Configuring Outlook 2003 for Gmail with both pop3 & imap4 accounts

Status
Not open for further replies.

gronlim

I have been using a pop3 gmail account with my Outlook 2003 mail client for years with no problems. Suddenly last Friday I started getting interruption errors with every send/receive attempt during which the same 17 emails repeatedly downloaded but the rest of the emails on my Gmail account would not. To solve this problem, I established an imap account. Now the emails download just fine, but I have many more folders to deal with. I am only using the imap account to get my emails into Outlook. I still use pop3 to send emails and the pop3 folder structure to store and maintain them. When the emails arrive in the imap inbox, I move the ones I do not want to the trash folder. The rest I distribute among several different pop3 folders and archives. I decided to move my most used folders to Favorite Folders for efficiency and ordering purposes. My problem is that every time I close Outlook, all but 4 of the Favorite Folders disappear (see screen prints attached for before and after pictures). You may also note that I have a shadow or ghost of my Personal Folders (appeared after I upgraded Outlook from 2002 to 2003), which I have not been successful at eliminating despite exhausting research and experimentation. Because of extensive customization, I do not wish to establish a new profile. Any ideas for my two issues?

Forum Admin

It's the gmail account that is having issues with pop3? Did you delete the message that was repeatedly downloading from the gmail account? (using a browser)

You might need to delete the messages before and after it too, but that *should* fix the problem, then you can remove the imap account and go back to using only the pop3.

If you can't fix the problem, you can unsubscribe from most of the imap folders. Right click on the imap inbo, choose imap folders and unsubscribe. You should unsubscribe from [All Mail] and can unsubscribe from all folder named for gmail labels.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Similar threads
Thread starter Title Forum Replies Date
Diane Poremsky Configuring SmartPhones to use EAS to Outlook.com Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Configuring an Outlook.com account in Outlook Using Outlook 0
Diane Poremsky Configuring a Manual Send and Receive in Outlook Using Outlook 0
G Need help configuring a PRF for Outlook 2010 and 2013 Using Outlook 0
V Configuring a new IMAP email account in Outlook 2007 Using Outlook 4
V iCloud Configuring @me.com in Outlook (updated) Using Outlook 1
B Microsoft office outlook 2007 showing configuring outlook accounts for hours Using Outlook 6
M Configuring Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 5
M Autodiscover not configuring Outlook Anywhere Using Outlook 10
C Configuring Inbox columns Using Outlook 2
B Configuring MS emails Using Outlook 8
V Need help on configuring Outook 2003 Rules and Alerts... Using Outlook 2
C Configuring Navigation shortcuts Using Outlook 3
B Seeking help with Outlook rule Using Outlook 0
N Can't create NEW GROUP and add/remove a member from existing Group in Outlook Using Outlook 1
P Outlook tasks keeps changing (updating) dates that I type Using Outlook 2
M I cant send emails via Outlook in my W10 PC. Using Outlook 3
A Outlook Reminders not populating for certain events Using Outlook 2
O Moving "tasks" to inbox in Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 1
S HTML Code Embedded in String Within Open Outlook Email Preventing Replace(Application.ActiveInspector.CurrentItem.HTMLBody From Working Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 4
e_a_g_l_e_p_i Can emails from Gmail be deleted when they are downloaded to Outlook 2010 Using Outlook 1
cbufacchi Outlook 365 Populate custom Outlook Appoint form Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
Z Remove GMAIL IMAP account from Outlook 2016 Using Outlook 2
D Wrong email address in Outlook 2003 "From" tab in new outgoing emails Using Outlook 4
B Outlook 365 Populate Outlook Task UDFs from a UDF text string Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
witzker Outlook 2019 Pls. add a Prefix for OUTLOOK 2019 here Using Outlook 1
H Outlook 2019 intermittent search results Using Outlook 0
hstein POP3 latest Outlook Using Outlook 0
V Outlook 2003 and Windows 11 Using Outlook 4
J How to import many msg into different public folders in Outlook Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 7
I Outlook for Mac 2019 using on desktop and laptop IMAP on both need help with folders Using Outlook 1
A Reminder duplication Outlook and Outlook.com Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 5
F Moving Outlook to new PC Using Outlook 0
mll persistently customise columns in outlook advanced search Using Outlook 3
Ken Pascoe Outlook Categories Quick List Using Outlook 0
M All fonts in Outlook emails display with exaggerated character spacing Using Outlook 3
talla Can't open Outlook Item. Using Outlook 0
C Can't Locate an Unread Message in my Outlook view pane Using Outlook 0
C Outlook 2007 Removing then adding account restores junk email processing Using Outlook 0
P Importing other e-mail accounts into Outlook Using Outlook 1
J Read Outlook Form fields Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 3
B Inconsistent handling of message read/unread status by Outlook Using Outlook 3
R Rogue Outlook Rule ? Using Outlook 2
S vba outlook search string with special characters Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 1
F Wishlist Outlook suddenly began synchronizing deleted items every time I delete a single email. Using Outlook 2
U Outlook 2019 VBA run-time error 424 Outlook VBA and Custom Forms 2
K Outlook 2019 Randomly Disconnecting from Gmail Servers Using Outlook 8
P Outlook calendar and contacts sync problem-outlook disconnects Using Outlook.com accounts in Outlook 2
HarvMan Toggle between calendar and email in Outlook 365 Using Outlook 12
V Outlook error 500 Using Outlook 2