OWA 2010 Nicknames Multiply

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hello All!

Long time lurker, first time poster.

I installed Exchange 2010 recently and it has been rock solid aside from OWA nickname cache issues.

I created a test user and populated the contacts. I tried 2 things - I put all of the contacts manually into "suggested contacts" using outlook 2010. After about 5 min, logging into OWA nickname cache populated correctly whenever I started typing in the "To, CC, BCC" fields as expected. After a few days of use, I started to notice that some of the names multiplied in the list. Only a few of them - 1 name showed up 4 times, a few others showed up twice. So, I figured the cache was corrupt and I deleted the test user and started over.

I then created new test user, but this time, I only used OWA. I logged in, created all the contacts, then made an email with every contact in the "To:" field. As expected, the names were again cached correctly. It seems to have worked for about a week, but it is now doing exactly what the first test user did where one user shows up 4 times, and other users show up 2-3 times.

An interesting point to this is that the single name that shows up 4 times was the same in both test. The other names that showed up 2-3 times were random.

Either way, if I highlight and delete the name, it eventually re-multiplies.

I would think that this was not a form of corruption of the nickname file, as I would think it would not display anything at all.

Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Chris

Cathy Rhone

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2010
Are you using the mailbox to send and recieve mail? If so, are you sending mail to the addresses that are duplicated? Are there duplicate contacts in Suggested Contacts for each duplicates address in the cache?

Actually, yes to the first two of the questions, the ones that are multiplying are being used to send mail to, but so are others that do not multiply. When I type in the name and it auto-completes, I am just selecting the first one that shows up in the list. The names are not duplicated in the contact or suggested contacts list, no.
Where were you headed with that line of thought, am I missing something about name caching and duplicating? (I thought it was smart enough not to duplicate names that were allready in the cache)

Regards,

Chris

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Outlook smart? LOL You'd think so, but there are times its pretty dumb.

Really no dupes in suggested contacts folder? I have a bunch duplicated (and that are already in contacts). In some cases, the display name is slightly different or there is a ' around the address but in many i can't see a difference but outlook thinks they are so it saves another copy. I haven't noticed many duplicates in the autocomplete cache as a result but i really haven't looked (i didn't notice any in a quick check - but i also don't prepopulate my list) - i know in the past i had dupes that had the apostrophe around the address.

If you don't prepopulate the cache, does it happen?

As an FYI - you don't need to put your contacts in Suggested Contacts. Suggested Contacts is used to store contacts from people you sent mail to who are not in Contacts - its the microsoft answer to people using the autocomplete cache as their address book and not saving contacts. It duplicates the OE feature 'create contacts for addresses i reply to' but avoids cluttering up the Contacts folder with useless addresses you may never need again. And if your autocomplete cache is cleared, you still have the addresses. OWA shouldn't be caching names just because they are in the Suggested Contacts folder - the autocomplete cache is a hidden message in the mailbox, not suggested contacts.

Do you have all the updates installed in Exchange? Are you using RTM or SP1?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
T OWA 2007 recent recipients and OWA 2010 nicknames Exchange Server Administration 5
O Multiple simulteniously opened OWA 2010 accounts in one browser work fine ! Using Outlook 3
O outlook 2010, owa, exchange Exchange Server Administration 2
T Syncing OWA 2010 to Outlook 2007 Exchange Server Administration 15
S Signature size limit for OWA / Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 10
M Exchange 2010 OWA Redirect with Authentication Across AD Site Exchange Server Administration 1
J OWA 2010 Sp1 custom themes Exchange Server Administration 2
K OWA breaks after moving mailbox to exch 2010 Exchange Server Administration 6
B OWA 2010 FBA Exchange Server Administration 2
S Owa failed to initialize after install of rollup 2 for Exchange 2010 SP1 Exchange Server Administration 9
B OWA 2010 without SSL Exchange Server Administration 7
M Exchange OWA 2010 acting quirky. Exchange Server Administration 2
M Integrated OCS with Exchange 2010 OWA didn't work over ISA server Exchange Server Administration 4
P OWA 2010 and multiple shared mailboxes Exchange Server Administration 2
M Exchange 2010 OWA '403 Access Denied' Exchange Server Administration 3
L OWA 2010 Don't want to Spell Check Signature Using Outlook 2
D Exchange 2010 SP1 OWA "reply" or "forward" error Exchange Server Administration 3
A OWA redirection in exchange 2010 and 2003 Exchange Server Administration 1
F Exchange 2010 - OWA 15 min auto logoff Exchange Server Administration 1
K exchange 2010 OWA and exchange 2003 coexist Exchange Server Administration 1
K exchange 2010 OWA and exchange 2003 coexist Exchange Server Administration 1
T space line on printing email with OWA 2010 (since SP1) Exchange Server Administration 3
S Email are getting saved in to draft folder while send from OWA 2010 runing on exhange server 2010 Exchange Server Administration 4
S Removing or hiding quicklinks in owa 2010 Exchange Server Administration 1
S OWA 2010 Cannot Delete Messages Exchange Server Administration 9
S OWA 2010 Windows Integrated Auth for Internal - FBA or NTLM for External Published Exchange Server Administration 4
à owa and powershell take times on exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 8
S Exchange 2010 OWA Search only returns 2 days worth Using Outlook 2
A Exchange 2007 <-> 2010 OWA not working together redirecting problem Exchange Server Administration 1
D Is there a way to turn off "group by conversation" by default in OWA Exchange 2010? Using Outlook 2
S Exchange 2010 SP1 OWA Error Exchange Server Administration 2
W OWA 2010 SP1 - takes 20 mins to display new mail Exchange Server Administration 3
T Exchange 2010: attachments are not visible in outlook, but visible in OWA Using Outlook 1
Z Exchange 2007 Transitioning to Exchange 2010 SP 1, and OWA User Redirect or Proxying Exchange Server Administration 1
S Exchange 2003 coexistence with Exchange 2010 (Edge, OWA, Certificate, DNS considerations) Exchange Server Administration 3
S Exchange 2010 - owa/auth.owa Bad Request Exchange Server Administration 3
S Do you need a CAS Server in Order to Use OWA in Exchange 2010 (E14)? Exchange Server Administration 9
U OWA 2010 Limited Exchange Server Administration 4
Y public calendar using OWA on exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 7
B Exchange 2003 OWA/OA/AS over NAT and Exchange 2010 CAS Exchange Server Administration 4
T After updating Exchange 2010 from RTM to SP1, OWA clients cannot move or delete emails Using Outlook 4
S Exchange 2010 owa https not working Exchange Server Administration 5
J Exchange 2010 / 2003 OWA Problem Exchange Server Administration 2
M Error Publishing Exchange 2010 SP1 OWA through ISA 2006 SP2 Exchange Server Administration 14
B search function in owa 2010 failed Exchange Server Administration 6
K Some user cannot delete email in OWA Exchange 2010 SP1 Exchange Server Administration 5
A Public folder accessable from Outlook 2007, 2010, but not through OWA Exchange Server Administration 6
R A shared mailbox is not visible in Owa but it is in Outlook 2010 cliënt? Exchange Server Administration 11
A Cannot delete mail in OWA only after upgrading Exchange Server 2010 to SP1 Exchange Server Administration 30
K OWA 2010 SP1 Search problems Exchange Server Administration 34