MAPI calls Using Outlook 1
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 Outlook in Windows 10 keeps asking for user name and password repeatedly Using Outlook 14
S Outlook mail adressing stops after first match in GAL Using Outlook 0
A Apply Selected Emails to outlook rules and Run Rules Using Outlook 5
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
J How do I disable advertising in Outlook 2019? Using Outlook 10
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Unable to Sync Web/Android MS To Do with Windows Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 3
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to send auto acknowledge mail only to new mails received to a specific shared inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to move reply mail based on the key word in the subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook Calendar not coming down from cloud Using Outlook 2
Terry Sullivan Sender's Name Doesn't Appear in the From Field on Outlook 365/IMAP Using Outlook 2
GregS Outlook 2016 Can I disable the Outlook Outbox? Using Outlook 2
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook Contacts Notes Field Photos to Smartphone Using Outlook 0
Paula S. Outlook 2013 won't recognize new password Using Outlook 4
J Want to learn VBA Macros for Outlook. What book can you recommend? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
J Time Zone Issues - Outlook Calendar and Webcal Feed Using Outlook 8
J Are the underlined letters in Outlook Reminders window supposed to work? Using Outlook 0
M Office 2016 Outlook is forgetting passwords Using Outlook 15
G How to add a folder shortcut to outlook quick access toolbar? Using Outlook 6
W Outlook WAS facebook but there is no info for old accounts Using Outlook 0
E Can one still buy Outlook (or Office) 2016? Using Outlook 6
G Add to Outlook Contacts - Point to non-default contacts folder Using Outlook 0
E Outlook view grouping keeps changing Using Outlook 3
Wayne Outlook locks up when opening "Manage Rules & Alerts" Using Outlook 3
G Personal Settings within Outlook Using Outlook 2
M Outlook 2013 reminder email by using Outlook vba Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
H Outlook 2019 Certificate error Using Outlook 2
B Outlook 2013 erratically deleting original file that is attached Using Outlook 0
V Outlook Forms: Formatting a Label with 2 different styles Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook 2016 Outlook randomly unhides from taskbar Using Outlook 12
X Using Outlook 2013 and Outlook 365 Using Outlook 1
V Date and/or time error in Outlook Form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
D Sending email from Office 365 alias in Outlook Using Outlook 3
B Spam folder not showing in Outlook Using Outlook 5
ThinkToday Calculate reply time of outlook mail Using Outlook 1