How To Repair OST File & Export OST File to Outlook PST ?

Status
Not open for further replies.

richardstafford94

Outlook version
Outlook 2013 64 bit
Email Account
Exchange Server 2013
I am using office 2013 and due to some reason outlook ost got corrupted. Please suggest me some easy ways to recover corrupted ost files to pst

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
The recommended fix is to just rename the ost if its from an IMAP account or delete it if belongs to an Exchange account and let outlook rebuild it. If the ost is really large and your network slow, you could use a scanpst on it.

R

ruth83

I am using office 2013 and due to some reason outlook ost got corrupted. Please suggest me some easy ways to recover corrupted ost files to pst
This is dubious. I ain't buying it. You came and posted such a question that only attracts the snake-oil merchants. I don't understand this. If you had an OST file, why would you like to convert it into PST format? Microsoft provides built-in tools like scanpst.exe and scanost.exe. Why don't you try them? It seems you're waiting for you partner who'll surely recommend you a tool that would magically work for you.

Diane Poremsky

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
Office 365 Exchange
Yes, the OP posted only to attract snake oil merchants... in fact OP is associated with a specific snake oil merchant who recommended their product shortly after.... so partner came and was gone less than 2 hours later when i saw it and deleted. I debated whether to delete or leave the original message but figured real people might learn from it.. and if it attracts too many spammers, I'll lock it later.

Honestly, the ost to pst (and other formats to pst) people are the absolute worst spammers. They'll post a question as someone else then answer it. Many are just reselling other companies products. In one thread, i delete the spam, then posted an answer - I named the company and said they spammers and not to be trusted. They came back a few days later and posted again! Clearly either did not read before posting or did not understand English. Sad part is, these scammers make everyone less trustful of people from their country.

As for the need to convert ost to pst, the biggest reason is because ost only work with the account and profile that created them. if you need to access data in an orphaned ost, you need to convert to pst. This was most common with people leaving companies who had personal content in their mailbox and a laptop - they deleted the company account and lost their contacts. Now its needed by the lucky few who have an imap account and put stuff in the this computer only folders *and* made a backup of the ost file.
Convert an Offline File (.ost) to a Personal File (.pst)

Scanpost is no longer recommended - since its a copy of the server, just rename the ost and resync.

The only issue is with imap accounts in outlook 2013 and newer- they use an ost file and can store calendar & contacts, which are not backed up or synced anywhere.... and the ost is deleted when the account is deleted. Not pretty. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
M How do I Repair OST File from corruption and Recover OST data? Using Outlook 3
W Unable to open Outlook due to a corrupt file wgeelan_msn1.ost. Inbox repair tool to diagnose and repair errors in the file. Having difficulty using in Using Outlook 2
S Repair corrupt .PST & .OST files Using Outlook 5
DariTrevino MIcrosoft Outlook PST file cannot repair Using Outlook 1
A ScanPST finding errors but no Repair button Using Outlook 2
J Office 365 - Online Repair vs. Uninstall Reinstall Using Outlook 1
C scanpst.exe doesn't repair .pst file Using Outlook 1
Diane Poremsky Repair a Large Outlook Personal Folders File (over 2GB) New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky How to repair a damaged Outlook Personal Folders file (pst) New Slipstick.com Articles 0
makinmyway ScanPST.exe Missing Repair Button Using Outlook 15
D Trying to repair Outlook rules Using Outlook 5
V pst repeatedly needing repair Using Outlook 2
D pst repair Using Outlook 3
A repair outlook Using Outlook 2
L Outlook repair Using Outlook 1
R MS Office 2010 repair and pst files Using Outlook 2
F Inbox repair tool Using Outlook 1
R repair or reteve .pst files Using Outlook 2
S Inbox Repair Tool Using Outlook 1
G OUTLOOK 2007 UNABLE TO RECEIVE EMAILS CAN'T RUN INBOX REPAIR TOOL AND ERROR (OX8E0CCC18) Using Outlook 2
H Scan PST/Inbox Repair to Reports Fatal Error While Scanning File Using Outlook 1
H Outlook 2007 / repair / synchronisation Using Outlook 3
I Outlook 2007: When I run ScanPST it reports errors but there is no "Repair" button & "Make backup... Using Outlook 2
A Outlook no longer sends out messages ('Use Inbox Repair Tool') Using Outlook 2
C Outlook prompts to Inbox Repair Using Outlook 2
S Re: Repair Mailbox Exchange Server Administration 3
S Repair Mailbox Exchange Server Administration 6
K Inbox repair Using Outlook 2
L how to repair missing send box in a forwarded message in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
C Scanpst repair utility not responding when selected to repair files. Using Outlook 5
N Can't open or repair pst. file Using Outlook 1
N Inbox repair tool - scanpst.exe. That file is missing from my computer. Using Outlook 2
R Unable to open outlook with out a PC restart. Then I have to go into tools, repair, before I can get emails. Using Outlook 1
B outlook will not work says either reload or repair Using Outlook 2
M Exchange 2010 SP1 Calendar Repair Assistant configured, doesn't appear to run Exchange Server Administration 2
R Can't find scanpst.exe anywhere on my PC - Office Pro 2010. How can I repair a corrupt PST file? Using Outlook 2
M 0x80040600 error to scan.pstexe but then will not open the file to repair Using Outlook 2
M Registry repair Using Outlook 1
A Problems after using Cropping tool and Inbox Repair Tool and setting up a new internet mail account. Using Outlook 4
A MS Outlook Inbox Repair Tool Issue. Using Outlook 1
A Outlook 2007 errors have been detected. Can't locate the personal file I need run the scanpst.exe on so the repair can take place. Using Outlook 3
A Problems After running the cropping tool and the inbox repair tool. Using Outlook 2
B repair my outlook install message I get when trying to Sned/Receive emails Using Outlook 1
S Inbox Repair Tool fixed problems but I am still not able to open Outlook Using Outlook 2
Z Inbox Repair Tool not fixing it Using Outlook 1
J inbox repair tool (scanpst.exe) for windows vista Using Outlook 2
W Inbox Repair Tool missing Using Outlook 5
N Outlook no longer starts (including safe mode, repair does not work either) Using Outlook 3
C How should I repair my DAG if the FSW( File Share Witness ) Server fails? Exchange Server Administration 4
E How to diagnose and repair Outlook 2007?__Tabs and buttons on Ribbon inoperative; should be active. Using Outlook 2