Making Outlook default client in share charm

Status
Not open for further replies.

richw2

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
When trying to share a story in Microsoft News (WIN 10) to the share (charm?), the Mail icon loads what I think is Win 10 mail which doesn't work...keeps crashing which I don't use anyway. Is there a way to make the share to mail load Outlook? Thanks in advance for any help or explanation.

Rich W.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
This is the news app? (Interesting... the Share charm isn't present when viewing every article.)

It looks like it is hard coded to use the mail app (and other apps), not the default email client. I'll check, but i don't think we can change it.

richw2

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Thanks Diane...
Yes the News app, and the article had the Share charm at the top (menu?). Click it and the list of available share options slides out from the right. The Mail app is at the top of the list of a host of others. I did find out that my mail app was not set up (since I use Outlook 2016) but upon trying to add an account I keep getting an error. A little digging in Bing/Google showed a lot of folks having the same problem of not being able to setup an account. Doesn't bother me too much as like I said I use Outlook 2016 and wouldn't want to change. Hence the question if it is possible to change the mail charm default to Outlook. By your reply, things aren't looking good :(. Hope you find out different :D. Thanks again for investigating.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Apparently the share charm isn't used when the article has share buttons in it. I haven't heard back from the people who would know if we can change the mail app.

richw2

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server
Well after much more digging, I got the Win 10 mail app to work. Had to change my user login to local from Microsoft acct. and was able to add my email acct to the Win 10 mail app. Then I changed my local acct. login back to the Microsoft acct. and all is well. Loaded the News app, selected an article, clicked the share icon and opened the mail app and walla! it opened with the article ready to send which I did (to myself). It sent a link to the article and an attachment which ended up to be the main picture in the article. So all is working as I would suspect it should. Now to wait for an answer to the question whether the default mail app (Win 10 Mail App.) can be changed :rolleyes:.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
P Making iCloud the default calendar for Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 3
Z Making Outlook Default folders to local/personal instead of Hotmail Using Outlook 8
V Making Windows Live Account Calendar My Default In Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 2
D Making Home Tab default view in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 11
V Making a Date field mandatory in outlook form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Outlook 2019 having issues with 'people search' and not making suggestions in email To: etc Using Outlook 12
R Not all incoming e-mail is making it to my outlook e-mail. Using Outlook 1
L Re: help making Outlook 2010 reading pane zoom pervasive Using Outlook 1
T Outlook 2003 - Making a distribution list from a contact folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
J Making custom Outlook 2007 folders emptiable like "Deleted Items" Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
CWM030 Thinking about making the plunge. Exchange Server Administration 6
M Making Subject field writable (disable Read Only) Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
L Making rule to move email to folder from one O365 domain Using Outlook 1
Michael R Belleville Making an Attachment Name the Message Subject Using Outlook 2
Pierce007 Maps/location in making an appointment Using Outlook 2
D No Follow up when making new form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
C Safeguards against accidental deletion / making inactive. BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
T Need help making RULE to prepend email SUBJECT Using Outlook 3
I Making public calendar default for generated events Using Outlook 1
B Making an email list out of a distribution list to send to someone else who will make the distributi Using Outlook 2
T Making rule to delete mails en folder. Using Outlook 1
J Making 'Month' the Default View In Calendar 2010 Using Outlook 4
J Making field editable in custom form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
P outlook 2008 search box criteria couldn't be saved Using Outlook 1
pcunite Outlook 2019/O365 Build 13127.20408 errors when using MAPI calls Using Outlook 0
C Outlook with Office365 - search across account, by date rate, in multiple folders - how? Using Outlook 1
D Outlook 2010 Outlook in Windows 10 keeps asking for user name and password repeatedly Using Outlook 0
S Outlook mail adressing stops after first match in GAL Using Outlook 0
A Apply Selected Emails to outlook rules and Run Rules Using Outlook 5
T Changing Sent Items location in Outlook 2019 Using Outlook 0
J How do I disable advertising in Outlook 2019? Using Outlook 5
S Outlook (2016 32bit; Gmail IMAP) - Save sent message to Outllook Folder Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
L Unable to Sync Web/Android MS To Do with Windows Outlook Tasks Using Outlook 3
S Macro to move “Re:” & “FWD:” email recieved the shared inbox to a subfolder in outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to send auto acknowledge mail only to new mails received to a specific shared inbox Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
S Outlook Macro to move reply mail based on the key word in the subjectline Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
B Outlook Calendar not coming down from cloud Using Outlook 2
Terry Sullivan Sender's Name Doesn't Appear in the From Field on Outlook 365/IMAP Using Outlook 2
GregS Outlook 2016 Can I disable the Outlook Outbox? Using Outlook 2
P Outlook pst file is too huge with POP3. How to save more space? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook Contacts Notes Field Photos to Smartphone Using Outlook 0
Paula S. Outlook 2013 won't recognize new password Using Outlook 4
J Want to learn VBA Macros for Outlook. What book can you recommend? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
A Backup Email Accounts On OutLook For Mac 2016 (Microsoft 365 subscription version) Using Outlook 0
J Time Zone Issues - Outlook Calendar and Webcal Feed Using Outlook 8
J Are the underlined letters in Outlook Reminders window supposed to work? Using Outlook 0
M Office 2016 Outlook is forgetting passwords Using Outlook 14
G How to add a folder shortcut to outlook quick access toolbar? Using Outlook 6
W Outlook WAS facebook but there is no info for old accounts Using Outlook 0
E Can one still buy Outlook (or Office) 2016? Using Outlook 6