Configuring Outlook 2003 for Gmail with both pop3 & imap4 accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gronlim

I have been using a pop3 gmail account with my Outlook 2003 mail client for years with no problems. Suddenly last Friday I started getting interruption errors with every send/receive attempt during which the same 17 emails repeatedly downloaded but the rest of the emails on my Gmail account would not. To solve this problem, I established an imap account. Now the emails download just fine, but I have many more folders to deal with. I am only using the imap account to get my emails into Outlook. I still use pop3 to send emails and the pop3 folder structure to store and maintain them. When the emails arrive in the imap inbox, I move the ones I do not want to the trash folder. The rest I distribute among several different pop3 folders and archives. I decided to move my most used folders to Favorite Folders for efficiency and ordering purposes. My problem is that every time I close Outlook, all but 4 of the Favorite Folders disappear (see screen prints attached for before and after pictures). You may also note that I have a shadow or ghost of my Personal Folders (appeared after I upgraded Outlook from 2002 to 2003), which I have not been successful at eliminating despite exhausting research and experimentation. Because of extensive customization, I do not wish to establish a new profile. Any ideas for my two issues?

Forum Admin

It's the gmail account that is having issues with pop3? Did you delete the message that was repeatedly downloading from the gmail account? (using a browser)

You might need to delete the messages before and after it too, but that *should* fix the problem, then you can remove the imap account and go back to using only the pop3.

If you can't fix the problem, you can unsubscribe from most of the imap folders. Right click on the imap inbo, choose imap folders and unsubscribe. You should unsubscribe from [All Mail] and can unsubscribe from all folder named for gmail labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Diane Poremsky Configuring SmartPhones to use EAS to Outlook.com New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Configuring an Outlook.com account in Outlook New Slipstick.com Articles 0
Diane Poremsky Configuring a Manual Send and Receive in Outlook New Slipstick.com Articles 0
G Need help configuring a PRF for Outlook 2010 and 2013 Using Outlook 0
V Configuring a new IMAP email account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
V iCloud Configuring @me.com in Outlook (updated) Using Outlook 1
B Microsoft office outlook 2007 showing configuring outlook accounts for hours Using Outlook 6
M Configuring Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 5
M Autodiscover not configuring Outlook Anywhere Using Outlook 10
C Configuring Inbox columns Using Outlook 2
B Configuring MS emails Using Outlook 8
V Need help on configuring Outook 2003 Rules and Alerts... Using Outlook 2
C Configuring Navigation shortcuts Using Outlook 3
C What folders are needed when reinstalling Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
M Respond to Outlook Email Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
P Color Code or highlight folders in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
U Outlook locking up when replying to Email Using Outlook 4
J Outlook Autocomplete (Recipients) opens upward Using Outlook 2
A "Get Add-Ins" - Which Version of Outlook to use Using Outlook 1
O Newbie question: how to sync two Outlook -Exchange and IMAP- calendars? Using Outlook 4
P Syncing Outlook & iPhone Calendars Using Outlook 2
S Unable to extract text from an Outlook email message Using Outlook 2
O Outlook on Android: after sharing / sending a news article, draft remains open. Why? Using Outlook 1
T Outlook creates a copie of every mail I send Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 4
O Outlook - hidden contacts? Using Outlook 2
F Outlook 365 is "Possessed" Using Outlook 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Can someone explain syncing with Outlook and Gmail Using Outlook 3
K Outlook Office 365 VBA download attachment Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Gmail in Outlook 2010 preview issue Using Outlook 4
I Outlook is stuck at "Updating Calendar" Using Outlook 1
AmonRa Outlook 365 calendar - too much white space Using Outlook 0
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Outlook 2010 Help setting up Gmail account in Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 3
C-S-R How to clear an Outlook (To Do) Task Flag? Using Outlook 8
N How do I make Outlook autocomplete addresses from a list of recognised <full_names> only? Using Outlook 2
P Outlook 2019 UI changes after 20H2 update Using Outlook 1
R How to restrict GWSMO sync to Outlook Send/Receive cycles Using Outlook 0
B Outlook 2016 Unable to view images or logos on the outlook 2016 emails the same html code works well when i use outlook 2010 Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2007 crash linked to gdiplus.dll Using Outlook 0
P Sending email from outlook IMAP to GMAIL where embedded images are added as attachment Using Outlook 1
M Outlook 2010 How could I globally redesign an outlook template form/region/inspector template used to display mail lists or an individual mails? Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 0
T The Linked Image Cannot Be Displayed in Outlook Using Outlook 5
M Outlook 2010 Outlook 2010 with O365 / Exchange Online Using Outlook 0
S Outlook 2016 Change how Outlook shows me contacts in emails Using Outlook 0
A OutLook For Mac 16.46 Comes Up In Small Window When Opening Using Outlook 4
S Outlook 2007 - Automatic purge fail Using Outlook 0
T Outlook creating unwanted tasks in Tasks and Todo from emails Using Outlook 1
V vBA for searching a cell's contents in Outlook and retrieving the subject line Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
B vBA for exporting excel file from outlook 2016 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
Horsepower Moving emails between folder Outlook for Mac Outlook Wishlist 8
Travis Lloyd Messages Won't Display In Outlook 2019 Home & Business Using Outlook 0