Outlook 2016 Outlook crashes when trying to print certain emails

Biff1957

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
This has been asked previously but not resolved. A friend tries to print a Costco certificate/coupon, it says connecting to printer but never does and then crashes Outlook 2016 IMAP. I forwarded the email to myself using Microsoft 365 and that same thing happens. Other emails print right away, no problem. I read something about an invalid character in the email that prevents printing? My work around was to save as, and picked .html, which I was able to print. Unfortunately this is not a workable solution for my elderly friend. Any suggestions , explanations or causes for this happening would be appreciated. Thank You.

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Maybe if he printed to PDF, then opened and printed the PDF file?

Biff1957

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Maybe if he printed to PDF, then opened and printed the PDF file?
Good thought but the second your select File > Print - Outlook freezes and you can not select any other print to options. The Save As option was pretty much the only thing that worked but pdf was not one of the options.

outlook print.JPG

Vincenzo

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
There's probably a more sophisticated solution, but how about using the Snipping Tool to take screenshot and print that? You may have to use Teamviewer (or even Facetime) to help him if he is computer challenged.

Biff1957

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
There's probably a more sophisticated solution, but how about using the Snipping Tool to take screenshot and print that? You may have to use Teamviewer (or even Facetime) to help him if he is computer challenged.
I was hoping there would be a technical reason and solution for Outlook not being able to print this type of email. Yes, there are workarounds but he (like many of us) have paid extra to have programs like Microsoft Office. I will contact Microsoft support as well. BTW - He using a gmail imap account and when he signs into gmail via the web portal he can print the email no problem. So the problem seems to be with Outlook. I will report any info I get from MS support.

Biff1957

Outlook version
Outlook 2016 32 bit
Email Account
IMAP
Microsoft 365 Support response: The problematic email may contain encryption preventing it not to print. Workaround save email by copying and pasting to notepad then printing. Or do as I did Save As an .html and then print the html. If you sign into Outlook.com you can print encrypted email no problem (because you are printing the entire webpage, not just the email) --- So I am not sure what good encryption does for you if you can print via web portals. And, not great that Outlook crashes instead of warning you that it can not print a particular email.

Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
D Outlook 2007 crashes when opening an email Using Outlook 2
O Outlook 2016 crashes at start Using Outlook 14
mrje1 Outlook 2016 Manual Email Account Setup, what is the Office 365 option etc., and Crashes Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Outlook crashes when viewing HTML Messages New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Outlook Crashes When You Reply or Create a New Message New Slipstick.com Articles 0
J Outlook 2013 crashes saving VBA & clicking tools | digital signature Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
U outlook 2010 freezes/crashes when opening encrypted e-mails Using Outlook 0
T Outlook Connector crashes outlook! Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
M Outlook 2007 crashes with BCM BCM (Business Contact Manager) 1
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 Help setting up Gmail account in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
C-S-R How to clear an Outlook (To Do) Task Flag? Using Outlook 7
N How do I make Outlook autocomplete addresses from a list of recognised <full_names> only? Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2019 UI changes after 20H2 update Using Outlook 1
R How to restrict GWSMO sync to Outlook Send/Receive cycles Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2007 crash linked to gdiplus.dll Using Outlook 0
P Sending email from outlook IMAP to GMAIL where embedded images are added as attachment Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010 How could I globally redesign an outlook template form/region/inspector template used to display mail lists or an individual mails? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T The Linked Image Cannot Be Displayed in Outlook Using Outlook 5
M Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 with O365 / Exchange Online Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2016 Change how Outlook shows me contacts in emails Using Outlook 0
A OutLook For Mac 16.46 Comes Up In Small Window When Opening Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007 - Automatic purge fail Using Outlook 0
T Outlook creating unwanted tasks in Tasks and Todo from emails Using Outlook 1
V vBA for searching a cell's contents in Outlook and retrieving the subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B vBA for exporting excel file from outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Horsepower Moving emails between folder Outlook for Mac Outlook Wishlist 8
Travis Lloyd Messages Won't Display In Outlook 2019 Home & Business Using Outlook 0
J Outlook 2019 i dont want to buy the snake oil ost to pst programs Using Outlook 1
T Outlook Template - textbox visible based on combobox selection Using Outlook 1
D We're sorry but outlook has run into an error Using Outlook 6
F Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 and GMail Using Outlook 0
M Reverting The Outlook Search Box Location (or other undesired additions) Using Outlook 1
M Disable Contact Card Results when using "Search People" in Outlook Ribbon Using Outlook 7
P i-Phone 6s Plus receiving 2 notifications from Outlook email Using Outlook 1
C WARNING - DO NOT USE AN OUTLOOK.COM ADDRESS FOR GOOGLE ACCOUNT RECOVERY EMAIL Using Outlook 10
D Outlook 2016 Unable to load Outlook data pst file Using Outlook 5
M White square in body of Outlook Messages (O2016 Version 2012 32bit Click To Run) Using Outlook 4
M Outlook, send to > mail recipient - results in plain text email Using Outlook 1
R Why doesn't outlook use "Normal" style for new messages? Using Outlook 4
D Outlook 2016 Outlook not saving Sent Items Using Outlook 4
R How to Sync *all* Google Workspace Mail Folders with Outlook 2019 (MS365) Using Outlook 3
G Outlook 365 with iCloud account not syncing calendars Using Outlook 2
D Outlook 2016 Outlook Error Msg "The operation cannot be performed ..." How to Stop it Using Outlook 3
D Outlook.com premium finally dying... what do I do with my domain? Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
witzker Outlook 2019 is cutting Picture Extension *.pn_ Using Outlook 3
S Is there a free version of outlook? Using Outlook 0
peterbata Shared Tasks Outlook for Mac Using Outlook 3
L Ideas for Setup with New Office 365 Family Subscription (Outlook) Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 3
M Issue transferring Outlook 2016 email accounts & settings onto new computer Using Outlook 8