Configuring Outlook 2003 for Gmail with both pop3 & imap4 accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gronlim

I have been using a pop3 gmail account with my Outlook 2003 mail client for years with no problems. Suddenly last Friday I started getting interruption errors with every send/receive attempt during which the same 17 emails repeatedly downloaded but the rest of the emails on my Gmail account would not. To solve this problem, I established an imap account. Now the emails download just fine, but I have many more folders to deal with. I am only using the imap account to get my emails into Outlook. I still use pop3 to send emails and the pop3 folder structure to store and maintain them. When the emails arrive in the imap inbox, I move the ones I do not want to the trash folder. The rest I distribute among several different pop3 folders and archives. I decided to move my most used folders to Favorite Folders for efficiency and ordering purposes. My problem is that every time I close Outlook, all but 4 of the Favorite Folders disappear (see screen prints attached for before and after pictures). You may also note that I have a shadow or ghost of my Personal Folders (appeared after I upgraded Outlook from 2002 to 2003), which I have not been successful at eliminating despite exhausting research and experimentation. Because of extensive customization, I do not wish to establish a new profile. Any ideas for my two issues?

Forum Admin

It's the gmail account that is having issues with pop3? Did you delete the message that was repeatedly downloading from the gmail account? (using a browser)

You might need to delete the messages before and after it too, but that *should* fix the problem, then you can remove the imap account and go back to using only the pop3.

If you can't fix the problem, you can unsubscribe from most of the imap folders. Right click on the imap inbo, choose imap folders and unsubscribe. You should unsubscribe from [All Mail] and can unsubscribe from all folder named for gmail labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Diane Poremsky Configuring SmartPhones to use EAS to Outlook.com New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Configuring an Outlook.com account in Outlook New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Configuring a Manual Send and Receive in Outlook New Slipstick.com Articles 0
G Need help configuring a PRF for Outlook 2010 and 2013 Using Outlook 0
V Configuring a new IMAP email account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
V iCloud Configuring @me.com in Outlook (updated) Using Outlook 1
B Microsoft office outlook 2007 showing configuring outlook accounts for hours Using Outlook 6
M Configuring Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 5
S configuring outlook 2010 through macros Using Outlook 1
M Autodiscover not configuring Outlook Anywhere Using Outlook 10
C Configuring Inbox columns Using Outlook 2
B Configuring MS emails Using Outlook 8
V Need help on configuring Outook 2003 Rules and Alerts... Using Outlook 2
C Configuring Navigation shortcuts Using Outlook 3
M configuring email to sever Using Outlook 1
2 configuring external client access Exchange Server Administration 3
T Configuring Distribution Lists in Exchange 2010 Exchange Server Administration 3
C Configuring automatic reply with an approved message attached to original received message that will be forward to a 3rd party Using Outlook 2
D.Moore VB script to Digitaly Sign newly created outlook message Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
B Outlook 2016 Retail C2R keeps logging since update? Using Outlook 0
M outlook 365 trying to finish my sentences Using Outlook 0
D Outlook Address Book Using Outlook 0
B Emails get stuck in Outbox of Gmail IMAP in Outlook for Windows Using Outlook 0
C Not sync folders not found after MS Outlook 365 update Using Outlook 1
V Outlook 2016 Does Outlook-2016 (64 bit) work with iCloud for Windows ? Using Outlook 4
R Microsoft Outlook 2016 - Gmail not sending, asks for password for SMTP, tried different ports Using Outlook 23
V Outlook 2016 Outlook-2016 and iCloud for Windows - Problems Using Outlook 2
O VBA Outlook Message Attachment - Array Index Out of Bounds Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
K Imap PC Outlook + Android phone Using Outlook 1
GregS Outlook 2016 Move Outlook to new computer? Using Outlook 4
I Outlook 2003 shows html code when To: field is empty Using Outlook 7
O The Outlook API wrongfully shows an outlook folder to have zero sub-folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
O The Outlook API wrongfully shows an outlook folder to have zero sub-folders Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C All Gmails don't show in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 3
D Outlook 2007 vs. Outlook 2010 -- ToDo Bar Using Outlook 0
U Outlook 2016 Outlook 2016 sender name Using Outlook 1
T Compuserve, Yahoo, Oath2 and Outlook 2013 Using Outlook 4
E Work uses live accounts for emails for all employees. Can we use the outlook calendar to give the employees an universal work schedule calendar? Using Outlook 1
witzker Macro to move @domain.xx of a Spammail to Blacklist in Outlook 2019 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 6
D Outlook 2007 on 365 Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
S Macro for other actions - Outlook 2007 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 23
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 2
pcunite Outlook 2019/O365 Build 13127.20408 errors when using MAPI calls Using Outlook 1
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2010 Outlook in Windows 10 keeps asking for user name and password repeatedly Using Outlook 14
S Outlook mail adressing stops after first match in GAL Using Outlook 0
A Apply Selected Emails to outlook rules and Run Rules Using Outlook 5
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
J How do I disable advertising in Outlook 2019? Using Outlook 13
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0